When the wolfbane blooms and the moon is full and bright

…then it’s time for another pointless remake

Maybe with Anthony Hopkins in it, it won’t totally suck.

Saw the preview last night. I think it’s another instance of things that were once considered horror movie fare becoming action movie fare (and it’s not just vampires and werewolves. I think the most famous example might be Alien turning into the Aliens franchise). As an action movie, it looks interresting, but I’m on the fence about the trend as I see it.

I’m trying to figure out how they’re going to justify Benicio del toro as being British.

Before he was bitten by a werewolf, he was bitten by a Puerto Rican.

I’ll probably see it. I was a huge fan of the wolfman in my youth.

A Puerto Rican once bit my sister.

I think a “wolf man” realized with state-of-the-art effects has the potential to be a lot more horrific than the giant devil dogs featured in most modern werewolf movies, although the make-up man did express some reservations.

Rick Baker: “Going from Benicio to Benicio as the Wolfman isn’t a really extreme difference. … Here we have Benicio Del Toro, who’s practically the Wolfman already, to Benicio Del Toro with more hair and bigger teeth.”

Sorry, I think the trailer totally rocks & I’m stoked about seeing this. And I am a BIG fan of the original Universal horror classics. My only reservation is that I heard one possible plot feature had been that Talbot might not be a werewolf at all but a delusional homicidal maniac. THAT would have been interesting, but it looks like it’s been jettisoned by a very public metamorphasis.

I’m just amused that a thread about the Wolfman was posted by a poster furryman.

Benicio resembles Lon Chaney, Jr. here doesn’t he? Also, regarding nationality, Chaney didn’t even TRY to sound British in the original.

I have to say that I was really really hating the idea of this until I saw the trailer. It actually looks kind of cool and well done, interesting and quite different than what I was expecting.

To invoke another classic Horror studio, doesn’t it kinda look Hammer-esque?

Hijack: When, say, peasants in 18th-Century Europe spoke of a “werewolf,” what were they picturing? Something exactly like a wolf, except it was human yesterday? Or a bipedal, furry, fanged humanoid like in the old Univeral pictures? Or a wolf-only-more-so like in An American Werewolf in London? Or just a human-gone-mad-and-fierce? Or what?

I don’t know that reference!

Based purely and entirely on one viewing of that trailer, I would like to make the following prediction:

The dad, Anthony Hopkins, is a werewolf. He’s the one who killed the older brother, infected Benicio del Toro, and is responsible for the murder of whoever it is del Toro is supposed to have killed.

I’m still totally going to see it, even if it is predictable. Because werewolves are awesome.

To be fair, his character is returning home after spending years in the States.

One thing no remake/re-imagining can hope to compete with is the wonderful performance of Maria Ouspenskaya.

If I’m remembering the woodcuts I’ve seen correctly, usually the first (if supernatural), with occasional bouts of the last.

1512 woodcut by Lucas Cranach the elder depicts the werewolf as a hairy man crawling on all fours

1516 engraving depicts a much more wolflike example.

18th-century engraving (?) shows the werewolf as a huge bipedal beast with wolf-like head and claws (note that it doesn’t seem to respect rosaries)

Reality check: Directed by the man who did *Jumanji *and Hidalgo.

So, practically anything a director does with the idea could be claimed as more or less authentic WRT the fokloric source material.

I’m guessing sparkly werewolves are right out.