What is This French Expression? Sounds Like "Zoot-allay!"

Keenan Thompson does a bit on Saturday Night Live where he impersonates a French comedian. Whenever he says something [that he thinks is] witty, he exclaims something that sounds like “Zoot-allay!” and breaks into dance. Because, you know, that’s his shtick.

I thought that was just specific to Keenan’s act, but apparently this expression is a thing, because another person imitating a Frenchman (for comic effect) did the same thing on another show I saw last night.

What is it, and what does it mean?

Thanks!

Zut alors ?

‘Zut alors!’

Basically means ‘dangit!’

Zut Alors!

I’ve usually heard it translated as “damn”

ETA: Zut Alors people are fast

OK, since we’re doing french cuss words, my dad used to say something when he wanted to swear. It sounded like “mouche tabernac”.

I know “tabernac” is a quebecquois cuss, taking the holy tabernacle in vain. What was “mouche”?

If it helps, he was American, but had spent a good chunk of his life in Vermont near the Canadian border, so I suspect thats where he picked it up. So probably something they say in Quebec?

Do they have flies in Vermont or Quebec, by any chance?

Crap loads. And googling I see Mouche is french for ‘fly’ which I assume is what your driving at.

But “fly tabernacle” doesn’t make a lot of sense (granted curses are often pretty abstract).

And probably more importantly, I just made up the “mouche” spelling. I never saw him write it (and don’t even know if “mouche” was one word or two, though it sounded like one to my ear). The word had two syllables, the first sounded like the sound a cow makes, the second sounded like the “che” in the name Che Guevara.

As has been said, it’s “zut alors.” It’s French for “Look, a lors!”

I know that it is something they say a lot in French-as-a-second-language catholic elementary school textbooks targeted at the Anglo-Canadian market. My take is that it is a comically weak curse.

“zut alors” or “moochee tabernac”? If the latter and you’ve seen it spelled, do you know the spelling of the first word(s?)

maudit tabarnak.

If your father was prone to saying the “d” as “dz” (very common in Québecois French), then what you are remembering is likely 'maudit" (cursed/damned), which could be pronounced a little like “MO-(d)chee”…with a clipped ‘d’ sound.

I suck at phonetic spelling, especially with sounds from French written in English!

Thanks Mnemosyne!

One of those things I’ve been sort of wondering about on and off for a decade or so.

Sorry, zut alors. (zut, ZUT, ZUT!!!) But I’ve also seen the “maudit” mnemosyne mentions (although certainly not in any catholic elementary school textbook).

Glad I could help.

The word “maudit” might have been in a Catholic elementary textbook, as it is also used as a regular word and not just as profanity, as is the case with most Québecois profanity that originates in the church. You’ll see variant spellings and pronunciations - like tabarnak for tabernacle - to emphasize the curse or more accurately reflect the way it’s said when used, but these really are words used “every day” in religious contexts.

Two examples of the interesting duality of these words in Québec:

The Montreal Archdiocese’s ad campaign from a few years back consisted of giant signs with the words Tabernacle, Ciboire and Hostie, along with their proper definitions to “reclaim” the words. It was humourous and perhaps mildly scandalous and rather clever.

A Québec-based brewery, Unibroue (originate here, but they’ve been bought by Sleemans, which was bought by Sapporo…) names most of it’s beers off of Québecois folk tales and plays a little on sacrilege; La Maudite, L’eau bénite (“holy water”), Don de Dieu (“gift of God”) are some of their beer names.
I feel like I post a lot in threads about Québec profanity… either that, or the Habs. This year, the two seem to mix well… :stuck_out_tongue:

Could have been “moche” – I guess like a filthy tabernacle. I don’t remember enough of the IPA to write the standard vowels of that and “mouche,” but they’re pretty close-ish, I guess, to be mistaken depending on the accent. Never knew that francophone Canadians might say “dz” for “d” – good thing to keep in mind.

“Zut alors” is already covered – but who says that, anyway? It’s like a comic book slang – really corny. At least IME.

Of course, zut alors! isn’t actually pronounced like “zoot-allay” in French – the vowel in “zut” is a [y] or maybe a [ʏ], and “alors” is all wrong – but Americans really seem to enjoy transforming all French vowels into this ‘ayyyyy’ sound. So that’s what.

This said, I don’t think I’ve heard the specific word combination “maudit tabarnac” very often. And “maudit” doesn’t very much sound like “moo-chee”, but filtered through an American accent, it can end up sounding a bit like that.

Well yeah, and there’s a brewpub in Sherbrooke called the Siboire. Their ads play on the homophony between “ciboire” (the church vessel, and the swear word) and “si boire…” (“if drinking…”, followed by some witty thought).

In front of ‘i’ or ‘u’, ‘t’ and ‘d’ are usually pronounced with a certain amount of affrication in Canadian dialects of French (maybe others as well).

For instance, “petit” often is pronounced “p’tzit”.

Petit might be pronounced [pt[sub]s[/sub]ɪ], but there’s no ‘t’ there at the end. Although the feminine form petite would be something like [pt[sub]s[/sub]ɪt].

That is odd, isn’t it? It’s an interesting reflection of how non-francophones might hear the French language…full of “ayyy” sounds!

I’ve certainly heard maudit tabarnac…any pretty much any combination of terms. That’s why I thought of it, and imagined it through the ears of an Anglohone to suggest it.

I wonder if it’s semi-regional? Perhaps in the Gatineau region, people use certain combo-phrases of profanity, and in the Townships they use something else, etc? I wonder if anyone’s ever studied that? I am very much not a linguist and wouldn’t even know where to start looking!

My mom, who doesn’t drink beer, somehow got some of their coasters and gave them to us for Christmas (in our stocking). Despite being from Sherbrooke, I’ve never been there. I need to arrange to correct this oversight in my life.

This is the one linguistic fact that I know! It’s a bit of a shibboleth, apparently, since even a Québecois actor faking an otherwise good French accent will tend to do it. D->dz and t ->ts sounds both have it.

divan (couch) : France: “dee-vahn”, Québec “dzee-vahn”
petit (small): France “pe-tee”, Québec “pe-tzee”

I’ll leave the actual IPA sounds to you, HJ :wink:

Yeah, maybe, but I think I’d go with “maudit câlisse” before “maudit tabarnac”.

Maybe it’s been studied – the differences in vocabulary between different regions in Quebec certainly have, but I don’t know about this particular question – but I’m also not a linguist, it’s just a subject that interests me to some level. I’d really need to read some good books on the subject. Even when I transcribe some pronunciations using the IPA, I go with the few symbols that I know and with the help of Wikipedia. They may not be entirely accurate.

I don’t know when they opened, and their website seems silent on the question (other than to say the café part opened in 2009).

Ah, I see that they opened in 2007. That’s a few years after you moved from Sherbrooke I believe.