$12 Billion in Aid Going to Farmers

Sucking at the government teat. Pretty soon the Republican party will be asking for welfare program cuts to pay for the trade war. Wait, already have some calls to cut welfare owing to the job creating tax cut we had. Just need v2 and include trade war costs.

“House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) said Wednesday that congressional Republicans will aim next year to reduce spending on both federal health care and anti-poverty programs, citing the need to reduce America’s deficit.”

I’m not in favor of the farmers getting the money and no hijack intended but I see things like student loan relief as exactly the same thing.

More payouts to red state welfare queens…

Farmers complaining their welfare package isn’t large enough:

My favorite quote from that article:

“Not many people would like it if they took $50,000 away from their business when it is something that they didn’t have anything to do with”

Who do you think those farmers voted for? :smack:

Credit where credit is due - at least some Republicans lawmakers are grousing about this on principle. Whether that ends up making any difference we’ll have to see( I kinda doubt it ).

Republicans in congress are currently playing the pragmatic card given Trump’s popularity with the base. But I fully expect many of them to very quietly and very privately cheer whenever he finally ends up out of office.

Why should students get debt relief? If one takes out a loan, one pays it back. Being a student has nothing to do with it.

I think every report like this should have the reporter ask the person “Who did you vote for?” and “Do you blame Trump for this?”

You mean your deficit, Mr. Speaker?

Despite Trump causing these problems farmers (at least some) are still behind Trump.

Fair enough.

Why should student loans be the only loans that are nearly impossible to discharge through bankruptcy?

It’s yet another example of how Trump is a big-government guy. His ACA attacks have actually resulted in more premium subsidies than under the previous administration. Say what you want about his immigration policies, but they resulted in more children being separated from their parents & put in internment facilities. Now his trade war is resulting in, I guess, these transfer payments going to farmers.

And let’s not forget what his tax cuts are doing to the federal budget.

Huge deficits. More spending. Bigger government. Donald “Tariffs are Great” Trump.

‘I never thought leopards would eat MY face,’ sobs deplorable farmer who voted for the Leopards Eating People’s Faces Party.

I agree. Farmers should be the same way with planting loans, without annual assistance from the government.

Verily, He does taketh away with one tiny hand (lost revenue via trade war), and with the other tiny hand he doth also take away from diminishing funds.

iswydt… :d

Besides a student loan, what other type of loan doesn’t require collateral?

If one has a morgage/home equity loan or an auto loan and goes through bankruptcy, the house or vehicle goes to the entity who made the loan. If one has a student loan and goes through bankruptcy, what does the loaning entity get?

If student loans are dischargable through bankruptcy, it’s likely there would be fewer made as they would be riskier for the entities making them.

I’ll admit it’s possible this is possibly an ironic whoosh but:

That’s partially right, they are easy to start.
They might take a generation to unwind, nobody wins [apart from BigAg who are trousering the subsidy, but appreciate the help] and consequently they aren’t good.

I think that prospective recipients will have to fill out a questionnaire to make sure the $12 billion is targeted where it’s needed most.

Trump University graduates were not given their diplomas until they signed a form admitting that their Trump U. education was the best education ever. Similarly the beneficiaries of Trump’s Ag-MAGA will need correct answers to questions. I assume the most stable genius ever will have questions a little more subtle than “Who did you vote for?”

Trump said that trade wars were easy to win.

There are a number of for-profit universities that have essentially defrauded students into taking out loans and using Federal student aid to pay for worthless educations. A number of these scam colleges went bankrupt, leaving students in a lurch: lots of debt, no ability to finish their degrees without transferring to another university and extending their studies, sometimes by years (and tens of thousands of dollars more). These for-profit colleges, by the way, are typically 80-90% dependent on taxpayer funded Federal aid, and your favorite Secretary of Education is a huge supporter of them.

Forgiveness of debt accumulated for worthless colleges that have filed all chapters of double-dog bankruptcy is a very, very reasonable thing to do.