2 ingredient bread dough

I’ve seen a lot of videos of this dough, which consists of Greek yogurt and self-rising flour. They’re making everything from pizzas to donuts. Anybody try this stuff, and got any tips? The finished products don’t look bad.

It’s good. I make it when needing a recipe for flatbread, eg, to use to sop up dips and meaty juices etc. Easy as hell to make, and always turns out brilliantly well.

Haven’t tried it for donuts though. In fact, I’ve never made donuts at all.

Someone just gave me a quart of plain yogurt that I don’t know what to do with. I have flour but it’s regular all-purpose, not self-raising. Do I add baking powder to make this bread/dough?

Mix:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
quarter teaspoon salt

Now you have self-rising flour.

Greek yogurt is different enough from regular yogurt that I don’t know if it’ll work the same way, but you should give it a try anyway and let us know!

Thanks! It’s not Greek yogurt, just regular plain (unflavored).

Pretty much the same for myself, and for a quickie pizza crust as mentioned in the OP. However, if you have a bit more time (and energy) you can also make a decent naan bread rather than a general flatbread. Pretty much the same ingredients, but cook in a rocket hot cast iron skillet.

For the details, and it includes Johnny_Bravo’s ‘how to make self-rising flour at home’. Which is a good hack to have.

I will say, food snob that I am, that if you end up enjoying it a lot, it’s not too much more work to go with a yeast bread, which to my taste is definitely superior. And now that the COVID baking craze is reduced, you can find yeast in the stores at a reasonable price again.

I use it for scrolls. I spread with either Vegemite or chutney (never mixed!), sprinkle grated cheese over, roll up and slice. The kids love it.

Although if you’re going to that much trouble, it’s not any harder to make one of the variants of no-knead bread/pizza dough. It’s actually got fewer ingredients than flour, baking powder, salt & yogurt.

No-Knead Bread Recipe - NYT Cooking (nytimes.com)

Adding two commonly available ingredients to flour isn’t remotely as much trouble as making no knead dough. 20 hours of rising, then moving it to rest in a well floured cloth, to dumping the dough into a blazing hot dutch oven, it’s a fair amount of work and you have to start a day and a half in advance.

I think the benefit of these recipes isn’t so much the reduced ingredients, as it is you can make a dough, cook it immediately, and it is actually bread, and not a pancake. The naan recipe is just mixing the dough, rolling it flat and frying it.

It makes some good bagel bites. I believe it gained a bit of popularity with the Weight Watchers crowd because it’s “low points”. You need to keep that in mind when reading reviews. I’m not saying it doesn’t have a place. It’s easy and has a good chew. It’s a little hard to work with as it can be a little sticky. I would take it over a boxed pizza crust.

I make no-knead dough weekly for pizza, but it takes planning ahead. I agree – it’s not difficult, but it’s not the same as, oh, I just came home from work and want to throw something together right now, what can I do?

I’ve been meaning to try this recipe for awhile, but haven’t gotten around to it. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work well – it wouldn’t be a yeast-leavened bready dough, but for a soda bread/cake/biscuit/cracker-type thing (small, even holes from chemical leavening), it looks great, and the yogurt seems like a good idea for the tang it adds and the fat, which should make it more tender and keep longer.

Hmm, and if you want it to have an even more complex flavor, you could sub part of the wet/dry (split it 50/50 by weight) with sourdough starter discard. I’ll have to try it, since I regularly have some discard to use.