10 Commandments

(I might still get deleted) Butt…All of you people that think you are so modern, intelligent, informed…don’t you think if the 10 commandments had been obeyed thru out humanity’s existence, there would be hardly any of the troubles we see today?

Who you calling a butt? :slight_smile:

If people always followed just about any set of laws throughout history, we’d have very few problems.

Sure. We’d have a completely different set of troubles.

Thou shalt not kill? Thou shalt not steal? Thou shalt not bear false witness? Sure.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image? Remember the Sabbath Day? Not so much.

Not calling you a butt, honey, just an old habit. lol

Hang on, now. What gives you the impression that I, someone you have never met until just this moment, routinely go around killing people, stealing things, coveting my neighbor’s wife, and so on? That’s not very Christian of you. Er, check that; actually in my experience it IS rather Christian of you.

In conclusion, take your sanctimony and dangle.

I’m just saying…every set of rules is make for the community good. Anyone that wants to be a part of the community will obey them. You can see from our past that differentiations did not work better. Sure, we would have had another set of problems, being human, that is to be expected! I’m not a religious nut, I just think if we had obeyed God’s basic rules we could have saved ourselves alot of trouble.

This is not about YOU, honey. It is about humanity since the beginning.

You are of the belief that these commandments resolved all the troubles of the sect that practiced them at the time?

No, they are just guidelines to live by. There will still be troubles, and maybe even times for legal intervention. I was merely asking a general consensus of whether general laws are for the common good forever, or just in a closed environment.

How would not making graven images improved world history, exactly?

Well, if we knew God’s basic rules. Jesus gives a couple of commandments that aren’t in the Big 10, and doesn’t even mention “thou shalt not kill.”

That’s over and above the fact that you have no evidence that these are God’s rules,* rather than the rules ascribed to God by one ancient people among many.

*Or that there is a God / are some gods, for that matter, but I assume the atheist crowd will be along to drive those points home.

Exactly. If we could all make the 42 confessions to the Assessors of Maat at the end of our lives, the world would be a better place than it is now. But just like the 10 commandments there are a lot of extraneous crap in there as well. There is nothing particularly noteworthy or praiseworthy about the 10 commandments. They (and the rest of the Mosaic law) are representative of the types of legal codes commonly in use in the Near East at the time.

[Moderating]
This seems like a better fit for GD than the Pit.
[/Moderating]

I am not debating whether they are God’s laws or not. They are good rules to live by, no matter where they came from. PS Killing is illegal, whether your are a believer or not!

Now, to the OP, can you clarify? Are you asking if the world would be a better place if all nations instituted Mosaic law, or are you asking if the world would be a better place if each individual human, of their own will, chose to follow the ten commandments?

Moderator, I am fine with whatever you think.

El Kabong, you do not even know me, or my agenda. You do not need to take an antagonistic stance the first time you hear me post. I am a humanist, tho I have religious beliefs. I want the best for everyone, I have no antagonism towards athiests or agnostics. I meresly ask questions that may make you think rather than take a knee jerk religious/atheistic response.

Please explain why, exactly, we shouldn’t make graven images.