Old 04-07-1999, 06:05 PM

Of course my guess is as good as yours..but I took the phrase "a buck three-eighty" to mean $1.83. Perhaps?

------------------
~*brandie*~
"Free thinkers are dangerous."~Serj
Old 04-07-1999, 07:46 PM

I've always heard the phrase "a buck-two-fifty" and I just assumed it meant a small amount of money.

How much did that cost?

Ah, a buck-two-fifty.

I could be totally wrong, though.

Jeff
Old 04-07-1999, 09:11 PM

I don't know that it means any specific amount. It's just a phrase that means an indeterminate amount of money. A lot of New Yorkers use it, I think, when they don't know an amount and don't wanna be bothered. Seeing it in writing is not the same as having someone with a thick Bronx accent brush you off with "a buck three-eighty, pal."

------------------
The Dave-Guy
"since my daughter's only half-Jewish, can she go in up to her knees?" J.H. Marx
Old 04-07-1999, 09:24 PM

Oh wow! I didn't know anyone else used that expression! My Dad (born and raised in NE Mass.) has been saying "A dollar three-eighty" for as long as I can remember and he claims he made it up. Or a friend of his made it up. Or maybe it was a friend of a friend.... Hmmmmmm........

------------------
"For what a man had rather were true, he more readily believes" - Francis Bacon
Old 04-08-1999, 12:19 AM

This must be an East Coast thing, because I've never heard it out here on the Pacific. I was first exposed to the phrase "a buck three-eighty" in Billy Joel's song "Close to the Borderline" from the "Glass Houses" album, and I wondered what it meant.

The exact lines are:

A buck three-eighty won't buy you much lately
On the street these days
And when you can get gas you know you can't drive fast
Any more on the parkways

Since then, I've seen or heard strange monetary expressions like that in the context of mid-to-north-Atlantic Coast urbanites, and I've never understood what it's supposed to mean.

Is it a transposition of the first two words, i.e. "buck three" means "three bucks," so the whole phrase means $3.80? Or is the "eighty" an expression, and it really means $1.38? Or does it mean something else entirely? Where did it come from? Is it still commonly used? Is there a Noo Yawker or anyone else who can enlighten me?

------------------
"I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV."
Old 04-08-1999, 12:54 AM

Well, I imagine it's not strictly an East Coast thing, as my father says "a buck three eighty-five" and he grew up in Wisconsin. And at least one of my uncles (one of his brothers) uses it also.

Perhaps it means a buck plus $3.85 (or whatever variation is used)? Or perhaps $1.385, using fractions of a cent--and thus a buck three eighty would be $1.380 and a buck two fifty would be $1.250.

------------------
nuqDaq yuch Dapol? (Where do you keep the chocolate?)
Old 04-08-1999, 11:24 AM

My friends and I have used variations on this before ... "A buck, two fifty" ... to describe a niddling amount of money.

As far as I'm aware, it's two separate amounts (One dollar and two-and-a-half dollars) that indicate not only a miniscule and irrelevant amount of money, but the fact that the expense didn't matter much to you.

So, like "It cost a buck, or two-fifty, or something. Whatever."

I didn't even make the connection between "buck three eighty" and "buck two fifty" until MilroyJ mentioned it. This thread had me baffled 'til then

------------------
-An epistle most prosaic, courtesy of Calamity Jon.
Jon can be seen swinging from trees at ape-law.com
Old 04-08-1999, 03:17 PM

I once saw the term in a book of brain-teasers. It was a semantics trick, where "a buck two-fifty" actually meant "a buck, AND two-fifty." That is, $3.50.

This was similar to the number "eleven thousand, eleven hundred, and eleven." Which is written 11,211.
Old 04-09-1999, 08:56 PM

Uh, Eleven thousand, eleven hundred, and eleven would be 12,111, not 11,211. Am I missing something?
Old 04-11-1999, 09:48 PM

I just had to get in on this one...

In the Red River Valley (where Fargo is found), the phrase is known as "a buck two-ninety-eight." Obviously, we can conclude that Fargo prices are much lower than in Billy Joel's neighborhood.

------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Old 11-05-1999, 08:20 PM

Old Chicago area expression "a buck two ninety eight"
Old 11-05-1999, 09:15 PM

Chicago. High school. Mid-'70s. "A buck-three-eighty" was commonplace. As others have noted, it's basically a brush-off, meaning "I dunno, a small amount, what's it to ya?" As teenagers, we considered it the height of wit. As adults, we consider it the height of teenage wit.
Old 11-05-1999, 11:42 PM

I've never heard "a buck three-eighty." Around here, we use "a nickel ninety-five" to mean the same thing, a small amount of money.

