Things that make you feel old (Mary Gibbs/Monsters, Inc.)

Mary Gibbs turned 16 yesterday. Who is Mary Gibbs? Mary Gibbs was the voice of “Boo” in Monsters, Inc. She was a toddler at the time and they followed her around with a microphone to get all those adorable bits (“Kitty!”)

The movie is being re-released on December 19 in 3D. I thought I’d give folks a heads up so they wouldn’t be blindsided if she is part of promoting the re-release.

X-Files is three years older than that kid.

Nirvana’s Nevermind was released over 20 years ago. That’s OK though, I like the Pixies more.

Monsters Inc was way after my time. Does that make you feel younger. I found out this month that teens only know about Micheal Jackson being a singer at best, and have no idea what Thriller is. They’ve also never heard about the child molestation charges. What makes me feel old is seeing all the badly aging adults that are 10 to 20 years younger than me. What makes me feel good is I look better than those badly aging adults.

The baby on the cover would be old enough to drink now.

A recent picture of Manolo Gonzalez. He’s the original baby from the E-Trade commericals.

Things that make me feel old: I work with web designers who are younger than the web.

Winona Ryder was cast as Spocks’ mom.

We’re closer to the timeframe of Blade Runner than we are to the release of Blade Runner.

We’re halfway to The Jetsons. The show premiered in 1962 and was set a hundred years in the future in 2062.

We’re three years away from the future in Back to the Future II. That’s not a lot of time left to invent flying cars. :frowning:

I remember someone here being equally disturbed when I told them Hayden Panettiere from Heroes was the voice of Dot, the little girl ant in A Bug’s Life.

Guns & Roses are now considered “classic rock”.

Run DMC are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

The Simpsons has been on the air for 83% of my life. (Lisa Simpson’s wedding, for that matter, was over two years ago.)

“MTV never shows videos anymore” has been a complaint for longer than the period of time in which MTV actually showed videos.

The 5/5/2000 apocalypse that I was terrified by as a kid is twelve years past; and the 2012 apocalypse that I was also terrified by is less than three months away.

There are people old enough to drink who’d not been born when I was in 4th grade.

The kid from The Sixth Sense looks like this now.

That reminds me: This year both Gillian Anderson and Helena Bonham Carter played one of literature’s most famous old crones, Miss Havisham, in TV and film adaptations of Great Expectations.

The 30th Anniversary of E.T. Blu Ray is being released

The nuclear war in The Terminator series was 15 years ago.

The kid from the Sixth Sense looks oddly like Mac from It’s Always Sunny.

Also, a relevant XKCD from a year ago (Home Alone came out 20 years ago?).

Some people about to vote for president were born after Night Court was cancelled.

Cartoon network is twenty years old.

You remember “Gangnam Style”? The Korean pop video that took the world by storm? That’s over three months old. Three months, damn. I was 35 when that came out. Now look at me. I’m still 35.

Also, the whole Kony 2012 thing - that happened seven months ago. Almost eight months. Thank God they stopped that bloke, or whatever it is they did.

At the state fair my mom wanted a steak sandwich. I went to get it for her from a stand that also sold beer. They had a sign up that said "To buy beer you must have been born before this date in 1991. For some reason that just hit me really hard. I had to sit down and collect myself for a few minutes before hitting the Gravitron.

About a week later a friend, who’s a director at a non-profit, called me in some dismay. "I just hired someone who was born in 1992. No, not to sweep up after school. For a real job. 1992.

I crossed paths in another city with a man that looked so familiar that it was bugging me. He was there with his family, including a tiny tot. I finally figured out that I’d taught him in Sunday School when he was in fourth grade.

One of my guilty pleasures is People/Us magazine type fashion features. (Who wore it best, Stars Sport the New Neon!) in waiting room magazines or online. Time was I knew who all the celebrities were, had seen their movies, heard their songs. About a dozen years ago I noticed that there were a lot of folks whose work was not geared towards me. Still, at that time I at least knew who was a singer and who was on television, etc. Now, I have never heard of 2/3 of them and don’t know for sure who’s in a movie or on a reality show, or what. And I don’t care.