Old 06-11-2010, 07:01 PM

anyone else already sick of Jaden Smith?

The Karate Kid didn't need to be remade!

The advertising on this is already up my nose. It's everywhere.

I'm tired of Jaden Smith already. I'm impressed he can do a split, but he's not a Jedi and Jackie Chan is not Yoda.

gah. Hollywood is devoid of fresh ideas.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:03 PM

Damn. I came in here specifically to say that with that name, Jaden is perfectly positioned to become a Jedi.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM

I've never even laid eyes on the kid except for the posters from his 2 movies, but I already think his parents are the two most clueless, feckless, self-centered idiots on the planet.

You get your kid a skateboard for his 10th birthday, not financing to remake his favorite film starring himself.

So yeah, I'm sick of Jaden but I'm also sick of his mom and dad.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM
BANNED

Didn't his parents say (with straight faces) that he had to audition for the role against dozens of other child actors???
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Its too bad, he would have made a perfect Riley in a Boondocks movie.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Not that I care about Jaden, Jada or Will, but if people can use their money and influence to get their kids into the best kindergartens/schools/camps/colleges/internships/jobs/entrepreneurial opportunities, why can't someone do something similar for their kid in the film industry if they are able to?

No one making you go see the film (seeing the ads all over aside), just like no one is making your invest your money with Biff's venture capital firm or frequent Brooke's lunch-lady boarding spa and resort.

Last edited by descamisado; 06-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
Didn't his parents say (with straight faces) that he had to audition for the role against dozens of other child actors???
I could believe it. I mean, with a totally straight face they okayed the script changes that moved the The Karate Kid.... to the land of Kung Fu! But then they kept the name because they wanted the easy marketing power it gave them, even if it makes their movie look retarded.

I bet I know some other remakes they could get involved in; I bet there's roles for the whole family in some of them!

Just think:

Sixteen Candles but it'll be about a 13 year old boy, not a 16 year old girl, and it'll mostly involve wacky hijinks related to a soapbox derby, but it's totally a remake.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descamisado View Post
Not that I care about Jaden, Jada or Will, but if people can use their money and influence to get their kids into the best kindergartens/schools/camps/colleges/internships/jobs/entrepreneurial opportunities, why can't someone do something similar for their kid in the film industry if they are able to?
Why not buy them a baseball team and let them run it?

It's okay, that's a rhetorical question there; I'm gonna answer it.

Manufacturing opportunities for your kid is fine, but there's no sense of scale here at all. The Smiths essentially went to other people, got TONS of money pledged for this film partially based on the argument that Jaden is someone that people will want to see on screen. He isn't. He's the son of a guy that people want to see on screen, and the son of a woman who people sometimes see on screen, tho not many people seem to want to much.

His parents have cranked up the Hollywood machine to manufacture approval for their son, now. This 10 year old with rich, well-connected parents has a huge industry no cranking out the word that he's cool, he's a great little actor, look how cute he is, etc. You don't see where this amount of effort, solely directed at making a 10 year old boy famous, could ultimately result in an insufferable adult human?

Quote:
Originally Posted by descamisado
No one making you go see the film (seeing the ads all over aside), just like no one is making your invest your money with Biff's venture capital firm or frequent Brooke's lunch-lady boarding spa and resort.
No, no one is making me see the film. But they are making it and putting it in our world, so I'm free to comment on it as I wish.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Biff and Brooke can be insufferable too, but not guaranteeably (is that a word?) so.

And if going to do what I describe in Hollywood, you do it the way Hollywood does for everybody and everything they're trying to market. People will decide if they want to (continue) see(ing) him or not. I was not commenting on your right to comment, just taking a position that's different from yours using the general "you."

Last edited by descamisado; 06-11-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
You get your kid a skateboard for his 10th birthday, not financing to remake his favorite film starring himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
Quote:
I could believe it. I mean, with a totally straight face they okayed the script changes that moved the The Karate Kid.... to the land of Kung Fu! But then they kept the name because they wanted the easy marketing power it gave them, even if it makes their movie look retarded.
Well I'm sure they'll just be crying all the way to the bank.

Assuming that the kid can actually act semi-decently, they're going to make several million and given their kid a start in making many several millions more in years ahead.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Biff and Brooke can be insufferable too, but not guaranteeably (is that a word?) so.

