2010 College Football Coach Firings & Hirings

I honestly can’t tell if that’s a good decision for Malzahn. If Auburn tanks next year, and Malzahn’s offense isn’t as effective as it was while being run by Newton, his employability at the HC level is going to take a hit.

On the other hand, it IS Vandy…

His stock will never be higher than it is right now. I can see not wanting to go to Vandy, but Auburn could be really bad next year.

Vanderbilt talking to the OC from Maryland

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20101214/SPORTS0602/101214071/Vanderbilt-won-t-confirm-James-Franklin-reports

Sounds like Dana Holgerson (OC - OSU) is headed to West Virginia to serve as OC for a year, then take over as head coach the next year.

Great school. Bad part of town. Of course, the incoming freshmen have no idea about this.

Question: Which will come first? Female President or major college F-Ball coach?

I say President. No brainer, really.

If you go to ND virtually every single game is on national television, a definite boost if you have any NFL aspirations. Plus you can walk from campus for miles in any direction without having a death wish. Plus every other year you get to play in East Lansing. Plus you don’t have to play in Alabama.

Back to Florida, for just a second.

I LIKE Will Muschamp, and don’t THINK Florida will regret hiring him. I THINK he’ll probably do a great job.

BUT…

It still surprises me that Florida made this choice so quickly, and didn’t SEEM to make much of an effort at a higher profile coach. Florida is one of the plum jobs in college football, and in theory, the Gators could lure almost ANY big name coach they wanted.

Muschamp is probably a good hire, but couldn’t/shouldn’t the Gators have TRIED to lure a more established coach? Why didn’t they?

Vanderbilt ends up with Franklin from MD

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/12/its_official_james_franklin_to.html

This is a couple of days old now, but Pitt hired Miami (Ohio) head coach Michael Haywood.

Whoopie.

A puzzling hire that’s receiving its share of criticism in Pitt circles. Pitt doesn’t seem to have a clue on how to run a football program, and the “search” for this guy was a joke. He’s coached only two years at Miami. His first year was 1-11, and his second year, 9-4 with a win over (wait for it) Northern Illinois in the conference championship.

I was not unhappy to see Wannstadt go. A nice guy, and Pitt alum, but never able to win a big game at home. This year’s team was supposed to blow through the Big East and head to a BCS bowl. Instead, they tied for the league with WVU and UConn, both teams who beat Pitt. Pitt is going to the “Who Gives a Shit” Bowl in Idont Mississippi.

As for the hire, there are those trying to put a positive spin on it. It’s tough. The comparison to the Steelers hire of Mike Tomlin is insulting, as the Pittsburgh AD is not the Rooneys and has a track record of ho-hum to poor hires.

MD may fire their coach and hire Mike Leach

Sources: Maryland may ask Ralph Friedgen to retire - ESPN

Kind of old news at this point, but Washington State has chosen to retain Coach Paul Wulff. Can anybody think of any other coach that has kept their job after acquiring a record as bad as 5-32 (.132, 2-25 in conference)?

Surprised they didn’t wait for Meyer to change his mind again.

MD coach is officially out and Leach seems to be #1 on the list.

Former Temple head coach Al Golden is now the U. of Miami’s head coach, replacing Randy Shannon. In his first 72 hours on the job, Golden is already racking up the frequent-flyer miles on the NE corridor recruiting trail. He shares with his predecessor an emphasis on academics, but the boosters hope he’ll do a better job WRT motivation, conditioning, play-calling and leadership.

How that guy recruited at Temple is beyond me. He should make Miami a talent juggernaut.

Michigan has called a press conference for 12:30 ET to discuss the situation with its head football coach. Several news agencies have quoted sources saying that it is to announce Rich Rodriguez is fired.

I just hope they have the next coach already lined up. I’d hate to see several recruits leave because Michigan hasn’t hired a coach in time.

…but instead wind up with Randy Edsall:confused:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure he’s a fine coach, but seriously WTF?!

Oh man, this rumor that surely won’t materialize would be too funny. Miles to Michigan (fine), and Jimbo Fisher from FSU to LSU (FSU would fans would be absolutely crushed, I think). Miami’s recruiting class would go from poor (just a few weeks ago) to decent/good (Golden’s doing good work so far, and it should get better) to great (grab some top FSU prospects like TE Nick O’Leary).

Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher receives raise, contract extension after first season

Lots of news today (although some of it negative):

Les Miles is staying at LSU - no word yet on a reworked contract, but surely one is coming.
Chris Petersen is staying at Boise State - ditto on a reworked contract, but there does seem to be some committment on facility improvements.

Pitt hires Tulsa’s Todd Graham.