2006 Weight Loss Club - April

Me too, if you’re near me and not The Chao Goes Mu.

I think I’m out

Because I think most of you are right and I am obstinate and full of shit.

I’m not going to ask anyone to tell me I’m doing fine when I’m not.

Also… partially because I feel bad telling half-truths and partly because I can’t stand the idea of weighing that much… “less than 95” doesn’t mean 94… or 84…
but anyway… good luck to the rest of you. Work hard, be healthy, and thanks for your concern.

Dorothy, no one said that you are obstinate and full of shit. If my posts came off as harsh, it is because it freaked me out that we could all be handing you weight loss advice when you are wasting away. I see from another post of yours that some adults in your life are intervening. I hope they do so in a caring and helpful manner. When I was anorexic, my mom responded in some of the LEAST helpful ways imaginable and I know what that is like. I also know what good help is like, though.

Email’s in my profile if you want to talk.

Be healthy and strong.

Sorry, guys. I live nowhere near either of you, and it’s gone now.

OK. It was mostly a good week. I did my cardio at the gym at lunch all week and had a tunafish sandwich at my desk. Then onto weights at home. Yesterday I was on the road from 7 AM until well past 10:30 PM so I did not get to do the cardio (I got up early enough to do the weights.)

Since I worked so late yesterday and since I have a lunch appointment today, I went to work late and did my cardio in the morning. I’ll be sure to do my weights this evening.

I am better I think at eating, but still have not given up my penchant for sweets. I continue to maintain the effort however.

If nothing else, I am proud of my newer active lifestyle. The year is more than 1/4 over and I have stayed commited to working out. I am seeing real results in the arms and shoulders too. I still seem to have scrawny little legs, but I always have. I’ll just have to keep working on them.

This week: -1. YTD: -11. Considering this was Water Weight Week, I’m okay with this.

Found a good place at the new job for a midday walk, so did that three times this week (went out to lunch one day; don’t remember the other day, might just have been busy). Back to my regimen of a sandwich for lunch and a salad for dinner. All in all, a totally normal week.

Lost another pound. I really was hoping for more but I guess a pound of week is a decent pace. I may be gaining muscle which of course is heavier so…I refuse to get discouraged.

This weekend was great, I worked out, went running, golfing and did strenuous yard work. My muscles are sore but I feel great.

189/183/145

Checking in:

Weight Plan: Bernstein Diet
Start Date: March 21

218/188/160

For some reason, this week was really easy. No temptations. I had a couple of people ask me this weekend what was an example day of what I could eat, and I thought others might be interested, so here goes:

Breakfast:
1 slice Oroweat bread - 100 calories
1 tbsp. Fat Free cream cheese - 27 calories
1 protein bar - 150 calories

Lunch:
225 grams cauliflower - 60 calories
1 apple - 72 calories
1/2 orange - 49 calories
12 Breton mini-crackers - 80 calories

Dinner
100 grams ground veal - 146 calories
225 grams cucumber - 38 calories

Total daily calories - 722

Pray for Mojo…

I’m happy to announce that I’ve broken a mini-plateau, and weigh in at 227. I’m 7 lbs from my minimum goal; 22 from my surgeon’s; and 28 from my ultimate.

BTW, I had a body fat analysis done last week at my surgeon’s office. I found out that my lean mass is 182 lbs. I’m happy with that because it is object proof that the 160 lbs dictated by the BMI proponents is BS in my case. By body fat content, I’m at 22%, which is the upper end of normal. 15% puts me a short handful over the surgeon’s goal.

It’s almost over for me, folks. Inside every fat person is a skinny one trying to get out, and my head has popped out and looking 'round.

My roadtrip is but a memory and I am fighting to get back on my diet and seem to be succeeding. I was at 203 this morning, which is down four pounds from the April 1st, my last post to this thread, and ~25 since the beginning of the year.

Initial Weight: 360 lbs
Current Weight: 203 lbs
Goal Weight: 150 lbs

157 lbs down; 53 to go.

Okay, I am going to join this group. I need an extra push or something. I am a very short person, for most of my life I was an average weight for my size.

I am going to tell you my weigh but please remember that I am under 5 feet tall and according to all the height/weight and BMI charts I am obese even though all I really need to lose is about 20 to 25 pounds. I currently weight 126 pounds and I would like to weigh 105 at most. I am very frustrated right now because even my “fat pants” are getting too tight and I refuse to go buy more fat pants.

