$12 Billion in Aid Going to Farmers

No one would ever have to pay for college. Just file Chapter 7 the day you graduate, the books are cleared, and it’s all off your credit history before you get really established in a career anyway.

So much for the free market.

-Mencken

So the other welfare bums are not overwhelmingly “white”?

Exactly. Student loans shouldn’t have to be paid back at all, just like welfare for farmers.

Good candidate for the motto of a declining society.

That’s the idea. Banks would never loan $50,000 to 18 year olds with zero assets or credit anyway, unless the government guaranteed the loan. Well the kids grew up, they can’t repay the loan, and now the government should make good on its guarantees. It’s not the kids’ fault they believed all the adults who told them college loans were a surefire investment.

And maybe in the future we’ll stop guaranteeing loans to teenagers with zero credit or assets. Because it’s an ignorant thing to do. And banks will stop making those loans, and that will remove a lot of upward pressure on tuition prices. Surprisingly, people are a lot more price sensitive when they actually have to foot the bill.

If you could declare bankruptcy on student loans, they wouldn’t exist in any recognizable form. Bankruptcy is profoundly anti-capitalist.

That’s not a a bug, that’s a feature.

$12 billion is not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things. At least not compared to the trillion dollars of outstanding student loans.

Bravo :smiley:

And if you could declare bankruptcy on business loans, that’d be profoundly anti-capitalist, too. But we’ve got a President who got to where he is by doing exactly that, multiple times.

I’m sorry I mentioned the other things that this $12 billion could be used for, so the various hijacks are mostly my fault.

Can we get back to discussing the merits of this? Does anyone want to defend this wealth transfer from taxpayers to farmers due to a ridiculous trade war with these foreseeable consequences? Where are the usual Trump fans?

I had a whole bunch of quotes from this thread abut student loan debt, but they mucked up this post so I deleted them; pretend they’re all here tho, eh.

This is may be enough a hijack that it deserves it’s own thread.

Perhaps y’all haven’t heard that there is a movement afoot to reform student loans, and some of the complaints in this thread are also what they aim to fix or bypass. In this plan, students would be indebted directly to the university in exchange for a pledge of a portion of their future earnings.

Any day now, someone’s gonna go ahead and start selling shares in their own future, and then we’ll be living in The Unincorporated Man. This college loan scheme is already that, just on a limited scale, isn’t it?

Yes. Just the threat of bankruptcy allowed him to renegotiate loans. Not possible with student loans. Hope that works with the Chinese who hold most of our debt.

I’m not a Trump fan, but I will say that if this wealth transfer is in fact just the usual wealth transfer that the farmers always get rather than a new wealth transfer on top of the existing wealth transfer, then this wealth transfer would be, in that case, no worse that the usual wealth transfer it actually is.

I confess I’m still not clear whether this $12 is a new thing, or just the old thing with a new name.
wealth transfer wealth transfer wealth transfer wealth transfer

It’s like the old saying: “Use all the food and supplies from your hurricane shelter while the sun is shining.”

Of course an emergency fund is for bailing yourself out of problems of your own making.

Yes he’s the 44th president to have done something anti-capitalist.

Yeah, where are the usual wealth transfer fans?

It’s not clear to me either whether this is just business as usual (this fund is regularly used to send billions to farmers) or something over and above the usual.

If this is business as usual, this is phenomenally bad reporting by the NY Times and WaPo.

I can’t nail this down either way – can someone find something to either back up the NY Times/WaPo or Ravenman, et al?