Best (free) podcast app for Android Phones

I have a new-ish job that has me working overnights on Saturday nights, and my job let’s us listen to Ipods/phones/etc. during those times. I sometimes listen to music but I’m not a music person, and after a good 3 or 4 hours of straight music I tend to not want to hear music anymore. I am really really debating whether or not to pay the money for the ESPN Radio app (cuz I would gladly listen to that), but I’m curious as to what free podcast apps are out there.

So what’s the best? worst? what podcasts are on there that I should listen to?

I use google Listen which is free and good enough. It’s not the best app out there (I was spoiled by Blackberry’s podtrapper) but if you figure out the quirks the only real downside is that it doesn’t play video. The big upside is that you can manage your podcasts in google reader, which is more awesome than it sounds.

I’ll be back in a minute with a list of some good podcasts to check out. But for now, almost anything you can get on ESPN radio you can get in podcast form (I think).

Podcasts worth checking out

Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History - Possibly the one podcast I look forward to more than any other. Dan is a fantastic storyteller.
The Moth Podcast - True stories told live without notes. Always good.

Stuff You Should Know - General interest podcast about stuff that is interesting. Better than my description. One of my favorite things.

NPR’s Planet Money Podcast - Even if you think you aren’t all that into economics. Trust me.

Radiolab The Podcast - Even if you think you aren’t all that into science. Again, trust me. Possibly the best radio that is being made today.

This American Life - I am sure you have heard of this one. But it shouldn’t be forgotten.

NPR Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me - Comedy about news topics in the form of a game show. Another one you have probably heard of already.

The Bugle- John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman riffing on the news. Often very funny, sometimes a little long.

I am missing something I am sure, but these are my go to podcasts.

I also use Listen, mostly because of the Reader integration. I really hope Google updates it for Android 2.3, it’s been neglected too long.

Thank you for the podcast links NAF1138!

I just have an iPhone, but I have “Public Radio”, which is an app that streams pretty much all NPR shows, and has live streams of NPR stations across the country. For some reason Android Market isn’t searchable online for anything similar - but I’d give it a look.