Good riddance to bad rubbish: Chuck Colson is dead

The fucker finally died, at 80 years old.

Sorry, but I don’t buy into the born-again thing, especially not for someone as devious and cynical as Colson was, so no, he doesn’t get any credit for working the God angle. He was a son of a bitch and a fucking traitorous asshole.

He will not be missed.

So the head CREEP is gone. What a nest of high-placed criminals they all were. That was a remarkably paranoid White House occupant that gave rise to these guys.

He was repentent. I’ll give him that. The rest of them never gave a rat’s ass. (sorry if I’ve forgotten someone who did give a rat’s ass).

Missed the edit window:
ETA: I didn’t realize I was in the pit. Rot in hell you scumbags. I hope the maggots get sick and puke in your festering corpses. If it’d been up to me you all would have been hanged, slowly, and repeatedly. Scum sucking traiterous bastards, you shit all over the country that gave you everything you had. Hang you by the balls is what I meant. I hope you spend eternity as an 8 year old boy with uncle Sandusky in your cell. Colson, you can leave when the Cubs win the series.

If rehabilitation is impossible, why not just kill everyone who goes to jail?

I mean, I haven’t been following the man, but if he really was doing good (or at least, avoiding doing bad) for the rest of his life, then I can’t join this pitting. I save that type of ire for unrepentant douchebags, and there’s enough of them that I don’t need any more ire.

I agree. But if there is going to be a reckoning (I don’t really believe there will be) then I’m going to pay a severe price when I get there, and Colson should do the same. So like I said, when the Cubs win the Series, Colson can move on. The rest of them deserve an eternal sentence. Except Nixon. Justice will only be achieved when he is entirely forgotten.

I think John Dean has been repentant.

Was he? The article linked in the OP makes it sound like he went on to do some good work with the prison system, but as for repenting for his actual crimes he seems to have come up somewhat short. He apparently died without having apologized to Ellsberg, and the article makes it sound like he was angrier at Mark Felt then he was at himself for how Watergate ended up going down.

Yeah, I’m sure the little weasel is sorry he got caught. That’s not repenting.

I don’t know what was in his heart. But if he didn’t really repent, he can rot in hell til the Cubs win the series. Which is the sentence I recommended before, but if you think about it, it’s pretty much the same as eternal damnation. Somewhere in there, those who admit their guilt and ask forgiveness ought to be given some. If he didn’t do that, let him rot. But since I actually believe he’s dead now, and exists no more in any meaningful sense, there isn’t much point in this except to rant once more about the crime.

For your consideration:

In fact, that simply further condemns him as far as I’m concerned.

As I said, fuck him. In a way, shouldn’t he be GLAD that Mark Felt exposed him? I mean, then he wouldn’t have had his amazing turn around in prison? :dubious:

I don’t believe that any of that group was ever sorry that they did anything. Oh, they were sorry that they were CAUGHT, but they weren’t sorry for what they did. What’s more, I don’t believe that Colson found any sort of god, other than the god of putting on a great show of how pious he was now. What did he have to lose? He wasn’t going to really be able to do anything else, and playing the repentant might get him some consideration.

He pled guilty to obstruction of justice in the Ellsberg case, apparantly when he did not need to do so. This is the charge that led to his imprisonment.

I don’t know whether Ellsberg ever got a further apology. In my mind a guilty plea followed by imprisonment and rehabilitation is probably enough.

… And QSH rides another few miles on a one-trick pony. I don’t think anybody’s consideration of that thread needs to extend past a few seconds.

Chuck Colson did a great deal of good after he got out of prison.

All you idiots who condemn him are despicable morons. You are scum of the earth. You are vile, disgusting slime-ridden, pus-infested pieces of garbage. You are lower than the people who deliberately infect people with AIDS.

I hope that you have nothing but trouble and bad luck for a very, very long time. Years of suffering would be too good for you.

No, he did a great deal of harm. He promoted fanaticism, corrupted prisoners, helped push America further towards theocracy and helped make the Republican base the loonies they are today.

Ah, feel the Christian love…

Sorry. Can’t go along with wishing others grave misfortune. That’s about as attractive as the grave dancing we see here.

According to the article linked in the OP, his plea was an effort was to deflect further charges. And he was guilty of assisting with the Watergate cover-up, something he never pled guilty to or served any time for.

He didn’t.

Enough for what? I was responding to an earlier claim that he was repentant. I don’t think there’s much evidence that he ever repentant of his original crimes.

Turning your life around for close to forty years comes close.

Look, he did some bad things which I will not excuse and he was not a perfect person after he was freed. That would describe so many people, including some that this board would reflexively defend for political reasons.

Screw all of that. Let him rest in the peace I hope he finds and that none of us deserves.