And if going to do what I describe in Hollywood, you do it the way Hollywood does for everybody and everything they're trying to market. People will decide if they want to (continue) see(ing) him or not. I was not commenting on your right to comment, just taking a position that's different from yours using the general "you."
I have no idea who Biff and Brooke are; I'll take your word for it that they can be insufferable.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning that to come back right at you as a retort. It's not like I'm sitting at my desk all red-faced tryin' to get all up in yo shee-it. Just laying out some of my feeling and reasoning, such as it is.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM

Most Will Smith movies = shit. I gave up long ago watching any of his horrible garbage (which sucks, because he has screen charisma). Funny how I have the sense that the new Karate Kid will suck because Will Smith has any involvement. Oh well.

And yes, I am sick to death of all the ads for the movie.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:09 PM

By the way, how do you think Sofia Coppola got started, with her first role playing "Child on a Steamship" at age 6, and many others, most given to her by or because of her father? Though not on the same scale or in the exact framework as JS/TKK, her father put her in roles after that over other actors who auditioned, and because of his name and influence, she was given opportunities to act and direct, where she many times stank by the way. She eventually went on to become successful and, as far as I can tell, has turned out alright -- actually, more than alright.

I'm not saying it's something I would do for my kid, even if I had the money, etc., but considering what people do for their kids in other walks of life using every resource at their disposal, I can't condemn Will and Jada. At least not until Jaden ends up a derelict, $5.00-a-throw-prostitute on West Sepulveda for hits of crack, or at least his career falters and he's repeatedly photographed drunk, getting out cars wearing loose jorts while clearly not wearing a jock strap; then we'll talk about getting him into therapy.

Bo, it's all good.

Last edited by descamisado; 06-11-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
By the way, how do you think Sofia Coppola got started, with her first role playing "Child on a Steamship" at age 6, and many others, most given to her by or because of her father? Though not on the same scale or in the exact framework as JS/TKK, her father put her in roles after that over other actors who auditioned, and because of his name and influence, she was given opportunities to act and direct, where she many times stank by the way. She eventually went on to become successful and, as far as I can tell, has turned out alright -- actually, more than alright.

I'm not saying it's something I would do for my kid, even if I had the money, etc., but considering what people do for their kids in other walks of life using every resource at their disposal, I can't condemn Will and Jada. At least not until Jaden ends up a derelict, $5.00-a-throw-prostitute on West Sepulveda for hits of crack, or at least his career falters and he's repeatedly photographed drunk, getting out cars wearing loose jorts while clearly not wearing a jock strap; then we'll talk about getting him into therapy.
Dude, just look at the sense of scale you call up in the Sofia Coppola story, versus this new film. Did Mr. Coppola spend $35 million dollars to remake a beloved Shirley Temple movie starring his daughter? No? Then I don't think the two situations bear comparison well.

BTW, that thing about him being on crack and shit? THAT would be a movie worth watching. Unfortunately, it'll be made and aired by Lifetime, and it'll star a young Emmanuelle Lewis, Jr.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 06-11-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
You don't see where this amount of effort, solely directed at making a 10 year old boy famous, could ultimately result in an insufferable adult human?
You're right, it could. But it doesn't have to- Drew Barrymore began acting earlier than this, and she's ended up a pretty stable person, even after the spectacular flameout in her teens. Ron Howard was a regular on an extremely popular TV show when he was four years younger than Jaden is now, and he's one of the most stable people in Hollywood. This early acting experience may ruin Jaden's life, but that's far from certain. It probably depends more on parenting than anything, and I've never seen anything that suggests that his parents are failing.

Actually, I can't even name the other movie that he's been in. The Karate Kid remake and what else?
Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 PM

I haven't seen the movie, and since we canceled our cable I don't see movie trailers anymore (we get our media through Hulu and Netflix and such and for some reason I only get the most obnoxious movie trailers that way, and we don't go the theater often. So I can't judge by trailers.) But according to all the reviews I've read, the little guy's charming and fun. So what's so bad?

Yes, Hollywood is out of ideas and returns to the well way, WAY too often. But if it never did, we wouldn't have the Judy Garland Wizard of Oz. This one, judging by what I've read, seems pretty inoffensive.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post
You're right, it could. But it doesn't have to- Drew Barrymore began acting earlier than this, and she's ended up a pretty stable person, even after the spectacular flameout in her teens. Ron Howard was a regular on an extremely popular TV show when he was four years younger than Jaden is now, and he's one of the most stable people in Hollywood. This early acting experience may ruin Jaden's life, but that's far from certain. It probably depends more on parenting than anything, and I've never seen anything that suggests that his parents are failing.

