Joel Hodgson wants to bring back Mystery Science Theater 3000

(link goes to article, not to actual Kickstarter page)Joel Hodgson has started a Kickstarter campaign to bring back MSt3K. The initial goal is $2 million to produce 3 episodes, with stretch goals of $1.1 million to produce another 3 episode set, up to a total of 12 episodes. I want this to happen!

I want to see one on Jupiter Ascending.

So who’s playing Tom and Crow?

According to the article I linked to, we don’t know yet, although he promises a new Mad.

Please, please, yes.

My first Kickstarter I’ve donated to. I don’t care if it is subpar. I just want this show to exist. :slight_smile:

He’s already raised $480K.

Here’s a similar article from Minneapolis, the home of MST3K: Star-Tribune Is MST3K…. Not much different than the link above, but I’m willing to part with a few shillings to get this moving.

I hope they can actually get the guys from Rifftrax to join in and make it like the original. Doesn’t mean Rifftrax has to stop.

Am a huge MSTie so I’ve been a bit like a headless chicken following this story today. A few things of note:

Shout! Factory, the company currently producing the MST DVD sets, now owns Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Also, Mike Nelson explains why he’s not taking part in the revival. Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett are also on the record saying they’re not interested.

Joel is currently doing a Reddit AMA with all kinds of info about the new series. Apparently he’s already cast the host as well as the new Servo and Crow, and will be introducing them soon.

$500K to $600K per episode seems a bit steep, no?

Joel posted a graphic showing the breakdown of how they’ll use the money. Only about a third of it goes to actually filming the three episodes.

As much as I loved MST3K, if it’s not on HBO, Netflix or YouTube, I’ll probably never see it. I’m not paying for another streaming service or getting cable TV to watch it.

The fantastic video rental place I’ve gone to for years is closing so rental may not be an option soon.

Since Shout! Factory now owns MST, I’m guessing you’ll be able to buy the new episodes on disk, if you’re so inclined.

This right here is why I don’t want this to happen. I am already in the minority a bit because I liked Mike more than Joel anyway, but without Kevin and Bill? and without Mikes script supervision? No thanks.

Time table?

In the not too distant future

This is a little disappointing as just last week I got an email from RiffTrax with a video from Mike Nelson himselfsaying how episodes of MST3K were now going to be available to stream from the RiffTrax site. When I saw this thread title I thought maybe they had merged in someway.

Dude, anyone other than Kevin as Servo would so not work. He’d be better off building new bots. (Would Trace be interested at least?)

I take it you’re not a fan of season one…:smiley:

I remember hearing a little about this some months back, but then nothing else, so I figured it didn’t pan out. I’m glad to see it’s still happening, although I think the ideal situation would be if they just hired the Incognito Cinema Warrior guys to make it. I think there stuff is actually better and more consistently funny than MST3K ever was. It’s just everyone involved in that has day jobs, so there’s like a year between each episode.

He TRIED to kill me with a forklift!