About 10 years ago I started putting on weight, bad eating habits, little exercise and fibromyalgia all contributed to it. When I feel good and have no pain or fatigue issues I am so busy trying to catch up with things that I don’t exercise or eat well, I may manage to lose a little from the increased activity but it doesn’t usually last. When I have fatigue and pain issues I don’t eat well or exercise because of that. I was 128 at my heaviest and managed to get down to 105 again when I broke up with my boyfriend, but that method was a little too stressful and hard on my system. Now I’d probably just eat more if that happened.

Anyway, my main problem is I can’t get myself into a healthy routine. I’d like to get back into belly-dancing or start yoga but I think I need a class for the routine and there’s always something keeping me from starting (right now it’s a crappy car and uncertain schedule at work). As for diet, I usually end up not eating breakfast and having a crappy lunch and then gorging myself on junk at night. I also have been doing more night shifts lately, which along with the fibro messes up my sleep cycle so I often stay up very late and sleep in the morning so it’s usually lunch time by the time I get around to eating my first meal.

The breaking bad habits will be my biggest obstacle but the eating healthy is also hard because sometimes I just don’t want to eat then when I do I overdo it.

Does anyone have any good easy breakfast and lunch ideas? I am getting sick of yogurt which is what I usually eat when I am trying to eat healthy.

I’ve complete the Core phase of my HMR very low calorie program, and am now in Phase 2, basically doing the same thing and waiting for the plateau to drop. I’ve lost 24 pounds in 13 weeks.

I started out unable to do the elliptical machine more than one minute. Literally. Every time I went to the gym I made a point to go on the elliptical for as long as I could, even if I could only increase in 30 second increments. I’m up to 20 minutes now, with a goal of 30 minutes.

I’ll never tell my weight, but I guess I could put it like this:

high/-24/-50

Wile E, I know where you’re coming from. I also have fibromyalgia. I have found it difficult to keep up my positive exercise momentum once symptoms flare. That’s usually the undoing of exercise programs for me. You’re on the right track, ready to make the changes, and you’ll find that even 20 pounds will make a difference in the pain issues. The improvement in ease of movement is one of the best perks for me. Also, if you think we feel bad now, imagine how we’d feel with type II diabetes on top of FM. That “obese” category is the signal that we’re at risk all that bad stuff. I celebrated the day I moved into the “overweight” category.

I don’t know how you can live with a job that messes with your sleep as you do. We with FM so desperately need a predictable sleep cycle. Is there any way you can move to a better job to improve your health sleepwise? You know, right, that many of our symptoms are the result of poor quality sleep?

Good luck to you. Don’t give up the enthusiasm to make a change.

Well, the job situation is hopefully temporary. I am actually the manager and usually make my own schedule and work during the day. However I occasionaly have to fill in when someone is sick or a shift opens up. In January I had someone leave for 6 months and I had to fire someone. I have most of the shifts filled now but for a while I was working a couple overnights a week and some overtime. Now I am only having to work maybe two overnights a month and a couple evening shifts so that is much better. If I can’t fill those within a couple more months at least the person on leave will be back by then. But my sleep pattern is still pretty screwed up and yes, I know that sleep quality is a big problem with the symptoms. Part of the problem is that when I do sleep I just dream all the time and wake up more tired than I was when I went to sleep.

Hey all you losers, just wanted to give you a post from the maintenance side of things (13 months and counting!).

I just got back from a 1.5 week trip to Singapore. I stayed in a fancy hotel and was treated to decadent meals (including several all you can eat buffets). I tried to make a few healthy choices here or there, but I was afraid the scale would punish me for my freshly squeezed pineapple juice/chocolate bread pudding obsessions. Weighed myself yesterday and I’m still at 128 (130 being my max limit).

It was a good lesson for me - I have been so scared to leave the “structure” of my healthy eating and actually splurge a bit. It is good to know that occasional indulgences are really okay. I had to remind myself it wasn’t a week of all you could eat buffets that made me heavy, it was a 24/7 lifestyle of unhealthy eating. I stopped at the grocery store as soon as I got back, stocked up on healthy food, planned dinners/packed lunches and I’m right back on track for maintenance.

Good luck to all of you guys - definitely be thinking long term. What are you going to do when you reach goal? Figuring out that question was key to long term successful weight loss!! Considering how many times I lost weight, losing weight was the easy part, keeping the weight off was the hard part.

HW 195
CW 128
5’7"
Reached goal weight in March 2005

This week: -1. YTD: - 12.

Not bad, considering I did some junk-food snacking this week, and had a grilled-cheese sandwich for dinner one night. My original goal was 5 pounds a month, and obviously it’s turned out to be three – but I’m losing steadily, I’m keeping it off, and I’m not feeling deprived, so what the hell, it’s gonna take me six months instead of four to lose the 20 pounds I promised myself.

May edition of the Weight Loss Club