Actually, I can't even name the other movie that he's been in. The Karate Kid remake and what else?
He played Will Smith's character's son in The Pursuit of Happyness.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleciders View Post

He played opposite his dad in The Pursuit of Happyness. It's hard to rate his acting ability from that when all he had to do was say lines in front of his dad (also, that was four years ago).
Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
He played opposite his dad in The Pursuit of Happyness. It's hard to rate his acting ability from that when all he had to do was say lines in front of his dad (also, that was four years ago).
People who can't act are pretty damn noticeable on camera. The movie The Professional/Leon is nigh ruined in the last scene when a group of kids on a stairway are given a line that they all say together and they're all just so awkward and saying the line so artificially that it kicks you right out of the movie and makes you think, "Well damn...this was all fiction. Why should I care about these folks?"
Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 PM

My slight ire is more about his parents, whom I find annoying. But he doesn't seem to be a horrible actor. I saw him in The Pursuit of Happyness (why is it spelled that way, dammit?) and he did fine. I get that he was playing his dad's son, but it's possible to mess that up.

Personally, Jackie Chan as a Chinese Mr. Miyagi is most interesting to me. But give the Smiths credit, if this film is moderately successful, there's a buttload of sequels that can come of this and set Jaden up quite well for the future.

My biggest beef with the kid is that he looks like he's taking a shit when he sings/raps (saw a song he did with that Bieber kid) and that his name is Jaden. Seriously, people?
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 PM

I hate Jaden
I hate Will
I hate Jada

No good reason. Just blind, irrational hate.

Ok. I can think of a million dumb reasons. First of all, I hate him in this interview. I know in Hollywood, you have to be polished and prepped for your public, but I can't find a shred of genuine innocent childhood left in his fake ass, smartmouthed personality. Hate him.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 PM

So when do we hear the cries of offense from China that a movie about Kung Fu, a national art form and cultural treasure, is being labeled and marketed under the term "Karate", which is Japanese? (You know, the people who invaded and occupied China and some 70-80 years ago)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
So when do we hear the cries of offense from China that a movie about Kung Fu, a national art form and cultural treasure, is being labeled and marketed under the term "Karate", which is Japanese? (You know, the people who invaded and occupied China and some 70-80 years ago)
I believe the film is being marketed as "The Kung Fu Kid" in China.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
but I can't find a shred of genuine innocent childhood left in his fake ass, smartmouthed personality.
You nailed it---I can't stand when young children try to act like budding hipsters........

I will say I blame his attention-whore parents more than him however for his attitude and demeanor, as I am sure he was encouraged to act like that from birth.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What very specifically outrages me about this is that he's billed over Jackie Chan. Sure, he's the title character -- but Jackie Chan is, well, Jackie Chan.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Deja Vu: the last time a black actor took the role in a film with a traditionally white lead, there was a huge backlash as well. Of course, I'm referring to when Will Smith was cast as Robert Neville in I am Legend.

I also wonder why there was no backlash like this for the Pursuit of Happyness, nor is there a backlash of Jackie taking Pat Morita's place.

But, to address the OP, imho, if his parents are producing the film, they have every right to cast their kid in it. If it makes money, more power to them.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:21 AM

Two anecdotes based purely on memory, if you want the cite you can do me the favor of finding them for yourself.

For his role in the Pursuit of Happyness, Will insisted that Jaden audition for the part like everyone else. He (supposedly) had no part in the casting decisions.

Now we're not idiots here. Clearly Will Smith has as much pull as anyone in Hollywood and surely the producers would want to keep him happy, nepotism runs rampant in all walks of entertainment and there would be obvious appeal in casting real-life father and son in the parts. Still I believe Will Smith when he said Jaden had to earn the part on his own so as not to be forever framed as Will-Smith's-son.

Such that -story two- in the music video for Men in Black (the second one I think) there was a bit part written just for Jaden.

Toward the end of the video, all dressed in black he was to walk toward the camera, put on a pair of shades and start head-bopping to the beat. They ran several takes and Jaden just couldn't get it right. They decided to give choice number two a go at it, a young actress who pulled it off and went with her instead.

I think that says something.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 AM
BANNED

This is an attempt by parents to push their kids into show business.

