2004 Oscars; Belleville singer?

Does anyone know who sung the song from Triplets of Belleville on the Academy Award show the other night?

The song Belleville Rendez-vous was performed by the singer Cheri (sp?) and composer Benoit Charest.

Oops! I was wrong about the name. The singer was Betty Bonifassi, who is married to Montreal jazz musician and composer Benoit Charest. Betty voices one of the triplets.

I believe she was introduced just as “Betty”.

My two cents here, but that was easily the best performance of one of the nominated songs during the show. They did a great job of capturing the wackiness of that song and translating it from animation to live action.

I haven’t seen the movie yet - but seeing that performance definitely made me want to more. Very kicky - definitely one of my favorite performances of the night. To be honest, of all the songs performed, the one that won (from LOTR:FOTK, of course), was my least favorite. I think I would have prefered that The Scarlet Tide won, if I was to go strictly by performance. I’m not big on sappy songs, but both performances by Alison Krauss were just incredible.

Susan

Before we drift to Cafe Society with this question, I will say that vacuum cleaners and bicycle spokes are an important part of the “plot” of the film.

Thank you, Walloon and BobT. I agree with Susan. I enjoyed that song more than any of the others, and Benoit’s wife did a great job on it, visually and vocally.

This is definitely headed toward CS, I think, so I’ll just say: Triplets of Belleville is in my top five for the year. I can’t recommend it highly enough. Finding Nemo was great, but Triplets is genius. And yeah, the music kicks ass. :slight_smile:

Oh, and a final note more in line with GQ, the lyrics to the Oscar-nominated song were written by the film’s director, Sylvain Chomet.

Do you think it’s easier or harder to write lyrics that make no sense?

And in two different languages!

I wanted one of the guitarists to start playing with his toes.