Old 11-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Your favorite vampire movie?

There have been tons of vampire-centric movies ranging from scary to funny to sparkly . But which one is your personal favorite?

Mine is probably Interview with the Vampire. Great acting and atmosphere, interesting story and characters. I absolutely love Lestat, and the way his flippantness contrasts with Louis' angst.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Setting aside anything involving Dracula (including Nosferatu)...

Interview is a FAR superior movie but for sheer scary fun, I almost have to go with The Lost Boys. Of course, right now, my head is really into Let Me In & LTROI.

Dracula-wise, I'd say the Coppola version with the original Nosferatu a close second, tho I really like the 1977 BBC Louis Jourdan production & have a soft spot in my heart for Lugosi's.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 AM

Hard to say but maybe Shadow Of The Vampire.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
That should not be hard to say. That is the creepiest most atmospheric vampire movie that I've seen.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
That should not be hard to say. That is the creepiest most atmospheric vampire movie that I've seen.
Hard to pick just one is what I meant to say.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Nosferatu. It was all downhill from there. No, I'm not being sarcastic -- it's a great film, one of the few that protrays the vampire as a MONSTER, no more, no less.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 AM

Easily Interview but with "Underworld" in second place (yes it was ultimately an action flick, but I loved the story and plot and it was refreshing to have a film actual present moral complexity rather than simply have good guys and bad guys).
Old 11-13-2010, 08:43 AM

The Hunger with Bowie and Deneuve isn't so bad, but the others mentioned are better.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Near Dark
Old 11-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Let The Right One In. Followed closely by The Lost Boys and Nosferatu. The latter suffers from some terrible acting, but is still the best version of Dracula. The Coppola version is beautifully filmed, but has nothing to do with the book, and replaces the plot of the original with a trite tragic romance. Interview With The Vampire is slightly closer to the book, but is entirely style over substance.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:06 AM

I didn't like those Anne Rice movies at all.

I agree with the person who said Lost Boys. I enjoyed the recent Let Me In (I haven't seen the Swedish original, which I hear is very good).

Absolutely cannot abide anything which uses that "150 year old vampire attending high school and hanging out with underage girls" approach.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Hmm, tough choice:

Let the right one in (Swedisch version) because it is just so sad.

Interview with the vampire because it is so romantic. Not boy/girl love, but people love. The friendship/marriage of Lestat and Louis lasts for over 80 years!

Bram Stokers Dracula because it is so gothic and no expense spared.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
I came in here to name that movie. Just an excellent, creepy, well acted film.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

The Lost Boys
Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM

Underworld, for me, for completely lowbrow reasons (Kate. Beckinsale.Leather. Oh, and I like both Sheen and Nighy a lot) and Nosferatu (either the original or the Kinski remake)
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

No...sparkles...!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 AM

I don't like vampires.

I like watching them die, though, so I'm going to say Blade.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfool View Post
Near Dark
"I hate it when they ain't shaved!" And Lance Henriksen! Great movie.

Interview, Lost Boys, Fright Night and the Frank Langella version, for the setting, romance, music, and Langella -- he was gorgeous.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

My favorite is Herzog's Nosferatu the Vampyre, mainly because of Isabelle Adjani.

After that, Shadow of the Vampire and Lugosi's Dracula.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Near Dark's my favorite.

Daybreakers is an underrated recent great.

Captain Kronos – Vampire Hunter is an underrated classic great.

From Dusk till Dawn, The Hunger, and Underworld are great due to Salma Hayek, Susan Sarandon, and Kate Beckinsale.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 PM

I saw Near Dark a few years ago in a screenwriting class. I never heard of when it came out, so I have say I feel its really underrated.

I don't have a favorite, but I do like Coppola's Dracula from 92. Of course, it has flaws.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:23 PM

For pure eye candy I'm partial to Christopher Lee's portrayals in the Hammer films of the Sixties.

The one that left me the most stunned was "Count Yorga, Vampire" which I saw at a drive-in theater in Tacoma, WA in 1971. It was during the time of the development of the antihero which was a new concept for me and the first vampire movie I'd ever seen where the good guys didn't prevail. The ending was horrifying and we drove away in shocked silence.

Yes, historically, the choice would have to be the original "Nosferatu." In the Seventies the teensy public library showed this herky-jerky silent film in Wayne, NE. Surprise. I was the mother of a three-year old and had wanted to see it. In that time the hope of that with the present media the average person could access the chances seemed slim. The only solution was to take daughter along and I questioned whether that wasd the correct thing to do.

