The Fish House - Fried Shrimp

There used to be a little fish place called The Fish House at Grand and LaSalle or Grand and Wells. To say it had the best fried shrimp ever cannot do justice to how good their fried shrimp was. If you ever had it, you know what I’m talking about. It closed about 5 years ago or so. Does anyone know what happened to it? It was a family-run place and I gather the Grand Avenue building was razed for development. The family decided not to re-locate, or at least that’s what I recall at the time. Have they possibly re-opened somewhere else? Is there a recipe anyone can provide?

Keep in mind, I don’t want to know about other restaurants’ fried shrimp unless you know how good The Fish House was. It would be a crime against humanity for the Fish House fried shrimp recipe to disappear. Thanks.

Googling “the fish house” “chicago” brings up this fragment of an article. Unfortunately, I’ve never been there, so I have no idea how anybody else’s shrimp stacks up. What was particularly notable about their recipe? Was it like cornmealy or spiced or otherwise different than a simple batter?

That’s the place. The article indicates The Fish House closed in 1997! I hadn’t realized quite how long it has been closed. I’m not too good at describing taste but they used fresh, large shrimp for starters. Their batter had certain flavoring that didn’t have such a a bready taste or feel as other places do. It was a bit crunchy even. Whatever was in it, it was unlike any other fried shrimp out there. I’d love to know if the family re-opened anywhere or if there’s anywhere that makes anything like it.

There I couldn’t help you. If you’re ever out near Pulaski and 26th, you might want to drop into Troha’s and compare. They’re at 4151 W. 26th. Big, fresh-tasting shrimp, crispy, been there forever (they claim to be Chicago first fried shrimp shack, or something like that.) Perhaps even more acclaimed is Calumet Fisheries at 3259 E. 95th Street. Their smoked items are perhaps their biggest draw, but their fried items are great, too. You probably know about Goose Island Shrimp–they’re a bit more hit and miss.

I still remember this place - with fondness and a deep regret that it’s gone. I can’t find anything on-line about it because I don’t want to subscribe to the service that holds the article. The Fish House was soooo good - I haven’t found anyplace as good, including the ones mentioned by pulykamell. My husband and I tried Troha’s, and it just wasn’t even close. Ditto for Calumet Fisheries. So I guess that’s it - we’ll just have to live with the pain.

Wow. I wish I knew about this place when it was around.

There is also this 24 hour gem:

Never tried the shrimp but the fish I had was nice. I went there at like 1am one slow monday morning and there were 4-5 people in there.

From a site newbie…

Speaking of Grand Ave and fried shrimp, one would have to include Rocky’s Bait Shop. It was located in a small trailer on the water just south of the “south” Navy Pier. A dozen was served up in a bag. I think it closed down in the winter months. It must have disappeared sometime in the mid/late 1970’s. It was run by a Greek father/son. Son’s name was Chris. Don’t recall his dad’s name.

I think the father’s name was Rocky. They built a building and you had to go to the trailer to get drinks. It dissapered one winter in the late 1980’s when the Pier was being renovated. There was also Al’s Fishery on Grand just west of the Outer Drive. There was a fellow named Jay that worked late at night when we would go in who was a real comedian. I really miss those days.

You’re right about the separate building and the trailer for the drinks. Being in the tradeshow business, I spent a lot of time down there. This was especially the case after McCormick Place burned as Navy Pier was pressed into use.

MUSTANG350 Rocky’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim
From a site newbie…

Speaking of Grand Ave and fried shrimp, one would have to include Rocky’s Bait Shop. It was located in a small trailer on the water just south of the “south” Navy Pier. A dozen was served up in a bag. I think it closed down in the winter months. It must have disappeared sometime in the mid/late 1970’s. It was run by a Greek father/son. Son’s name was Chris. Don’t recall his dad’s name.

I think the father’s name was Rocky. They built a building and you had to go to the trailer to get drinks. It dissapered one winter in the late 1980’s when the Pier was being renovated.

Howdy, I ran into this site while mousing around Google for old pics of Rocky’s Bait Shop.

Oddly enough, the next hit on the Google list is of the City council approval of a 2 yr lease for Rocky’s: " EXECUTION OF LEASE AGREEMENT WITH MR. JOSEPH PANZO
FOR PREMISES AT 142-144 NORTH STREETER DRIVE." (1987 to 1989 ,1,250.00 per mo, with a 90 day opt out by either party. ) An interesting read for those of us that remember those great Shrimp. The only comparable Shrimp we had were from a guy in a sidewalk pushcart at Grand & Harlem.
The entry begins on pg 279 of the PDF at http://www.chicityclerk.com/journals/1987/111087optimize.pdf There is also a Plat drawing of the property on pg 290. I’m still on the hunt for those pics…murph810

i cant belive i never knew about this place

Hi

My name is Joe Panzo. Rocky was my grandfather. Our business was called Rocky’s Bait Shop. We were located on Streetor Dr. at the lake front, south of Navy Pier, and directly in line with Dime Pier. We are italian, Not Greek. We were commercial perch fishermen, and we also caught and sold bait prior to selling fried shrimp(which was the best shrimp in the city).
Our business was started by my grandfather Rocky in the 1920s. He was born in Italy. Then my father and his two brothers took over the business and continued to run the business until the early 1990s which the city reclaimed their lake front property and put in a bike path. I am trying to collect some photos of Rocky’s Bait Shop ( Rocky’s and Sons fishery, which our entire business was also called)

Joe. Welcome. Thanks so much for your first person story. This is what this forum was trying to do. Pieces, parts. It all helps.

Joe…Send me your email and i can send you a bunch of pictures of Rocky and the shack…I spent all my free time down at the pier and knew Rocky,Paul and John very well…I spent many days fishing perch with Rocky on his boat the La Rosa and have pictures of him in front in his chair.I would be happy to share with you…I have been working on a book of all the old lakefront places that are no longer around and your Gramps was a bring part of that…I did post some pictures on Chowhound if you want to see some of them…

Up until at least the late 1970s there was a place on Lincoln Ave. just north of Foster that used to sell smoked fish. Can’t recall the name. Something like “The Smokehouse” or “Smokebarrel”. You could even bring in your own catch and they’d smoke it for you. Best smelling neighborhood for miles around.

Hi, I’m the daughter of Tony Davis, one of the owners and workers of The Fish House. Yes, it was closed in 97’ they sold the business. The Biancalana’s were the other owners. They did not move to another location. My father passed away 6 months later from a heart attack due to diabetes. I really appreciate all the kind comments, it’s heartwarming. He worked hard there for most of his life. I live in TN now, as does my Mother and 2 brothers. My brother Ed-who worked there for a long time has broken down the daily recipe to dinner portions. If I gave it to you…I would be a dead woman! Besides TN lacks good food, I have been considering starting small downtown where I live and providing them some of Chicago’s finest.

The place was called Berwyn Fisheries. Used to go there in the '60’s for smoked fish and lox. They also had fried shrimp. Moved out of the area in '66 but my aunt and uncle still lived in the area so we still got there into the '70’s.

It was on the NW corner of LIncoln and Berwyn

The Fish Keg on Howard has had a reputation for unbelievably tastey fried shrimp for over 50 years. I haven’t had any in quite a while but just having brought it back to mind is causing me to think about running out for some right now.

http://www.thefishkeg.com/