Why is the "P" in corp silent?

Poor Obama mispronounced “corp” 3 times in his speech. Don’t they prep him?

Why is the P in “corp” silent? Are there any other words that have a silent P at the end?

As in Army Corps? :confused: Or an in corporation?

The “p” is pronounced if it’s short for corporation . . . as in “Citicorp.”

Many military members prefer to spell it without the s for some reason.

The p in corp is not silent. The p in corps is silent. I blame the French.

The P in “corps” is silent, as is the S. It’s “Mah-reen Core” or “Army Core of Engineers” as far as what’s heard goes. The “P” in “Corp.” is pronounced, along with the “-oration” that the period stands for. (In other words, you may write “3M Corp.” but what you’ll say is “Three-Em Corporation”.

I was referring to corps like in the Marine Corps or the Army Corps of Engineers, not a corporation.

Which speech, when? Link?

Sorry, I don’t have a link to the speech, but Obama was giving a speech just the other day to what might have been a military crowd and he pronounced the “ps” in corpsman (or similar) 3 times.

They played a clip of it on the news.

Then why did you misspell “corps” three times in your OP?

Carelessness.

OK, so I guess the question becomes what is it with the French that they can’t be bothered to pronounce the last few consonants of most of their words?

Perhaps it’s “What is it with the French that they can’t be bothered to bring the spelling of most of their words closer in line with their actual pronunciations?” instead…

And what is it with us, that we can’t be bothered making up our own words, rather than stealing them from other languages?

So, why do you use a foreign word like “languages”? And might I suggest that you request a change in your handle, to something a bit more Anglo-Saxon.

Soothly, thou ought’st read Uncleftish Beholding (what the Grecian and Romish wights term “atomic theory”).

Ignorance. Like why they say “cah-shay” for cache. Or why they think there is an iron ore deposit in Hudson Bay that throws off all their compasses.

The word “corps” is written and pronounced in French manner because the concept was first conceived and implemented by Napoleon.

Kinda highlights the pressure Obama is living with that he could make such a mistake.

My post was a response to njtt, nothing more.