2008 NFL Mini Camps and Offseason Thread

Well, yeah.

Jordan Dizon, the second round pick of the Lions, got a DUI 6 days before the Lions drafted him.

Sorry, news is slow.

Not that Scouts Inc. is anything great, but to throw it out there for offseason discussion, they ranked the O-lines of the league.

Ah, I remember the debate with the delusional Steelers fans during the season about the best O-line in the AFC North.

Outside of Eric Steinbach (TRAITOR! :smiley: ) and Thomas, I think your oline is decidedly average. And now so is the Steelers without Faneca, and the Rats without Ogden.

I honestly think that the Bengals have the best oline in the division, if, IF everyone remains healthy, which hasn’t happened recently. Center is our weakest spot, but we have great tackles.

Anybody want Chris Simms?

He’s yours for a ball of pocket lint and a gift card to be named later.

So I’m watching ESPN, and the ticker at the bottom cycles through the various categories - NFL, Nascar, MLB, etc. Well… now there’s a FAVRE category. An entire category.

What I really want to know is how the entire Favre thing happened. I want details.

No, no I really don’t. Are that many people enthralled with it, or is this one of those “most people really don’t care right now” things?
RNATB: The Lions are in talks with the Buccaneers to get Mr. Simms.

I hear Soap Opera Network is working on a deal with ESPN to replay the highlights of the day’s interviews with or about Favre. They’re gonna call the show Brett of Nazareth.

Slow (football) news cycle month + hint of controversy = Quick! Get John Clayton on the phone!

I hope for your sake that the deal falls through. Kid’s done. Kaput. He’ll never win a game again.

The Bears signed former Lions running back Kevin Jones.
Goddammit.

Don’t worry. By my count, he’s only got one or two ligaments left in each knee.

I’m pretty happy with his signing. We got him on the cheap so he’s an all-reward, no-risk investment. I’m not that familiar with Jones game since he’s been hurt so much but assuming he’s close to a 100% he should give us a dimension of speed that we haven’t had in the backfield in years. Ideally he’ll be the speed back coming in on 3rd downs to catch passes and make plays in the open field, theoretically he should be the best blocker in the group as a veteran so that’s a logical role. If Forte is the work horse they are billing him as the two will compliment each other nicely and Jones might have a chance at finishing out the season.

He’s a perfect complementary back in the Brian Westbrook mould. I think the last four years have shown that while he has the skills to be an every-down guy, he just doesn’t have the knees for it.

He was already not quite the speedster in the last two years that he was as a rookie - think Edgerrin James pre- and post-ACL surgery - but he does still have quicks and he’s elusive.

He’s also a pretty strong runner and getting much better at receiving out of the backfield. He was brought in to compete for the starting job.
Nice signing. Goddammit.

I kinda lump him in with the other free agent running backs and proclaim them all to be a big pile of steaming MEH. The upside with Jones is that he comes pre-injured, so you don’t have to worry about him getting hurt right away. The signing is like the majority of other signings in the NFL… it fills a hole, creates a modicum of competition, but, in the end, will amount to next to nothing. Might as well sign AlexTravisMusaTysonToefield.

But, in the doldrums of early July, at least it’s something to talk about besides Favre.

And, as a Packer fan, I must say that I find the coverage of the whole thing painful. It’s got that whole “You got your soap opera in my football!! YOU got your football in my soap opera!!!” feel. I can see both sides of the issue, and it’s an unfortunate situation. I think the Packers are doing the right thing for them to move on, and I think Favre is in a tough spot of his own making. C’est la vie.

I definitely disagree with that. Jones is a former 1,000 yard back who isn’t clearly past his prime, as Travis Henry, Shaun Alexander et al are.

Right. Not only that, but he still put up decent numbers when healthy and even in the Martz offense.
It’s a good signing all around.

Kevin Jones may not be past his prime, but his legs certainly are.

He hasn’t had a 1,000 yard season in 3 years, his ypc has dropped from his rookie 4.7 to 3.8 last year, and he’s rarely, if ever, gotten more than 20 carries a game.

Hey, if signing a guy coming off a torn ACL, with a prior Lisfranc injury to his foot, to be a part time rusher who won’t be able to play at even his hobbled 100% until mid season gets you excited, have at it. Personally, I think it’s a fine low risk signing, but I think anyone who expects him to have a “high reward” this season is mistaken. At the very best, he’ll help take pressure off Forte for a few games and might, if lucky, get 500 yards and 5 touchdowns. That’s nice and all, but not very much to get excited about. The potential is there that, in 2009, he’ll be fully recovered and might, just might, be a nice pickup, but at this point, he’ll be no better than the plethora of free agent running backs available.

And, I’d be remiss if I didn’t point out he’ll be running behind a poor O Line and get no support from a pathetic passing game.

But to each their own.

Again, the Martz offense really limited his rush attempts.

And the two prior seasons before Martz and the Lisfranc when he averaged 3.8 and 3.6? And Faulk didn’t seem to suffer under Martz.

I don’t doubt Martz’s “geniusness” limited Kevin Jones opportunities to run the ball, just like Jones’ own injuries have. But I don’t think that’s the only reason for his lack of success.

Thomas Jones did just fine behind that line; I think you may be reading too much into Benson’s numbers last year.