So we had a talk. It might frighten you. If so, you need to whisper to Mommy and we'll leave.

We both loved it and still talk about our afternoon. Probably the most exciting thing that happened to us while we lived in NE!

But for my very favorite I'd have to say "Near Dark."

"Good times. . ."
Old 11-13-2010, 01:41 PM

Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr and Guy Maddin's Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 PM

Interview with the vampire is the best by very far, but, this thread can not continue without someone mentioning The Fearless Vampire Killers. Which is amazingly both quite scary and quite funny.

Last edited by Capitaine Zombie; 11-13-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Zombie View Post
Interview with the vampire is the best by very far.
It's truly bizarre how much tastes differ!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusoya View Post
Nosferatu. It was all downhill from there. No, I'm not being sarcastic -- it's a great film, one of the few that protrays the vampire as a MONSTER, no more, no less.
Very good point.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Although I don't think that it's a particularly great film, I liked 30 Days of Night for this same reason.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Ditto.

I can't understand the love for Coppola's Dracula. To me, it felt and looked like a live action Roadrunner cartoon. It showed a lack of respect to the source material. I'd rather watch one of the old Universal movies with John Carradine as Dracula or even Billy the kid vs Dracula
Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM

I'm not much of a vampire-movie watcher, but there's one that had a scene that continues to creep me out to this day. All I remember was a woman, I'm a assuming a vampire woman, standing outside of a house, just staring and staring at the house, while inside a young woman is having difficulty sleeping. Black and white. Ring any bells for anyone? It was very atmospheric and creepy.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 AM

Nosferatu (original) > Vampyr > Spanish-language Dracula > Dracula (original) > Dracula's Daughter. As I guess is obvious, I really like the older films.

I do like a lot of the newer films-- the first two Blade films are damn fun, and even Dracula 2000 is an interesting twist on the traditional story (plus it has a topless Vitamin C, which is all that it took to get me into the theater). Coppola's Dracula is good but a bit OTT; kinda reminded me of what would happen if Oliver Stone or Ken Russell did a vampire film. Shadow of the Vampire was interesting, but it came across like big-budget fan fic to me (a problem of my being overly fond (and protective) of the source material, I'm thinking).

I'll admit to a bit of sacrilege: I find the Cushing/Lee Dracula films for Hammer to be dull. I far prefer the alternate Hammer vampire movies that emphasize the erotic aspects: Countess Dracula, The Vampire Lovers, Twins of Evil, etc. I liked the expansion of the traditional vampire story to include Carmilla (Vampyr touched on it, but got lost in Dracula worship) and to more openly explore the subverted sexual themes inherent in vampirism in general. I similarly like Blood and Roses and The Hunger.

While I don't like the current crop of glittery vampires, I can appreciate the twisted sexual angle Ms. Meyer took in her stories. I've read plenty of complaints regarding the unhealthy relationships she portrayed, but I think she hit the nail on the head... that's what vampires are all about.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 AM

Lost Boys.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Innocent Blood with Anne Parillaud as the sexiest vampire ever to grace the screen and Robert Loggia as one of the scariest.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 AM

I like most of them, but I'll single out Dracula 2000 and Vampire's Kiss for their unique takes on the genre.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Another good one that I don't think has been mentioned is George Romero's Martin.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 AM

Another fun one that I forgot to mention, John Carpenter's Vampires. James Woods plays Jack Crow, a profane vampire hunter working for the Catholic Church.

Jack Crow: You ever seen a vampire?
Father Adam Guiteau: No I haven't.
Jack Crow: No... Well first of all, they're not romatic. Its not like they're a bunch of fuckin' fags hoppin' around in rented formal wear and seducing everybody in sight with cheesy Euro-trash accents, all right? Forget whatever you've seen in the movies: they don't turn into bats, crosses don't work. Garlic? You wanna try garlic? You could stand there with garlic around your neck and one of these buggers will bend you fucking over and take a walk up your strada-chocolata WHILE he's suckin' the blood outta your neck, all right? And they don't sleep in coffins lined in taffata. You wanna kill one, you drive a wooden stake right through his fuckin' heart. Sunlight turns 'em into crispy critters.

Last edited by gaffa; 11-14-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Interview with a Vampire is my favorite by far.

I consider Underworld the worst spent two hours of my life ever. Those are two hours of my life that I will never get back and will forever feel like the movie world owes me a debt for.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:31 AM

From Dusk Til Dawn is the funniest vampire movie I've ever seen.

