#1 photograph?

The Mona Lisa is arguably the most famous painting in the world.

Citizen Kane is also considered the best motion picture ever filmed.

What is considered the best or most famous photograph in history?

The flag raising at Iwo Jima might be the most famous.

The Victory Kiss in Times Square might be pretty far up there.

There is a photo of young, naked, possibly Vietnamese running along a dirt road crying after being burned with Napalm.

The picture in question

I was just going to post that one, Six.

It’s here [warning: disturbing].

Also, Tiananmen Square: Man vs. Tank.

One Small Step for Man, etc.

Perhaps not one of the most famous, but one of the best in my opinion: Sudanese child watched by vulture [warning: disturbing].

Depends what you mean by “number one.” The Mona Lisa is one of the most famous paintings, for various reasons, but it’s certainly not the best. This photo of Marilyn Monroe is one of the most-reproduced, though hardly a Great Work of Art.

I concur with Iwo Jima. That’s the first that came to my mind.

I immediately thought of that National Geographic cover photo of the Afghani woman with the green eyes.

This came immediately to mind.

The after-dinner photo of Jesus and the Apostles?

I’m sure this shows my American bias, but I always thought of the Kent State massacre photo (you know the one) link

Iwo Jima was what I immediately thought of when I saw the thread.

The first photograph is pretty famous, too.

“Look, we can’t all do big arms. We’ll look like a squadron of Spitfires.”

There’s a photo of a young firefighter going up the stairs of the WTC while everyone else is going down.

I believe he got out alive, but who the hell would think to snap a picture during that time?

And similar to Iwo Jima is the three firefighters raising the flag at the wreckage of the Twin Towers.

Sorry, no link handy at this time.

What’s the story behind that? I’ve never seen it and can’t really tell what it’s a photo of.

NightwatchTrailer
I don’t know exactly what that picture is. Did you get the correct link ?

And you are correct that there is a photo of the first flag raising at Iwo Jima but (I think) it is nowhere near as dramatic as the more famous photo, which I believe is the most reproduced photograph of all time.

I’m sure this shows my American bias, but I always thought of the Kent State massacre photo (you know the one) link

Originally Posted by CapnPitt

That’s the one I thought of, too.

It’s a street in Paris, IIRC - it’s literally the first photo - or daguerrotype.
…or so they say.

I think this photo is perhaps the most reproduced - I at least see it everywhere

I think every country has its own version of the Iwo Jima photo. Here in Israel it’s this one.