1970s : Saturday Night Fever :: 1980s: ???

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say “Back to the Future,” but please try to convince me otherwise!

Flashdance?

Footloose?

Purple Rain?

Any John Hughes movie.

Robin

Considering that SNF didn’t come out until 1978, it’s kinda hard for me to see it as capturing the essence of the 70’s

Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo

How about Saturday Night Fever = late '70s and Easy Rider = late '60s/early '70s? Sugarland Express could represent the mid-'70s.

My vote would be for Smokey and the Bandit there.

I think the only significant part of mid-'70s life represented in Smokey and the Bandit is the CB craze, something which Convoy does better. Sugarland Express represents life as a whole, sort of Easy Rider on a smaller scale.

Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High…

Anything Van Halen. (Pre-Sammy, and Post-Sammy-- 5150).

“The Rocky Horror Picture Show”

Should fit in there someplace

Risky Business seems to me to be the quintessential 80’s movie.

Breakfast Club is also a good choice

What are you going for? Most popular movie or the movie that best depicts the time?

SNF depicted the 70’s. The hairstyles, the music, the dress. You can pop it in and groan at the fashions.

BTTF was a popular movie, but it didn’t “do” for the 80’s what SNF did for the 70’s.

The 80’s were more Flashdance or Purple Rain, with the big hair, the shoulder pads, the leg warmers, the techno music.

The 90’s? Clueless?

Flashdance, Dirty Dancing, Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo

80’s -
Valley Girl or Fast Times at Ridgemont High, or possibly Wall Street or Less than Zero.

Urban cowboy

That’s what I was going to say! But then, I think every sequel should have “Electric Boogaloo” in the title. Consider:

The Matrix 2: Electric Boogaloo
The Sixth Sense 2: Electric Boogaloo
The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Cal, that depends on how you feel about this topic.
Does a movie even have to come out in it’s own decade in order to capture a feel for the time?
Did American Graffitti capture the essence of the late 50’s/early 60’s?
What about these?
Diner
Dazed and Confused
The Virgin Suicides
Dick
Stand By Me
Radio Days

There are obviously many more.
As for the 80’s a vote here for ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Anyone? Anyone?

Breakfast Club

I agree with Beeblebrox, but you’ve got to get the emphasis on the right syllable.

Didn’t we just go over this?

I don’t really mind, just being nitpicky.

I"d throw Red Dawn in there, just to sum up the Cold War fears.