Carlos: So, what, were they psychos, or...
Seth: Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires. Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Dog View Post
Although I don't think that it's a particularly great film, I liked 30 Days of Night for this same reason.
Ooh! I forgot that one. For those who don't know it, it has a cool premise: After an Alaskan town is plunged into darkness for a month, it is attacked by a bloodthirsty gang of vampires.
SPOILER:
A band of murderous vampires come to a little town so far up North that the night there, lasts a month. The people in the village can't run anywhere, and have to hide and somehow survive that month.
No sparkles or romance anywhere in that movie.

Last edited by Maastricht; 11-14-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Innocent Blood with Anne Parillaud as the sexiest vampire ever to grace the screen and Robert Loggia as one of the scariest.
And Don Rickles as one of the funniest.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:24 PM

No love for Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter?

John Carpenter's Vampire$ is a good one, as is From Dusk 'Til Dawn. Shadow of the Vampire was awesome.

The best though? Coppola's Dracula: it was the first I'd seen, having read Stoker's novel, and I was pleased it did so well at keeping to the story. The acting was generally crap (except Sir Anthony Hopkins as Van Helsing... I'd have loved to see HIM in a stand-alone Van Helsing flick instead of that pile of crap that Hugh Jackman was in...), but visuals were good and it gets really big points for staying to the novel. Plus, it had Winona Ryder in it.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

I still love the 1985 Fright Night. Roddy McDowall as a washed-up actor now presenting the friday night TV horror film double bill. Kid comes to him because he thinks his new neighbour is a vampire.

Also Chan-Wook Park's (Oldboy, Landy Vengeance) Thirst. Priest who has lost his faith volunteers for a dangerous medical experiment and becomes a vampire. Then a young woman in an abusive arranged marriage falls for him. Hilarious and sweet. Warning - contains slurping noises.

And I second John Carpenter's Vampires.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Well, I'll be the first to jump on the anime bandwagon: both Vampire Hunter D movies are fantastic, but Bloodlust gets my vote for the detail in the animation.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Agreed. It's a movie that actually gave me nighmares as an adult. The only other movie to do that was Eraserhead.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Fright Night
Lost Boys
John Carpenter's Vampires.

It's better when the vampires are the bad guys.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM

I thought I might be the first with Innocent Blood - gangsters and vampires! Clearly I was too slow.

And Lost Boys, which is the only vampire movie I own.

Last edited by Mrs. Cake; 11-15-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM

The BEST one is the 1979 Dracula with Frank Langella. Geez... that man was so freakin' sexy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079073/

My fav quote, said to Lucy in a sweet, soft, pensive, seductive voice:
Quote:
If, at any time, my company does not please you, you
will have only yourself to blame for an acquaintance who seldom
forces himself but is difficult to be rid of.
<sigh>

If you like this genre and haven't seen this one, give it a look.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Let the Right One In. It's very reminicent My Life as a Dog in places--alienated boy, confused pre-adolescent sexuality, lots of silence and spaces within (what I find) confusing social mores. More relevant to the topic, it also does a good job of taking familiar motifs--the master/Renfield relationship, the vampire's great treasure, the problem of eternal youth, the vampire's love of puzzles and need for an invitation--and turns them on their ear. It's a thorough deconstruction of everything familiar about vampire film and literature, set in a film mileux familiar to fans of foreign cinema.

I saw this at the local art theater when it came out. I walked out with my fists in the air, my heart filled with joy at having finally found the film that dared raise everything I loved about the genre to a plateau of high art. This, I thought, was a triumph, the greatest vampire film since Murnau. At last, a vampire film that I could champion with all my strength and breath.

Then I looked around me at my fellow patrons exiting the building. Everyone else was staring straight ahead, thoroughly freaked out.

Not sure what that says about me.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM

Lots of good mentions!!!

While most(if not all) of these were far better produced, I still gotta say my Favorite is 'Salem's Lot, the original made-for-TV movie from 1979.

This was my first scary movie that the baby-sitter let me stay up and watch with her when it first aired and set the course for my movie preferences the rest of my thus-far life. The images of the Glick brothers with their glowing eyes, and all the vampires crawling out of the darkness at the end still hold up, IMHO.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Blade.

Yeah, I'm lowbrow.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maastricht View Post
Let the right one in (Swedisch version) because it is just so sad.
This, followed by Interview With The Vampire.

I would love, love, love someone to make a decent version of the Bram Stoker Dracula. The Coppola one was ruined by several liberties with the story and Keanu Reeves's atrocious acting/accent.