1 Cup Coffee Makers

I drink 2 cups a day. My cup is 24 ounces though. A 6 oz cup is a waste.

You guys do realize that you can use a regular coffee maker to make just one cup’s worth of coffee, right?

I’ve experimented with the amount of coffee and the amount of water - but I can never get it to come out just right. I have a can of coffee in the fridge that is over a year old because I never make coffee. My coffee maker is old and ugly. I’m moving to a new place and would like to get something newer, nicer and better. Why not just get one that is designed to make one cup at a time if that is what I drink?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. No one has any experience with the Tassimo though?

This.

We have a Bodum Chambord 8-cup french press, and love it. We do not miss the burned taste of coffeemaker coffee at all, and we only use 5 tablespoons of coffee per 8 cups. If you were to get a smaller french press I would imagine it would only take 2-3 tablespoons for a good-sized mug of coffee.

If you want tea through your k-cup system, it might be a problem. Maybe with regular cleaning it wouldn’t be so bad, but all the tea I ever got out of that thing tasted like coffee.

I will wholeheartedly third a French Press except I use 5 tablespoons of coarse ground coffee per 10-12 ounce cup of coffee!

I use the exact same amount of coffee for the cone as I do for anything - the rule of thumb is one scoop per 6 oz water. I like my coffee strong, so i use a heaping scoopful per 6 oz cup. Unless you’re one of those people who put 3 scoops per pot or something, a cone shouldn’t use significantly more coffee than any other method.

A scoop is a tablespoon, I just measured. And 6 oz is a tiny cup - even a small coffee cup holds 8 or 9 oz - so adjust accordingly.

French press coffee is delicious. However, those who need to watch your cholesterol, beware: A chemical in unfiltered coffee (like French press coffee but unlike drip brewed coffee), cafestol, will raise your cholesterol.

As for drip brewers, I still use the little 4-cup Mr. Coffee I originally bought for my dorm room. Perfect size for morning coffee, and you don’t have to buy any expensive oddball formats of things, just regular coffee and 4-cup sized filters.

Melitta

It is cheap, less than 5 bucks, and the filters are very cheap. It uses any ground coffee. It is practically unbreakable, and never wears out and never breaks.

Melitta is VERY!!! fast and great for traveling, all you need is hot water. It is the easiest coffee maker to clean, although all you gotta do is rinse it if you want to rinse it.

I can boil water in 3 minutes, and it then drips for less than 30 seconds. In just 3 1/2 minutes you get great fresh cup of coffee.

I would buy more of them, but I only need 1.

Oh Yeah, and Melitta is very lightweight, and is very small, small/smaller than a coffee cup, so it is great for backpacking and easy to pack.

When you buy the insert can you make more than one cup of coffee? I always wondered about that. My dad has one of those and I never knew the answer to that. Or does it still stop you from doing that if you were to have guest over and wanted to make coffee for everyone??. But he does have the insert and loves it and finds it much less inexpensive.

No, you have to dump and refill it for each cup. These machines aren’t really designed to make a lot of coffee at once. I have a Keurig B60. It’s great when I want a cup in the morning, but I kept my old drip coffeemaker after purchasing the B60 in case I need to make a pot’s worth of coffee.

Oops. Sorry. I should have answered that yesterday.
My mom has one. I like it. I enjoy the novelty of having a barcode scanner so that the machine does different things depending on what you are making. Whether or not this makes a difference is unknown to me, but I like the concept.

The coffee is acceptable. Starbucks makes pods for Tassimo. My mom likes those.

Melitta drip cone.$3. Why pay more?

Thanks! I have a regular coffee maker because we are heavy coffee drinkers. But that was a fact I always wanted to know. He loves his. He will have a cup of coffee and then hours later make another cup. While we are have several cups withing the first hour of the morning.

This is correct. Using the insert does not change the engineered design of the machine.

I’m the only coffee drinker in my household, and I use a Bodum French press for ordinary coffee, and a Bialetti for espresso-type coffee. Granted, the Bialetti can’t make “real” espresso with the thick crema, but the mocha it makes is pretty good. ETA: The coffee from the Bialetti also a good basis for café au lait

Both of these are easy to stack away in a cupboard and they won’t take up any bench real estate, like a coffee machine will :stuck_out_tongue:

Another vote for the simple little cone. If you feel a desire to spend $15 or $20 a pound for coffee, you can buy higher quality beans instead of paying for a little bitty pod filled with cheap coffee.

And if you need to make coffee for two, buy two cones. :wink:

I believe our press stated that 8 tablespoons of coffee grounds would make a full 8-cup carafe. So it sounds like you are making it at like 5-times strength (based on the directions), or 7 times as strong as we make it!

Have you tried using smaller amounts? We started at 8 and I used less and less each time until we found an amount that produced coffee strong enough for our tastes. I wonder if you’re actually using all 5 tablespoons efficiently.

Moved thread IMHO->CS.