Gaelic translation, please (need answer fast-ish)

I’m doing a newsletter and noting the death of an Irish priest. This Gaelic sentence was included in his obituary on the website of the funeral home.

Ar deis Dê go raib a anam dílis.

Can someone translate this for me? I want to quote it, but I want to make sure I understand exactly what it says. (Also, my client is likely to ask me.)

Google translate says:
“On the possibility of a faithful soul rape”

**That **doesn’t sound quite right…

ETA: Okay, I found this: “May his/her soul be on God’s right hand - Ar dheas Dé go raibh a anam.” Also, what about the his/her?

Googling the whole phrase has this in the first hit

I found a thread on a message board:

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/translation/topic65565.html

Somebody inquired about almost the same quote, albeit referring to a deceased woman.

It means “May his faithful soul be at God’s right side”.

Thanks, all.

Can I just make a minor correction to the text in the OP: should be Dé, not Dê, and it should either be “go raibh” or, if you’re going to use “go raib,” you need a punctum delens over the b. That also goes for the first d in “ar deis”: ar dheis in modern orthography, ar ḋeis in cló gaelach. donkeyoatey’s spelling is correct for Roman type. (http://nualeargais.ie/gnag/ortho_files/leni.jpg; http://historicgraves.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/full_grave/graves-photos/53111/co-sbst-0009/CO-SBST-0009.jpg

Okay, I read the title as “garlic translation”. I think I spend too much time in Cafe Society.

For what it’s worth, though:

Portuguese: alho
Spanish: ajo
French: ail
Italian: aglio

:smiley:

Irish: cneamh, gáirleóg
Scottish Gaelic: creamh, gairleag
Wesh: craf, garlleg
Breton: kignen

(the C- words are more usually wild garlic, i.e. ramson)

Japanese: ニンニク (ninniku)

Can’t it be done word for word ? It is indo-european…
De cognate Deity …

deis, right hand , cognate “dextra” ?

“dilis” faithful, cognate diligent ?

hanam . heart ? Or man ?

There was a reason latin was popular as a common language.

Yup. From Latin, Deus.

Again, yup, though this time it’s not from Latin. Rather, both the Latin and the Irish are from a common Indo-European root.

Curiously, the Irish and Latin works for “left hand” are unrelated.

Diligent is cognate, but distantly. Dílis doesn’t suggest faithful in the sense of dutiful, assiduous, which is what diligent suggests to me. Rather it suggests faithful in the sense of loving, rejoicing in, taking constant delight in.

Neither. Cognate with Latin animus, soul or spirit.

and anam probably come straight from Latin, and arrive with Christianity. Dílis and deis are older.

Speaking of Latin, my client decided to go with Latin:

*Requiescat in pace. *

That is a very Irish word. :slight_smile:

No: cognate. They had gods before the Christians found them, you know. In Old Irish nominative, dative, and accusative are all día, genitive and vocative .

What surprises me is that the Irish words for “man” and “woman” are very obviously related to the Latin ones. They’re not particularly similar to the Germanic roots, which argues against it being a general Indo-European thing… but on the other hand, “man” and “woman” are quite fundamental concepts, not the sort of thing you’d expect to be loanwords.

fear (OI fer, gen. fir) is cognate with vir, yes; what are the “woman” words you are calling obvious? Bean (OI ben) is cognate with Greek γυνή (as in gyno- / gyne-) but I’m not aware of a Latin cognate.

Irish fear is cognate with Germanic wer as in werewolf and wereld (world). Irish bean is cognate with Germanic queen.

Right. “Man” is the odd one, where English lost the word for “male person” and replaced it with the word for “person”. Old English wer meant a male, so you have werwolf, man-wolf, or wergild, man-price. So we have wo-man meaning a female person, but we lost wer-man, meaning a male person, instead we have man, originally meaning a person but now only meaning a male person.

I’m certain I remember some Irish word that looked a lot like “mulier” (one of the Latin words for “woman”), but without actually knowing Irish, it’s tough to track down what it was. The context was a pair of signs on restroom doors.

Usually fir (men) and mná (women), but you may have seen some other combination.