The bTruth About NASA's Moon Exploration!!!

Ooooo-kayyyyyyyy.
I’d be less concerned about this, but it appears in the freakin’ Washington Post. And it’s not April 1.

According to Wikipedia, The Volokh Conspiracy is a blog that’s been around since 2002. It’s been carried by the Washington Post since last year. Its members all seem to be law professors from Emory, and they mainly argue about legal weirdness.

Their earlier forays into the topic of the Moon seem to concern Property Rights there, and whether NASA ought to be spending government money to build a base there. This piece is either a straight-faced protest in the form of conspiracy theory whackiness, or else it really is unadulterated Conspiracy Theory Whackiness. I don’t know enough about them to distinguish. I’m just amazed that this is in the Post.

Anybody know anything about this?

It’s obviously satire. There were two life forms on the Moon and we did bring them back to Earth. Why it’s being published is beyond me since many people won’t get the joke.

That would be consistent with the twelve astronauts who have walked on the moon (2 X 1 + “five more times”). But again, why?

Maybe they couldn’t wait for April?

And the robot planet is Mars. The robots are the ones we sent there. I thought it was cute.

I have to admit, it’s a clever piece. It never says anything that’s not true, but what it “says” is as far from the truth as you can get.

I like the “planet of robots”!

but yea, publishing it in the Post is weird. People won’t get the joke.

It does sound nice, doesn’t it.

I think you’re biased.

Oh thank god. I was baffled and saddened by the article, thinking it was serious.
I need my satire detector recalibrated!

I’m still baffled by it. The “robot planet” thing was clear as soon as you clicked the link. But I still have to ask what the heck the point is.

“The Volokh Conspiracy - Mostly law professors, blogging about whatever we want since 2002”

That helps explain it. The guys phone number and email are on this page. You could just ask him. Your email address would probably get his attention.

It does? How? Are law professor noted for this?

Besides, I noted that they were law professors from Emory in the OP.

I’ve been reading Volokh for some time, and they like doing stuff like this. Their dedicated audience is pretty highbrow, since their content is pretty dry, but one consequence of being on the WP network is that some of their stories blow up and get a lot more visibility. This is one of them, and I thought it was pretty funny.

No reason a law professor can’t want to blog about nonsense like this. I assume these guys submit their articles and they end up on the web. I doubt anyone at the Post is reading the articles carefully. What editor wants to argue with a law professor? I think it’s just misplaced satire, although maybe he’s got some kind of point I’m totally missing (along with everyone else so far).

Fry: So let me get this straight. This planet is completely uninhabited?
Bender: No, it’s inhabited by robots.
Fry: Oh, kinda like how a warehouse is inhabited by boxes.

I think this is very funny - a great example of how true statements can end up being very misleading. The only thing the author missed is noting that one of the lifeforms released on Earth has attacked a human Bart Sibrel - Wikipedia

nm

One of the recovered lifeforms infiltrated one of the highest branches of the US government.

She’s in on the conspiracy! She didn’t even mention Comet of the Robots! (Well, just the one - that we know of.)

Only because the human insisted that the lifeform hadn’t really been brought here from the Moon. Plus the human was bigger than the lifeform and was standing very close shouting and waving an object at the lifeform, which no doubt caused the lifeform to feel threatened and lash out according to it’s instincts.

What’s a “bTruth”? Is that a Lunarian word?