-Melin
Old 11-05-1999, 11:43 PM

My math was right; I just made a typo. So sue me. =B^p
Old 11-08-1999, 12:46 AM

I've always used it as in "I have no clue how much but you can afford it." And I've heard (in Wisconsin) a buck two-thirty and a buck two-fifty.
Old 11-08-1999, 08:11 AM

Like MarkMal, I've only heard the expression from my dad and it was always a dollar three eighty. He used it when I was a kid and he didn't want to say how much something cost.
Old 11-08-1999, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Just to give in my 2 (or 4 half-cents--hmm, forshadowing), up until the mid 1800's there was a coint the half-cent.

So, if this is an old expression, it could have its roots in a time when three-decimal prices were commonplace.
Old 11-08-1999, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

And this is what it looks like when it has been proofread:

Just to give in my 2 (or 4 half-cents--hmm, foreshadowing), up until the mid 1800's there was a coin the half-cent.
So, if this is an old expression, it could have its roots in a time when three-decimal prices were commonplace.

Sorry.
Old 11-10-1999, 02:26 AM

Argh.

It's just sophomoric wit.

Like calling someone and asking for their phone number.

It's just a verbal equivalent of an Escher drawing. It begins one way, but ends in a contradictory way, but overall, looks like it's supposed to go together.

The purpose is to confuse people, and I can see by this thread, it has worked.

If Billy Joel is using it in some other fashion like it has a special meaning, he's a twit (besides, he's run out of originality long, long, long ago -- uptown girl, indeed!).

Peace.
Old 11-10-1999, 09:10 AM

Thats what a grown deer(buck) weighs.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:27 AM

It's STILL moving! Quick, shoot it in the head, for Og's sake!

Oh nooooo, it's still ALIVE! Quick! Somebody shoot it in the head, for Og's sake!

My Dad always said, "two six bits". (He was born and raised in North Central Louisiana.)
Technically, that would amount to $1.50.

Remember the jingle/rhyme, "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar..."?
Old 09-14-2011, 02:43 AM

Maybe if we give it the tree-fiddy it'll go away.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:45 AM

Was this resurrected by a spammer or something?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

This is probably not only the oldest zombie thread ever revived, it comes close to being the oldest one that ever could be revived, since it was started only about a month after the SDMB began.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Well, it was at about that time that I realized that this thread was actually the GOD-DAMNED Loch Ness Monster.

Last edited by Darth Panda; 09-14-2011 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I thought "a buck three-eighty" was a logically contradictory phrase meaning "nonsense". I thought it was a Milwaukee-ism, along with "on the corner of 25th and Jabirdie".

Actually, it was more "a buck tree-eighty". Down by where the street car bends the corner 'round, aina?

Regards,
Shodan from 'Sconsin
Old 09-14-2011, 10:44 AM
BANNED

I can't believe I didn't realize I was reading such an ancient thread until it was too late. But I have never heard any of these phrases so it has been very educational.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:48 AM

Wasn't the absence of a user name a clue?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:27 PM

I've also heard "a nickel ninety-five", "a quarter point two" and "eleventy three".
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBroad View Post
Old Chicago area expression "a buck two ninety eight"
"Coupla two tree bucks" is another common expression around here for the same thing.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derleth View Post
Damn it! You know if you give it the tree-fiddy it's never gonna go away. It'll just keep coming back.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Was this resurrected by a spammer or something?
Spammer?! A most emphatic, NOT! I am offended by the accusation, sir.
I request a retraction of the allegation, or I shall be forced to challenge you to
pistols at ten paces, in the courtyard square come the dawn.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 PM

I have never heard any of these phrases. But I once had a boss who said "It's a half o' six o' one, two dozen of another." Yes, he was an idiot; he actually thought that's how the phrase went.

(At least he wasn't a zombie.)
Old 09-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Revenant
Charter Member

Moderator Note

We've received quite a few thread reports on this old zombie, so I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone of the zombie policy. Post #4 in the FAQ - Guidelines and Etiquette on the SDMB says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ - On resurrecting old threads
- In Comments on Cecil's Columns, Comments on Staff Reports, Games Room, General Questions, and Straight Dope Chicago: We're less concerned about resurrected threads. The reasons we dislike zombie threads don't usually apply. We'll generally leave such threads open, unless there is some compelling reason for taking moderator action
(emphasis mine)

When a spammer reopens a zombie, we'll typically delete the spammer's post (or hide it), which drops the zombie back down in the list where it was. When a member revives one just to post "me, too" or to argue with someone who hasn't been online in six years, we will ask them not to do that, and sometimes lock the thread.

