15 Minutes of Fame

I believe someone famous said everyone gets 15 minutes of fame. It would be fun to hear about yours! :slight_smile:

MizQuirk

I’ve been a musician since I was a little kid, and I used to get applause for playing the piano in public places, like the piano department at a store, or in a mall. I’ve played in lots of clubs and got applause there.

Now I’m practically the only local radio announcer that you hear on our station. In two years, I’ve only been recognized a handful of times when I spoke to someone. I sound a bit different in person, because I’m speaking to you and not announcing, and my voice is not processed to sound like RadioGuy, but you can tell it’s me. During an event where the public comes into the station, a mother and daughter were across the window from me as I operated the board. I turned on the mic to read the weather, and afterwards, I heard the daughter say to her mom, “Oh wow! I didn’t know he was that guy!! I can’t believe I know the guy with that voice!!!”

A couple of weeks ago, the president of the local Chamber Of Commerce was a guest on a show that I produce. I went in the studio to talk to the host, and she said, “Hey, I know that voice! (pause) I kinda expected a guy in a tuxedo!” That still cracks me up. I was also flattered to learn that all the other disc jockeys in town know of my voice, too. It hadn’t occurred to me that I’d been getting checked out by the competition. But I don’t go around for one second thinking or acting like I’m famous. Luckily, though, I have been able to extend my fifteen minutes - not a thing that everybody gets to do, and I am grateful.

When I was a senior in high school I won an MTV contest. I was a “Twisted Commando,” invading England with Twisted Sister. There were winners from each state, and we had to dress like Dee Snider.

When I was in college I was the campus queer. I was interviewed by every media outlet in central Illinois any time a gay issue made the news.