Are there any online Americana stations?

defined here.

Have you tried Pandora?

David Allen Coe is considered “Americana”? The house next door to me’s been sold to niggers David Allen Coe?

Well, David Allen Coe is country, right? But he ain’t exactly mainstream country, is he? That means he’s got to be alt-country.

AccuRadio.com has a Twang option that might fit the bill.

KEXP plays a fair amount of music that I think would be classed as Americana. It has a 3-hour show dedicated to “roots music” every Wednesday evening, and a 3-hour “country/alt-country” show every Thursday evening.

I assume you’re already familiar with No Depression?

How about WUMB? You can listen live, or choose from one of their streaming channels. And when you realize how much they brighten your day, remember that they are listener supported…:slight_smile:

If you want just straight-up country, leaning heavily on the classics and the old school (including bluegrass, country gospel, etc) I have to suggest the local station WGWD. A true treasure, and you can listen online.

Wow, thanks Niblet, that’s great. Something for everyone. If it turns out to be as good as it looks, I might even send them a buck or two.

Hijack: How do I put a desktop icon for it using Firefox? I guess I mean how do I get rid of the file icon and keep the other one? I’m presuming the folks who know the answer, know what I’m referring to.

That doesn’t work for me. Every one of the genres listed could fall within “Americana”, depending on who is doing what.

I don’t see “Twang” listed as an option.

What I am looking for is stuff like the playlist that Jyl Herschman (spelling undoubtedly wrong) played at the public radio station in Dallas (KERA 90.1?) in the '80’s. Fantastic.

It’s under “Country” at the top.

XM’s Outlaw Country isn’t bad either, but you’ll have to subscribe.

How about KPIG? It has been streaming since 1995.

You might want to try the discussion forums at Radio-Info (dot) Com, they have a wealth of radio (as well as some TV) information on formats and stations.

Really, really second KPIG. Been a listener since 2000. “Free Range DJs” who actually — no I’m not kidding — pick their OWN music. And that’s from a very wide source: straight alt-country, bluegrass, newgrass, zydeco, reggae, sixties rock, vintage country, and blues. Oh, and comedy bits and satirical fake commercials. Check the latest playlist on the KPIG website: This is the good stuff.

Well, I usually choose the option of creating stations based on particular songs or artists, rather than going with one of their “genre” stations. You can add as many songs/artist to a station as you like, and they will play other songs/artists based on that information. I have found some really great new music that way.

And… Bookmarked! That ought to give me my fix.

Found her. Although that station apparently refers to itself as Adult Alternative, it seems worthy of another bookmark.