But every now and then, we have a conversation like this one, which was picked up 12 years later as if it had never stopped; where the new posts have no less to offer than the old ones. There's no "compelling reason" to close it, so we let it live.

Thanks for the thread reports, though. It's always better to get a report we don't need than to miss a problem!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 PM

With all due respect, (and apologies, if the powers that be, think I should) I don't feel that I brought that zombie back to life with a "new posts that had less to offer than the old ones".
(bolding is my paraphrasing, of part of the mod's post)

My post was on topic and was not a "me too", nor a repetition or slight variation of a previous post. (I read the entire thread before I posted, although I did neglect to note that it was, well... ancient. )
Kindly pardon the noob faux pas.

Since it seems to have wound someone's panties into a knot, I'll endeavour to refrain from resurrecting the dead, in the future.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDivmstr View Post
I don't feel that I brought that zombie back to life with a "new posts that had less to offer than the old ones".
Pardon me for interrupting, but what he actually said was "the new posts have no less to offer than the old ones." That's a good thing.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM

In West Coast gang culture putting "a buck fifty" across someone's face means cutting them right down across the face with a razor, often from the ear to the corner of the mouth, leaving a scar. The guy who plays Omar Little in the Wire, Michael K. Williams, has a buck fifty scar across his face as shown in this photo.

I don't know if that usage is even remotely relevant but I thought I'd mention it...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Revenant
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDivmstr View Post
With all due respect, (and apologies, if the powers that be, think I should) I don't feel that I brought that zombie back to life with a "new posts that had less to offer than the old ones".
(bolding is my paraphrasing, of part of the mod's post)

My post was on topic and was not a "me too", nor a repetition or slight variation of a previous post. (I read the entire thread before I posted, although I did neglect to note that it was, well... ancient. )
Kindly pardon the noob faux pas.

Since it seems to have wound someone's panties into a knot, I'll endeavour to refrain from resurrecting the dead, in the future.
As Cartoonacy already mentioned, you completely misread my post -- taking from it exactly the opposite of what I said.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonacy View Post
Pardon me for interrupting, but what he actually said was "the new posts have no less to offer than the old ones." That's a good thing.
You are absolutely correct, sir.

I humbly offer a sincere apology to the Mod and the board in general, for that transgression.

I still stand behind this part of my post, though.
Quote:
My post was on topic and was not a "me too", nor a repetition or slight variation of a previous post.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM

A "buck" is a variable quantity. I've seen it used to mean anything from one dollar to, in an actual verbal quote in a professional setting, a million dollars. I would default to "a buck three-eighty" equaling $1380, but I'd ask for clarification.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:51 PM
BANNED

buck three eighty

A pittance, or the amount that one lacks in order to purchase a local busfare.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...three%20eighty
Old 09-17-2011, 01:26 AM

Of program my guess is as beneficial as yours

Well, I imagine it's not strictly an East Coast thing, as my father says "a buck 3 eighty-five" and he grew up in Wisconsin. And on the very least one of my uncles (one of his brothers) utilizes it also. contemplating that then, I've observed or observed odd monetary expressions like that in your context of mid-to-north-Atlantic Coast urbanites, and I've in no way understood what it's designed to mean.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
theme shoes Cease to struggle and you cease to live. -- Thomas Carlyle
Old 09-17-2011, 08:18 AM

I see the words and they don't understand me.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:23 AM

I think the comment was intended for this thread.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
I think the comment was intended for this thread.
Ah, so!
Old 09-17-2011, 09:16 AM

Professor Irwin Corey loves you

Yes, I don't what you said well.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Reported for merging.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Revenant
Charter Member

Moderating: Threads merged

Accidental new thread merged with existing reanimated zombie thread.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:20 AM

I honestly think the expression is stupid. It doesn't communicate anything that any other random assortment of currencies couldn't, as indicated by the number of variations. It sounds like something my old drunk ex-uncle would say. You'd tell him that he was so funny because you knew that's what he wanted, but secretly be wondering if the constant boozing had broken his brain.

Is this seriously still in use?
Old 09-18-2011, 11:10 AM
SDSAB

Neither my wife (born and raised in Vermont) nor I (born and raised in Ohio) had heard this phrase before. I would've assumed "a buck three-eighty" was slang for "a miscellaneous small wad of cash and coins" (i.e. "a coupla bucks") or $4.80 (one dollar plus three dollars plus eighty cents in change).

Ignorance fought.