My daughter's cell phone turns itself off mysteriously--why?

I know this may be asking for something that’s not really findable or important, but…

Daughter has year-old LG Voyager. Verizon. Worked OK. Lately, she texts, sets it down for a few mins, and it turns itself off. She didn’t do it. No other problems.

Any thoughts?

My son’s LG Env2 was doing this, Verizon person cleaned out the contacts on the battery and the phone (it was pretty dirty) and we’ve had no problems with that phone since.

My daughter’s LG Env3 was doing this, Verizon person cleaned it but said it was a firmware problem, we got the upgrade, still same problem. We are going back to Verizon soon.

Are you sure she doesn’t just turn it off when she wants to dodge calls from you? I’m not being a smartass, but it’s perfectly possible.

Frankly, it’s an excuse I’ve used in the past.

My Env2 was doing that as well. I took the battery out and blew the battery contacts off, and it hasn’t done it since.

You could also try dabbing the contacts with a cotton swab dipped in alcohol if they look especially dirty. Just be careful that it’s fully dried before you plug the battery back in. I had to do that once with a previous phone.

If it keeps up, take it to a Verizon store and they should be able to help. If they suggest buying a new battery, I would probably try finding a refurbished one online somewhere, since buying the batteries directly from them is about 10x more expensive.

My sons would do that, my daughter wouldn’t. :slight_smile:

No, it’s a real problem. I hope the helpful suggestions by others will solve the problem. Off to clean the battery contacts first.

Did she ever drop it in water or otherwise get it wet?

My voyager did it too. They just replaced it for me.

Does it go through a shut down sequence as if you pressed the power button, or does it just blink off without warning?

You know how when you call tech support for a PC, the first thing they tell you is to reboot? They don’t have any idea if this will fix the problem, but it does fix a lot of problems, so they try the easy thing first. That’s what Verizon does with firmware/software upgrades. Verizon’s in-store tech support has been very spotty in my experience.

My daughter also has a Voyager and we have had it replaced under warranty twice for the same problem each time, which was a bad connection with the charger plug. That’s not data but it doesn’t surprise me to hear about other power-related issues.

I went in with low expectations, and we discussed both phones at the same time, the fact that they figured dirt for one and firmware for the other sounded like they knew what they were doing. At least they got one working.

My Voyager turns itself off from time-to-time, too… probably 1x a week. It’ll just shut off, even in the middle of texting. It’s been more frequent lately, too, so i may take it back for an exchange.
{hijack} On another note, i cannot fully express my distaste for this example of electronic rubbish. The touchscreen works horribly… it’s practically worthless. {/hijack}

Just popping in to post to say thanks for starting this thread! My LG ENv (first generation) is fine; Typo Knig’s however has been turning itself off at random times (sometimes when he hits a few keys at random; other times when he’s just been walking around with it in its case.

He took some alcohol and some Q-tips last night, cleaned out the contacts, let everything air dry… and alla sudden, it’s not turning itself off any more :slight_smile:

My mother has been having problems with a Motorola Razr from AT&T. She went to the store to look for a replacement phone, and they replaced the SIM card. That appears to have corrected some of the problems.

Yes, my phone has been good all weekend - even when it was in my pocket unprotected. My phone only turned off when I turned it off. :cool:

Thank you, RaftPeople and Electronic Chaos!!

Jumping in to say that my Voyager has been doing the same thing of late, and I am getting frustrated with it. I’ll try cleaning the contacts, thanks for the advice all!