$ 10 Million and a Wal-Mart Superstore

The Man-Cub and I are walking through our local Super Duper Hyper Mega Giga- Wal Mart last night. He turns to me and says, Hey Daddy, do you think you could buy everything in this store for $ 10 million?

I thought about it long and hard. I think I could, but that’s tough. I think 10 mil would be more than enough. This store includes the supermarket segment, hence the name Super Wal Mart.

Could I? How much WOULD it cost to buy everything in that store? I’m guessing around $ 3 million dollars.

Cartooniverse

Are we talking retail or wholesale? The entire inventory of the store or just the items out on the shelves? If we’re talking retail and full inventory, I think it’d be quite a bit more than that.

Consider just the electronics section of your average Super WalMart these days. If there are 20 each of 10 different televisions in stock at $249 or more each, 12 of that ubiquitous HP computer systems in stock at $999 each, 40 (an average pallet load) of 5 different kinds of VCRs and DVD players at $99-$259 each, 40 Nintendo GameCubes, Playstations and X-Boxes at $159-300 each, 20 of 20 different stereo systems ranging from $79 to $299 each, 10 of 6 different video cameras ranging from $299 to $699 each, 10 of 30 different digital and SLR cameras at $79 to $499 each. 20 each of 40 different clock radios and portable CD players, ($19-$69 each) 20 each of 20 different cordless phones, ($29-$179 each) 20 of 10 different corded phones $10-$50 each), 20 each of 10 different answering machines ($29-$69 each), and the entire inventory of CDs, videocassettes, game discs and DVDs to go along, plus film, tapes, floppies, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs, SmartDisks, CompactFlash and Memory Stick media. I’d make the WAG that the inventory of the electronics department alone would hit $1 million, retail, in a large store.

Then think of the costly items in Housewares: $400 leather recliners, $300 air conditioners, $200 vacuum cleaners, $200 futons, $100 cookware sets, $99 bedding sets, $79 ceiling fans, plus other furniture, microwaves and various and sundry small home appliances all present in abundance. I’d think that housewares would approach at least $500,000 if not much more.

Then every Super Wal-Mart has a jewelry department, and believe it or not, there is some pricey stuff there. I saw a $6,999 diamond ring the last time I was in a Wal-Mart. Then there are the many watches and other items. Another $250,000? Possibly.

And the huge number of tires and batteries in the Automotive department, and the hunting rifles, bicycles, treadmills and other exercise gear and camping equipment in Sporting Goods. Easily another $500,000.

There is a huge inventory in the crafts/decor/sewing department. You’d be surprised at how much some of that stuff costs. Add in the toy departments, pet care, health and beauty and pharmacy, clothes, shoes, books, stationery and greeting cards. And a Super Wal-Mart usually has a garden section.

We’ve topped $3 million, I’d think, without even buying a single thing to eat.

Yeah, and god knows how pricey their knockwursts are. :smiley:

I’m inclined to agree, it’s more than $ 3 million. Yes, everything under the rafters. Stock on shelves, stuff in the back. Everything in the place.

I don’t think Wal-Mart publishes specific data on individual store inventory levels for obvious competitive reasons, but let’s not let that stop us from making a good SWAG. :smiley:

Using some commercial real estate data available on the web -

Wal-mart Superstores range in size from approximatley 100,000 to 210,000 sq ft. The average sales per supercenter are $72.5 million and the average superstore store size is 181,692 sq. ft.

As of 1999 inventory turned around 6.7 times annually in all Wal-Marts as a corporate average, so depending on the size of your store the average inventory for a Wal-Mart Superstore at a given point in time would be in the neighborhood of 72.5/6.7 or $ 10.82 million dollars.

And don’t neglect the pharmacy dept. Stands to reason that there’s some spendy inventory there.

Wow, Astro. The kid was darned close, huh??? Thank you for that info.

I think the bigger question here is why one would want to buy out a Wal Mart, super or otherwise. That’s quite the little consumer you’re raising there, Cartooniverse! :smiley: