"Look at this picture 10 seconds then type 'club' - mind blown" - what happens?

A number of times on Facebook I’ve seen posted a black and white, very pixellated picture of a girl, with the instructions:

Not wanting to facilitate more useless Facebook spam I have not done so myself. But I’m curious nonetheless. What actually happens?

Do you have a link?

it’s here:

nothing happened for me. My guess is that don’t expect you to see the girl in the pic before typing, for some reason.

Here ya go

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chocolate/68149076917

I think it’s pretty clearly a troll in the vein of those chain letters that go like
Post this on 5 pages
Like this post
Say your crush’s name 20 times
Now press F5 and see what happens!

They’re just trying to see how many people they can fool into typing “club”. There’s no interface between facebook’s comments and the picture system, writing club and then enter in the comment box can’t cause anything to happen. I suppose they could be doing what Revtim mentioned, and thinking there’s an optical illusion obscuring the girl that you won’t see until you type club (there are some magic tricks that rely on tricking the user’s perception until/because a certain word is suggested to them), but I really think it’s just a post where somebody’s trying to get giggles by seeing how many people they can get to type club.

I get the same thing but with the word “fall” in it. I ignored it, assuming its some stupid promo to gather views for an ad.

Reminds me of trolling in World of Warcraft where one someone would say in general chat, “Whats the command to leave a guild?” and watch people spontaneously /gquit left and right.

I’ve tried it and only get an error message. Troll, I’m guessing.

Isn’t it Alt-F4

No, I think you have to go into the terminal and type “sudo rm -rf /” and enter your password.

(Do NOT try this, Linux and Mac users, I am not responsible for complete destruction of your computer if you’re curious what it does)

Just so we’re clear, this is hunky-dory on Solaris, though, right…? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know enough about Solaris to say :p. But I reckon anybody who is using an OS as obscure and technical as Solaris and doesn’t know what the terminal commands do deserves whatever happens to them.

It might be intended as a facebook worm. I believe that typing the ‘l’ in club while viewing a facebook picture resulted in “liking” the picture at one point. I know that facebook has been cracking down on these sorts of schemes, so it might have been disabled. Check your activity log to be sure.

New Guy: What’s the command to disable guild chat?
Me: /gquit
[New Guy has left the guild]
Me: To be fair, it did work.
me: /ginvite New Guy

Back-in-the-day when I played Warcraft II on my Mac Classic, the gag was always: “Hold down COMMAND and type QUICK to build units quicker!”

(Command-Q quit the program, which counted as a forfeit in the game.)

These are all about as bad and dorky as the early days of chat boards like CompuServe’s CB Simulator, where if you got the spacing right, you could type in “Blah blah to fill space to make sure the text wraps to a new line and then type NO CARRIER and see half the channel disappear.”

Everyone on the channel would see:

gotpasswords: Blah blah to fill space to make sure the text wraps to a new line and then type
NO CARRIER and see half the channel disappear.

The gag was that some comm programs would interpret “NO CARRIER” on a new line as the status of the modem and think the connection had actually been dropped.

As noted above, commenting or liking the picture does nothing. The purpose of those pages is to gather “likes” and comments. The page creator can then sell the page to another business, who changes the page content to whatever they want. The business is now able to start immediately with a page with a large number of likes and comments, which means it shows up in more users’ feeds.

thanks, troutman. good info.

I hate this kind of ‘black hat’ SEO even more than I do SEO companies.

I think the best thing is therefore to mark them as spam whenever you see them - apparently FB does investigate spam reports, so if that all works properly, it should diminish the value of the scheme. That’s a fair bit of ‘if’ though, I suspect.