2009 Fall Cancellation Prediction thread

I’ll pick The Forgotten. I like Christian Slater, but the first episode was “Without a Trace” meets “The Ghost Whisperer”.

Then again, I was the one who predicted that “The Ghost Whisperer” would be cancelled early in its first season…

Already done.

Despite the heavy marketing push, Flash Forward will probably crash and burn just like every other serialized mystery-based drama created after Lost has.

TV shows have become such a crapshoot now, I don’t even watch a new show until it’s gotten through one season and been picked up for another. When I hear a show that looked interesting was renewed, I get the dvds and catch myself up. I was burned too many times getting myself invested in a show and having it yanked out from under me.

I watched an extended preview for *Flash Forward *on Hulu, and it looks pretty good. I predict it will last long enough for me to get completely hooked and invested in the characters, and then they’ll cancel it with no notice.

I wanted to watch Modern Family and left the TV on for Cougar Town afterwards. It’s actually kind of funny. But I also have a certain sense of humor. I don’t know if the premise is strong enough for the show to be funny for long but I am gonna give it a shot.

FYI, Courtney Cox is supposed to be the recently-divorced cougar that’s 40 IIRC and Busy Phillips is her younger coworker/friend that tries to get her to go out and have fun.

I hear the Leno Show is not holding the crowds.

It doesn’t have to, it’s far cheaper to produce than a one hour drama. It doesn’t need the same audience.

Stupid question: a while back I saw a preview for an upcoming show that was an “end of the world” type show. Anyone know anything about it?

Probably “Flash Forward” people are liking it, but it could be this year’s “Nine”

Seriously, you can’t have any sexual tension without turning her into a cheating whore (not that I think that, it’s just how Middle America will see it), but without any sexual tension where are you going? Seriously, even CSI added some sexual tension for crying out loud.

What do you mean by “this year’s Nine”? I didn’t hear anything about “Nine” last year.

Sorry, it was called The Nine. Cool pilot. Interesting idea. Got worse every episode because they had no clue what to do with the premise they set up.

I watched Cougar Town, and actually felt sorry for the cast—I wanted there to be some laughs, but it was (to me) awful, and there was no one in the show to even want to like. (except for possibly Cox’s son)

Modern Family had a couple mildly amusing lines, but was also quite underwhelming—I dont see either of these shows making it, but of course I am no critic…

PS–myskepticsight, I am glad you enjoyed Cougar Town, I was NOT trying to question your taste; if its funny to you, thats all that counts

I’m a middle-aged woman and I wouldn’t watch Cougar Town if you – well, if you paid me.

I’ve only seen one new show: Eastwick. I accidentally came across it, saw that some interesting actors were in it, and sort of watched (while online the entire time, of course). It was okay.

I was bored so I watched a bunch of new shows tonight: Mercy, Modern Family, Couger Town, and Eastwick. If any of them are still around come New Years, I’ll be shocked.

Cougar Town: That was not so good. Definitely not worth a separate thread and worthy of being listed here. In particular, there were two monologues by Cox near the end that just brought the show to a standstill.

The obvious right way to do a rant is like Dr. Cox on Scrubs. And what makes this strange is that Bill Lawrence is a writer for both shows. (And is married to Christa Miller which explains that.) How can he not write a good rant for the other Cox? (Who also appeared as Dr. Cox’s boss for a few shows last season.)

The Forgotten won’t last 6 weeks.
Poor Christian Slater. I really liked My Own Worst Enemy.

Huh. I liked Modern Family and Cougar Town.

I didn’t think Eastwick was so great, though.

Yeah–it wasn’t a good show, but I would have like to know what really happened on Reunion. And The Nine.

I watched the last half of Mercy and I agree, that is one bad show.

It also suffers the same problems Zakalwe foresaw for The Good Wife, the only way to add any sexual tension between the Sassy Nurse and the Improbably Hot Doctor is to turn her into a cheating whore.