Can Dentures "Just Fall Out" Of Your Mouth

I was reading a story and grandma is talking and while she’s talking her dentures just fall out of her mouth.

Now I’m not saying this is impossible, I’m sure it’s possible, but it seems unlikely they’d just “fall out.”

Or maybe they would? I would think you’d get some kind of warning “Oh they’re slipping” and then shut your mouth. Not that your just talking and they fall out with the next words out of your mouth.

So what is the truth? Can dentures just fall out while you’re talking without warning?

I don’t have dentures, but I know that you’re supposed to use stuff like Sea-Bond or whatever to kind of glue them in, aren’t you? One time I was doing a lung function test (breathing into a little machine-type thingy) on a patient, and his dentures fell right out onto the floor. It was hilarious, but I felt it would be inappropriate to laugh, so I laugh now, years later.

One time at Thanksgiving my father-in-law had a wee bit too much to drink and his dentures fell out onto the floor and landed under the dining table.

I’m still going through the fitting/adjustment process with temporary dentures and I can positively guarantee you they not only can but will fall out with no prior notice whatever. I’m resigned to never again eating in public unless my permanent dentures are one hell of a lot better fitting that what I’m dealing with now.

Yes, they can. At least uppers can and do fall out without any warning whatsoever. Very embarrassing.

Also, denture adhesive is disgusting and impossible to remove, IMO.

According to my dentist, lower dentures rarely fit well because they can’t span the area where the tongue is. The uppers conform to the entire roof of the mouth and have more area to form a seal. But I would imagine any of them could just fall out under the right circumstances.

Ever watch Americas Funniest Home Videos?

If they’re not held in by denture cream, they can easily fall out, especially if you’re talking or laughing or sneezing or yawning or . . . .

That shouldn’t happen, even without adhesive. They need to be refitted.

On the other hand, every mouth is different and I suppose it could happen. But my first step would be to re-fit, maybe with a different dentist.

My first husband had dentures in his early 20’s – his whole family has awful teeth. He had nothing but problems for years, and finally went to a new dentist. It took awhile – lots of adjustments – but he eventually ended up with dentures that didn’t slip.

I use Fixodent, and the only time I have a problem removing it is if I’ve just applied it. The best way to apply it is in little “dots” – use a toothpick. Don’t apply an unbroken line of adhesive – that’s too much and it’ll ooze out.

I’ve had them refitted a couple of times.

The basic problem is, I have a very touchy gag reflex. I had to have a lot of the area that covers the upper palate removed. My dentist says this is where a lot of the suction occurs. I’ve been using Polident, so I’ll give Fixodent a try.

I don’t think it’s the fault of the dentist, it’s just another one of my body’s charming little bugaboos.

I believe Fixodent has a tube that dispenses a very thin line of adhesive. I used this with temporaries while I was having bridge work done. The last solution for me when a 25 year old bridge tore out was to get implants to snap a partial into. Sticks tight, no adhesives.

I wish to heaven I had done this; I intend to take it up with the dentist during my next visit. I think it might be prohibitively expensive, though.

It ain’t cheap.

Wow. When I was little - under 6 years old - my dad used to “stick his teeth out” at me sometimes. I thought it was hilarious. I had completely forgotten about it until reading this thread.

Thanks for that. One of the few fun memories of my dad.

I’ve seen vomiting patients lose dentures, also harsh sneezing dropping the dentures onto laps.

Also, as time marches on, your gums shrink, so the dentures don’t fit as well.
Most elderly patients haven’t had their dentures ‘seen to’ in AGES.

And if you have relatives (with dentures) in hospitals / personal care homes, make noises to the staff re: proper patients mouth care, including ‘dentures in for meals’ and ‘dentures out at night’, as well as ‘dentures cleaned daily’.

Never mind my horror stories.

an seanchai