We've seen it before, from Rumer "Potato Head" Willis, to Lucille Ball's kids.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
We've seen it before, from Rumer "Potato Head" Willis, to Lucille Ball's kids.
Aside from a few small parts in her parents movies when she was 8, Rumer Willis didn't start acting until she was an adult.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:30 AM

The original Karate Kid is on Netflix Watch Instantly - we watched most of it last night and I have to tell you I didn't remember it being such a truly good movie! It's a great quiet character piece.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat View Post
in the music video for Men in Black (the second one I think) there was a bit part written just for Jaden.

Toward the end of the video, all dressed in black he was to walk toward the camera, put on a pair of shades and start head-bopping to the beat. They ran several takes and Jaden just couldn't get it right. They decided to give choice number two a go at it, a young actress who pulled it off and went with her instead.

I think that says something.
Nope. Doesn't say anything. Jaden had it by default. He couldn't hack it. That is the only reason he lost the part to the head bopping girl. If he had managed to just bop his damn head without screwing that natural motion all up, he would have had the part, because it was written special for special him.

Now, I don't honestly hate this kid. The truth is, I don't judge Hollywood the way I judge anyone else. They are a subculture who have chosen to get paid the big bucks to be judged on dumb, shallow stuff. So Hollywood types are the only people I feel comfortable judging at all. If I knew Jaden personally, as an actual kid, not a Hollywood star, I might like him. (doubt it).
Old 06-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Actually Sofia's first role was Michael's baby son in The Godfather. Never too early!

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 06-12-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
The original Karate Kid is on Netflix Watch Instantly - we watched most of it last night and I have to tell you I didn't remember it being such a truly good movie! It's a great quiet character piece.
Yeah, it's surprisingly good.

The Smith kid is just too young looking for this role. He looks like he's about 9, and the whole romance thing is kind of creepy. You really want someone who is about 15 or 16 for this movie.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Actually, if you're going to have child actors, it's probably better for them if their parents are established movie stars - they're familiar with the industry, and they certainly won't steal all his money. You can't say the same about most Hollywood parents. Jaden will probably emerge from stardom emotionally whole, relatively speaking.

Last edited by Alessan; 06-12-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

I've always liked Will Smith; he seems like a decent human being. So of all the people I could stomach making a movie for their children, he'd be high on the list.

We saw the movie last night; I thought Jaden Smith did a great job. It was much, much more enjoyable than I expected it to be, and it was very true to the original films in its structure, plotline, and utter predictability. This was a genuinely good movie and it doesn't have to be carried by the young Jaden Smith. Smith is very likeable, though it's downright eerie at times how much he acts like his father. I think the child does have talent -- remember, Will Smith couldn't act for shit when he started FPoBA, and I now consider him to be pretty good. He may not be perfect, but I see a lot of potential for growth in the kid as an actor.

To be honest, if I was rich and famous and I had a child who was interested in show business, I'd be fronting the money to make it happen. Less endowed parents do things like this all the time for their children, just on a smaller scale.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 06-12-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
To be honest, if I was rich and famous and I had a child who was interested in show business, I'd be fronting the money to make it happen. Less endowed parents do things like this all the time for their children, just on a smaller scale.
Thank you.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Just quoting this part again so it can all sink in.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 PM

I guess the Smiffs are "entitled" to do whatever but I am not a fan of this kid and don't plan on being. Funny how he's an "actor" already. Is his exposure necessary? This remake? I wasn't a huge fan of the first film. Karate Kid? Really? Oh well. Nevermind.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I've always liked Will Smith; he seems like a decent human being. So of all the people I could stomach making a movie for their children, he'd be high on the list.

We saw the movie last night; I thought Jaden Smith did a great job. It was much, much more enjoyable than I expected it to be, and it was very true to the original films in its structure, plotline, and utter predictability. This was a genuinely good movie and it doesn't have to be carried by the young Jaden Smith. Smith is very likeable, though it's downright eerie at times how much he acts like his father. I think the child does have talent -- remember, Will Smith couldn't act for shit when he started FPoBA, and I now consider him to be pretty good. He may not be perfect, but I see a lot of potential for growth in the kid as an actor.
Good call on that. I remember in the early eps of Fresh Prince when he was reciting the lines along with the other actors. He's definitely gotten better from his early days. And I feel the same way about him. I haven't seen a huge number of his films, but for some reason I've always liked the guy, too. I probably won't see the Karate Kid--I don't really see a lot of movies in general. But I can't get too worked up over this either.

