2009-10 Golden Globe nominations

(I didn’t pay any attention to the television nominees, sorry. If someone else wants to post them, that’s fine.)

Best Picture (Drama)

1. “Avatar” (20th Century Fox, 12/18)
  2. “The Hurt Locker” (Summit, 6/26)
  3. “Inglourious Basterds” (The Weinstein Company, 8/21)
  4. “Precious” (Lions Gate, 11/6)
  5. “Up in the Air” (Paramount, 12/4)

Best Picture (Musical or Comedy)

1. “500 Days of Summer” (Fox Searchlight, 7/17)
  2. “The Hangover” (Warner Brothers, 6/5)
  3. “It’s Complicated” (Universal, 12/25)
  4. “Julie & Julia” (Columbia, 8/7)
  5. “Nine” (The Weinstein Company, 12/18)

Best Director

1. Kathryn Bigelow (“The Hurt Locker”)
  2. James Cameron (“Avatar”)
  3. Clint Eastwood (“Invictus”)
  4. Jason Reitman (“Up in the Air”)
  5. Quentin Tarantino (“Inglourious Basterds”)

Best Actor (Drama)

1. Jeff Bridges (“Crazy Heart”)
  2. George Clooney (“Up in the Air”)
  3. Colin Firth (“A Single Man”)
  4. Morgan Freeman (“Invictus”)
  5. Tobey Maguire (“Brothers”)

Best Actor (Musical or Comedy)

1. Matt Damon (“The Informant!”)
  2. Daniel Day-Lewis (“Nine”)
  3. Robert Downey, Jr. (“Sherlock Holmes”)
  4. Joseph Gordon-Levitt (“500 Days of Summer”)
  5. Michael Stuhlbarg (“A Serious Man”)

Best Actress (Drama)

1. Emily Blunt (“The Young Victoria”)
  2. Sandra Bullock (“The Blind Side”)
  3. Helen Mirren (“The Last Station”)
  4. Carey Mulligan (“An Education”)
  5. Gabby Sidibe (“Precious”)

Best Actress (Musical or Comedy)

1. Sandra Bullock (“The Proposal”)
  2. Marion Cotillard (“Nine”)
  3. Julia Roberts (“Duplicity”)
  4. Meryl Streep (“It’s Complicated”)
  5. Meryl Streep (“Julie & Julia”)

Best Supporting Actor

1. Matt Damon (“Invictus”)
  2. Woody Harrelson (“The Messenger”)
  3. Christopher Plummer (“The Last Station”)
  4. Stanley Tucci (“The Lovely Bones”)
  5. Christoph Waltz (“Inglourious Basterds”)

Best Supporting Actress

1. Penelope Cruz (“Nine”)
  2. Vera Farmiga (“Up in the Air”)
  3. Anna Kendrick (“Up in the Air”)
  4. Mo’Nique (“Precious”)
  5. Julianne Moore (“A Single Man”)

Best Screenplay

1. Neil Bloomkamp, Terri Tatchell (“District 9”)

2. Mark Boal (“The Hurt Locker”)

3. Nancy Meyers (“It’s Complicated”)

4. Jason Reitman, Sheldon Turner (“Up in the Air”)

5. Quentin Tarantino (“Inglourious Basterds”)
    Best Foreign Language Film

6. “Baria” (Italy)

7. “Broken Embraces” (Spain)

8. “The Maid” (Chile)

9. “A Prophet” (France)

10. “The White Ribbon” (Germany)

Best Animated Feature Film

1. “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” (Columbia, 9/18)
  2. “Coraline” (Focus Features, 2/6)
  3. “The Fantastic Mr. Fox” (Fox Searchlight, 11/25)
  4. “The Princess and the Frog” (Disney, 12/11)
  5. “Up” (Disney, 5/29)

No Jeremy Renner!! :eek:
Yay for Carey Mulligan! :smiley:
No Ben Foster. :mad:
Double nominations for both Sandra Bullock and Meryl Streep! :slight_smile:
District 9 screenplay!

Is it just me or is this the biggest “who cares” year in living memory?

Someone asked me a while ago who/what the nominees would be and I could barely think of a movie or a performance that I cared about.

They liked Inglourious Basterds a lot, so I’m surprised they didn’t go for Brad Pitt in Best Supporting Actor too. He was terrific, but Christoph Waltz was even better, so I’m happy he got in. Poor Jeremy Renner. Damn. I still hope he gets an Oscar nomination.

I’m very happy for Michael Stuhlbarg too. At least the Coen Brothers are represented in some way.

I’m shocked that Invictus was left off the Best Picture (Drama).

I’ve seen all the Best Picture nominees except for Avatar and Nine. Of the acting nominees, I have yet to see Crazy Heart, A Single Man, Nine, Sherlock Holmes, The Young Victoria, The Lovely Bones, and The Last Station, which haven’t been released yet, and The Proposal, which I had no interest in when it was playing. I’ve seen all the Director and Animated films, none of the Foreign language films, and all the screenplays except for It’s Complicated. I’ll have seen them all (except the foreign language films) by the time the Golden Globes are handed out January 17th.

How can they nominate films and performances that havent been released yet?

Thanks for the threadshitting. That list represents a LOT of good-to-great movies. Your lack of interest isn’t all that interesting to me. The movies are.

The films have all been screened for the people who nominate. They’re going to be released in the upcoming weeks, such as Avatar which is out in a few days.

