Nested quotes have been discontinued

Based on mod/admin requests, the previously installed nested quotes function has been discontinued.

Many quotes were being mis-attributed because posters were deleting the wrong

[quote]
tags when editing nested posts.

Thank you. I hated those damn things.

You misspelled “started”.

Damn. I used the nested quotes function at least twice today, and thanked SDMB for making it easy, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t make any mis-attributions. Now I’ll have to revert to hand coding. Damn.

First they came for my nested quotes, and I said nothing . . .

Thank you.

Thank you. Now I’ll have to find some other tiny thing to bitch about. :smiley:

Dammit!!!

I was so glad when they came back, because without them it was a total pain to try and trace what people were referring to!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Awwwwwwwww

No, it’s “Grrrrrr. Arrrgh.” Sheesh.

It’s harder, but if you click the little “>” sign next to the name in the quote box it’ll take you back to that quoted post. Sometimes you have to do it a few times to see where the quotes started, but it’s easier then searching for it.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW

i want my nested quotes back

I agree. I found it a very useful function, and was glad when they were available again.

Any chance of getting a back-track button on quotes - so you don’t have to search for the context of what was quoted? More times that not you don’t need it, but it would come in handy and not create the clutter of nested quotes. Just a thought.

Is this not what the blue > button is that Joey P mentioned? Because if not, I’m not sure what you’re asking for.

Thanks - that’s perfect.

Damned visual pre-processor is always hiding shit on me. :dubious: :smack:

I quite liked them, and i think i always managed to edit them properly.

I was amazed, though, at how many people seemed completely incapable of working them out, making post after post with misattributions or with stray tags left all over the place.

And others, perhaps fearing to do it wrong, simply refused to edit their quotes down to manageable and reasonable size, leaving massive long nested quotes in places where they were completely unnecessary.

Not really. It’s slow and inefficient, as it reloads the page. Regardless, I’m impartial to the nested quotes.

Now where my avatars at?!

Well this was inevitable I guess. The idea itself isn’t bad but too many struggled with it, and I think it probably required more post editing than before.

Ugh. Nested quotes make conversations much easier to follow. And hand coding the things is irritating.