Computer doesn't recognize monitor (HDMI to DVI)

I have an Asus laptop (U30JC) with an HDMI out and a Samsung monitor (2253BW) with a DVI in. The laptop is running Windows 7 and has both Intel integrated graphics and an nVidia video card (most of the time it’s using the integrated graphics). If I simply connect the two VGA-VGA, it works fine, the monitor is automatically recognized and the signal switches over on its own – I haven’t needed to install any drivers or anything. If I connect the two using an HDMI-DVI cable, there is no signal, and the computer does not recognize that an external monitor is plugged in, even if I hit the button to switch displays. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this, as I’m new to Windows 7. How can I get this configuration working?

bump

Anybody? Bueller?

Some video cards have to be explicitly told there’s a TV on the other end of the cable, depending–see if your video driver settings have a button to “Force detection of TV displays”.

My PC also won’t detect the TV if it’s on the wrong input channel, which is different between VGA (6) and HDMI (4 or 5) on my Sharp Aquos.