Who plays piano on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood?

I find his music very relaxing, and would like to buy a CD if one is available.

Thanks

Quasi

This page has a lot of info about the music on MRN.

I think you’re probably thinking of John Costas, though.

The piano player on the show is named: Fred Rogers.

Yes, he plays all his own piano, composes all his own music.

Sorry, Mr. Rogers fans!

Crap. That’s the kind of mistake I make once baseball season starts. It’s John (or Johnny) Costa and here’s some more info.

I will concede to Jomo Mojo’s apparent authority.

I based my response on the following info (from the first link):

Sorry, Johanna. I think you may have some wonky info. Fred Rogers originally studied to be a minister and did hold a B.A. in Music Composition (he was also a licensed pilot). But the man who actually played piano on the show was well-known studio jazz musician, Johnny Costa. Costa introduced Fred to another musician friend, Joe Negri (jazz guitarist), who ended up being cast as frequent walk-on character, Handyman Negri in addition to scoring some of the excursion background music for the filmed off-site sequences.

Moved to Cafe Society, a forum that didn’t exist when this thread was started in 2001.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Wow. I just realized:
When this thread was first started, Mr. Rogers was still alive. :confused:

The neighborhood’s gone downhill in his absence.

Rogers was a pianist and did write the majority of the songs that he sang. (The operas and such were intentionally not written by him.)

But the music was played live*, so there would be no way that Rogers to play for himself.

*Some say the intro was prerecorded after Costa died. It sure does sound more like Costa than the rest of the score. But then that makes me wish they could have done that for Trolley.

I really liked Mr. Rogers because he liked me just the way I was.

Johnny Costa released an album of the shows jazz music. It features many of the shows regular songs.

No need to buy. Google linked each song to YouTube.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+costa&oq=john+costa&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.6181j0j7&client=ms-android-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#mie=e,,Johnny%20Costa%20Plays%20Mr.%20Rogers’%20Neighborhood,H4sIAAAAAAAAAOPgE-LUz9U3MEvOsDRS4gIxKy0rcwoKtMSzk630c0uLM5P1E4tKMotLrBJzkkpziwFPzL6dMgAAAA

Wow, did I ever get that wrong! It’s always been obvious that the show includes 2 completely different styles of piano playing. I must have been blinded to the obvious because in my impressionable young mind Fred had already ascended into a godlike figure capable of anything.