My apologies if you think I intended that but it is a serious question. Only yesterday I wrote a review for the work magazine (“Where the Wild Things Are” - loved it) but I was seriously asked that question a while ago and could barely think of any worthwhile movies. I genuinely cannot think of a year with less “Oscar buzz” than this year.

If it is not appropriate to mention it in your thread - mea culpa.

Apologies again.

I should add that most of the movies in the nominated list that I have seen are not “good-to-great” and I wouldn’t have bothered asking if I thought they were.

You’re “who cares?” is an insult to (most of) these films. (On preview, which of the nominated films have you seen?)

I’m an awards junkie/geek, and I’ve been hearing “Oscar buzz” for months, starting with The Hurt Locker over the summer. If you haven’t been hearing it, well, you haven’t been hearing it, but that’s because you haven’t been listening. Nothing wrong with that, but yeah, I do consider it threadshitting. You don’t care, fine, but some of us do. Ok, maybe only ArchiveGuy and myself, but our excitement (well, my excitement, since I don’t speak for ArchiveGuy) is totally geared toward the movies and not really the awards themselves.

The main reason I like awards is that it brings attention to films/performances that need it, and deserve it. Did you see The Hurt Locker? No? Then you have no idea why I’m so disappointed that Jeremy Renner got snubbed. Did you see An Education? No? Then you have no idea why I’m so happy for Carey Mulligan. Now maybe more people will see An Education or The Hurt Locker or Precious or The Messenger or Crazy Heart or A Single Man. That makes me happy.

To round things out

Best Score: Avatar, The Informant!, A Single Man, Up, Where the Wild Things Are

Best Song: “I Will See You”, Avatar; “Winter”, Brothers; “The Weary Kind”, Crazy Heart; “I Want to Come Home”, Everybody’s Fine; “Cinema Italiano”, Nine

I think Renner still has a good shot at the SAGs, though it would’ve been nice to see him here. The District 9 is a welcome surprise, as is the nod for Stuhlbarg (though that is one dark, dark “comedy”).

Otherwise, everything panned out more-or-less like I expected, though I suppose I would’ve expected for Invictus (unseen by me) to get a Pic nod.

FWIW, there’ve been a few major critics, including Roger Ebert, saying that 2009 may go down as one of the great movie years, like 1939 and 1976. So these things are obviously very subjective.

Thanks ArchiveGuy, I thought I was missing something. I just cut and pasted the list from a blog.

Here’s a link that has all the television nominees too.

To expand on the music nominees, with names:

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE – MOTION PICTURE

a. MICHAEL GIACCHINO - UP
b. MARVIN HAMLISCH - THE INFORMANT!
c. JAMES HORNER - AVATAR
d. ABEL KORZENIOWSKI – A SINGLE MAN
e. KAREN O, CARTER BURWELL – WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE

BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE

a. “CINEMA ITALIANO” — NINE
Music & Lyrics by: Maury Yeston

b. “I WANT TO COME HOME” — EVERYBODY’S FINE
Music & Lyrics by: Paul McCartney

c. “I WILL SEE YOU” — AVATAR
Music by: James Horner, Simon Franglen
Lyrics by: James Horner, Simon Franglen, Kuk Harrell

d. “THE WEARY KIND (THEME FROM CRAZY HEART)” — CRAZY HEART
Music & Lyrics by: Ryan Bingham, T Bone Burnett

e. “WINTER” — BROTHERS
Music by: U2
Lyrics by: Bono

That Nine song is the one by Kate Hudson, not the one by Fergie from the trailer. I like that song, but I kinda wanted to see Fergie perform.

Silly trivia: The co-nominee for writing “The Weary Kind,” is named Ryan Bingham. George Clooney’s character in Up In The Air is named Ryan Bingham.

There are many I haven’t seen, but I was hoping for a Best Picture nomination for Up. Looks as if it is stuck in the animated category. But with the 10 nominees for the Oscars this year, it will have a chance.

It is very possible. I wouldn’t be surprised.

Another silly bit of trivia: there’s no Cinematography award at the Golden Globes, but one cinematographer is a very happy man today. Eric Steelberg was the cinematographer on both Up In The Air and (500) Days of Summer. That should up his next paycheck! Edit to add, now he can brag that he has something in common with Meryl Streep and Sandra Bullock!

Count me in as another awards show junkie. I’ve yet to see most of the nominated films, but I did just see Up in the Air and thought it was fantastic. Really happy to see both Anna Kendricks and Vera Farmiga nominated for it.

On the TV side, looks like the usual suspects but no love for “Breaking Bad”? What gives???

Didn’t Pia Zadora win a Golden Globe for “Butterfly” ?

Yay for Lea Michele in Glee! Yay for John Lithgow in Dexter. Yay for Mad Men! I love award shows - can’t WAIT!

It’s funny how some of the television categories had nominees that could have made someone mistake it for a film category. Such as this (cutting and pasting from the site):

It’s interesting how many big movie names are now doing television. It speaks to the quality of television (in a very good way, not a bad way). I don’t watch television, but at least I know that I’m the one missing out. There’s some great things going on on television.

I don’t watch it – maybe it has something to do with the schedule? Those cable shows have wacky schedules. Like The Closer is running three shows in the middle of December, after being off for a couple of months, and then it will be off for a couple of more months. There’s no such thing as a “season” anymore.

Entourage for Best Comedy? I’m a fan, but come on. Entourage has even admitted that Vince is entirely uninteresting.

And where the FUCK is Sons of Anarchy and its cast?!