Anyone listening to the new U2 album?

No Line on the Horizon, just released on March 3rd.

(Disclaimer: I’m a huge U2 fan, and have been for years. I try not to drink the Kool-Aid, but it’s so tasty!)

I was pretty uninspired by the first single, “Get on Your Boots”-- I found it catchy, but a little insipid on repeat listens. Now that I’ve had a chance to listen to the whole album, though, I like it-- a lot. In some ways it’s “harder” and more raw-edged (a bit like Achtung Baby, in fact) and there is more processing, etc. in the production…but all of this centers around, and complements, the “classic” U2 sound-- the ringing guitars, soaring melodies, etc. It seems to be a much denser/more complex album, both musically and lyrically, and requires more “work” to get into, but the effort is well rewarded.

On several of the songs Bono employs a sort of fast-paced speech/singing delivery that he’s really never done on a studio album before, which I initially found offputting but gradually came to enjoy-- it’s a good match for the way his voice has matured over the years (since let’s face it, he can’t hit the high notes he used to!)

The song “Magnificent” lives up to its name, and I’ve heard several people describe it as the best U2 song of the past ten years.

I was initially apprehensive about this one, as I really enjoyed their previous album, but at this point I think they have surpassed themselves, and I look forward to seeing what else they’re going to come up with. (There is some information that they may be releasing a second, “quieter” album, Songs of Ascent, in 2010, in the middle of their tour-- much as they did with Zooropa in the middle of the Zoo TV tour).

I’m pleased. Downloaded it from amazon yesterday am (for $3.99!) and have listened through twice. Agree with you about “Magnificent”, also think “Moment of Surrender” and “Unknown Caller” are excellent. “Crazy” and “Comedy” rock really well. I just found myself thinking frequently that it sounded at times much more like “War” than like “All that you can’t leave behind” or “Atomic Bomb” (maybe it was the sense that there were more group vocals vs. Bono solos?).
I think the older sound is a good thing, not that I haven’t enjoyed those albums also. Intrigued by the idea of a more contemplative album following this, also.

I’m a U2 fan so I’ll say that up front.

I like it. It’s not going to set the world on fire, but I think it’s a solid CD.

I’m a big U2 fan, as if you couldn’t guess. It took a couple of listens for the album to grow on me (I initially listened to it last week when they started streaming it through u2.com), but I definitely like it – not their greatest album by any means, but it’s very solid.

“Magnificent” lives up to its name, and I also really like “Moment of Surrender” and “Breathe”. The only real clunker as far as I’m concerned is that for some reason there’s something about “I’ll Go Crazy if I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight” that really irritates me. I’m not really sure what it is, but I just don’t like that song.

It’s growing on me, I think, but I’m not sure if I’m trying to convince myself that it’s growing on me. I have loved U2 for a long time, and so far Breathe is the only thing that I can really say that fills the shoes they have created the last 20 years. I have seen all three Letterman performances, and they’re way better than the record.

I love the new album but then again I love just about everything U2 puts out, except for maybe “Rattle And Hum”. Overall, I’d say it’s not quite as good as “Pop” or “Achtung Baby”, but it’s definitely on par with “Joshua Tree” and the last 2 albums. And Magnificent really is the best song U2 have recorded in the past 30 years. Get On Your Boots is the only song I’ve been skipping.

I really like this CD a lot. Some songs have the same spirit that reminds me of a younger U2 around 1983 or so. I think some of these songs will sound great live. I love the experimentation as with Passengers too and I’m glad that they didn’t play it safe this time around. “No Line” doesn’t have a lot of obvious-sounding singles but really, that’s fine. U2 wanted to make a CD they wanted to make. I also look forward to the other release for this year called “Songs of Ascent”.