2/3 of the world population has the pylori virus

This is the virus that causes ulcers. Is it reasonable to think that we will just get reinfected soon so why bother with treatment. I am currently talking the treatment although I still think stress is what brought the ulcers on. My doctor says stress doesn’t cause ulcers. If the infection is so common but only seems to act up when someone is under extreme stress then wouldn’t it be safe to say stress causes ulcers?? I think treating the stress at some level might be worth consideration.

Not a virus but a bacteria, can’t edit the title.

I understand what your doctor is saying, I think. I might be all-washed-up, but this is how I see it.

The ulcers are caused by the infection. The stress factor just seems to “set the stage” for the ulcer to form*. Without the bacteria, you wouldn’t get the ulcers. With the bacteria, people still get ulcers without the stress, but just at a much lower incidence. Perhaps an unhelpful distinction in your eyes, but if fighting the bacterial will cure the ulcers, then the difference allows the doctor to choose a treatment that will be effective.

*IANAD, but perhaps the stressful situations lower a person’s immunity so that the bacteria can become active.

It’s a bacteria no?

Yes it is a bacteria

UNTRUE.

Many people get gastric and duodenal ulcers without being infected with H. Pylori.

Many things cause ulcers, and while H. Pylori bacteria is a very common cause, there are other common causes. So treatment for ulcers needs to be based on the cause, and not just automatically assumed to be from an infection.

Stress is not considered to be a significant contributor to ulcers in the vast majority of cases these days.

Other common causes include smoking, NSAID (ibuprofen, aspirin, etc.) use, neoplasms, acid hypersecretion, and ischemia to the stomach/duodenal lining (from athersclerotic disease or cocaine/meth abuse).

I am happy about every president in my lifetime. Each president is a learning experience that exposes things in our political and social structure that may need addressing or at least be recognized. I always have believed that change in government is best done slowly and in increments and be hard fought for when there is no longer any doubt a change is needed. Trump has exposed many things about our society.

Yup, he gives me ulcers too.

I was wondering where my president post went??? Posted on the wrong thread

H. Pylori is a cruel mistress, indeed.

Successful eradication of H. pylori infection occurs in up to 94% of cases (depending in part on whether top-of-the-line combination therapy including acid-suppressant medication is used), and reinfection rates are low in developed countries.

So if you’re having significant H.-pylori related symptoms it makes sense to be treated.

I hate Helicobacter. I’ve spent too many hours squinting at gastric mucosa at high power to detect their nasty little bodies.

I have had H. Pylori in the past. It wasn’t pleasant to say the least, but I was treated by medicine after diagnosis. I am still alive. One of many reasons as I get older to appreciate big Pharma. (If only they could find find my house key I would be very satisfied).

They are shaped like little corkscrews. They worm their way into your stomach lining. I agree with Jackmanii. They all are nasty critters. Google keywords. It will turn your stomach.

Jesus, Badger, you’ve had a hell of time lately, haven’t you?

Here’s one good reason for treatment:
“Evidence has been found linking the changes caused by H. pylori infection in the stomach lining as a strong risk factor for stomach cancer.”

“Infection with H. pylori is the strongest known risk factor for gastric cancer, which is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths worldwide.”

And another reason: in the days before H. pylori was known to be a bacteria and before antibiotic treatment was available for it, people died of perforated ulcers caused by it. Two famous writers died in this way, Rudyard Kipling in 1936 and James Joyce in 1941.

“Today, with knowledge about the relationship between H pylori and peptic ulcer disease, Joyce could have been effectively treated much earlier in his life by eradication of the causative agent, thereby sparing him years of agony.”

Do we know that Kipling and Joyce’s were caused by H. Pylori or are we just guessing?

Nava, good question. Beyond the summary page, I can’t get into the James Joyce medscape.com article above (paywall) and don’t know whether it includes more details on Joyce’s condition that would signal H.pylori infection. Its author looks like a qualified physician practicing at a hospital that I know is reputable, so if he’s making a guess it would be an educated one.
Albert Lowenfels, MD, Professor of Surgery, Professor of Community Preventive Medicine; Emeritus Surgeon, Department of Surgery, Westchester Medical Center, Valhalla, New York

I first saw the reference to Rudyard Kipling being infected with H.pylori on Barry Marshall’s website at least 10 years ago but can’t find it there any more; he does mention Joyce, though, and again it looks like an educated guess:
James Joyce; (Family history of stomach cancer and died of a perforated ulcer . . .). Most people born before 1940 would have had HP as adults, especially in Ireland.

The “2/3 of the worlds population” number is interesting by not relevant. Although H. Pylori is common, in general not all types of H. Pylori even cause ulcers.

This was one of the confusing elements of the original research: it wasn’t reproduced in other populations having other H. Pylori.