Side note--did you ever see Six Degrees of Separation? One of Will Smith's early parts. It's from 1993 but he's actually really good in it, IMO, and it's a good movie overall.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM

All I can say is the kid is very horrible in the commercials, so I don't plan to ever see this remake. Jackie Chan looks pretty good in the commercials, but I can always just go rent Rush Hour if I want to see Jackie Chan.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
Deja Vu: the last time a black actor took the role in a film with a traditionally white lead, there was a huge backlash as well. Of course, I'm referring to when Will Smith was cast as Robert Neville in I am Legend.
There was a backlash? By who? Most of the movie-going public didn't even know it was a remake (or, more precisely, that it was based on the same source material as a previous movie.) The backlash against "I Am Legend" was largely from a small subculture of sci-fi geeks who (a) didn't give a shit that Will Smith was black, (b) would certainly have disliked a lot of white actors more (Tom Cruise, anyone?) and (c) had a legitimate beef that the story's best part - the ending - was fucked up.

"The Karate Kid" was an IMMENSELY successful and beloved movie, and for good reason; it's an absolutely first-rate movie. The precedessors to "I Am Legend" were not immensely successful or popular, and for good reason; they weren't all that great.

If they'd remade "The Karate Kid" with another white kid there's no doubt in my mind, none at all, that the negativity would be about the same. I think we should all be glad they didn't try to foist Shia LeBoeuf off on us as a teenager and the star of this movie.

And anyway, these days black actors take formerly white roles all the time. "The Taking of Pelham 123," for example.

Quote:
I also wonder why there was no backlash like this for the Pursuit of Happyness...
Because it wasn't a remake.

Quote:
...nor is there a backlash of Jackie taking Pat Morita's place.
I've heard a lot of people question this move, and question whether Chan has the acting chops to match Morita's brilliant performance.

Last edited by RickJay; 06-12-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
There was a backlash? By who?
I think they're still complaining at IMDB message boards.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I think they're still complaining at IMDB message boards.
Ah, IMDB message boards, the Mos Eisley canteen of the Internet.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun99 View Post
Ah, IMDB message boards, the Mos Eisley canteen of the Internet.
No, no, Mos Eisley is Yahoo Answers.

Actually, Mos Eisley didn't have people stick their heads in, yell "Two Points!" then leave.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:41 PM

Why the hell would there be a backlash about Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness? The man the story is based on is black.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkMelon View Post
Why the hell would there be a backlash about Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness? The man the story is based on is black.
Against Jaden Smith in PoH, if the reason people are sick of him is not because he's black and is replacing a white actor in a remake.

Last edited by Superhal; 06-12-2010 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Against Jaden Smith in PoH, if the reason people are sick of him is not because he's black and is replacing a white actor in a remake.
Oh. Well PoH isn't a remake. :P
Old 06-12-2010, 06:15 PM

I find Jaden Smith somewhat annoying; however, I find most boys that age somewhat annoying.

However, all the reviews I've heard have been very positive about the story, both Smith and Chan as actors, how it plays out, etc.

Hubby and I will probably go see it - FWIW, I've never actually seen the original so it's like a brand new movie for me.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Nobody is knocking the Smiths for making things cushy for Jr. But when they say phoney shit like, "He has to audition like everyone else", it just comes off as silly as hell.

I just saw the movie and liked it alot. At the end people in the audience applauded, which doesn't happen to often that I notice. I think the kid worked hard and long to be that good in that flick, yet, I still dislike him and his whole family.

I have a random question about the movie. I will spoiler this for those who are anal about such things:

SPOILER:
In the film, I noticed that the Chinese characters where fascinated with touching Dre's hair. I have had this happen in real life...a Chinese girl liked to squeeze my daughter's hair. WTH? Is that a Chinese thing, or the sort of thing that happens anywhere else that doesn't see a lot of black people, or what?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJay View Post
I've heard a lot of people question this move, and question whether Chan has the acting chops to match Morita's brilliant performance.
I am a fan of the original Karate Kid and I must say, Mr. Chan turned in a very fine performance every bit as good as Mr. Morita's. He was my favorite part of the movie. I guess I've never really seen a Jackie Chan movie (I'm not into kung fu flicks as a genre) but he stole the show. I'd see it again just to watch him.

But is that his real nose? It's very, um, bulbous.