2014 New Zealand General Election

Well three years are almost up so it’s time again for a New Zealand General Election. Here’s our thread from last time.

The campaign officially starts this Wednesday and the election will be held on 20 September. As always wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive pageup.

This time around we’ve got an unholy alliance between a German internet tycoon and Hone Harawira, an explosive book about dirty politics and Colin Craig to add to our topics of discussion.

I heard that the book has cost National 9 % points?

Who’s the pick of the litter this time round?

Is Peter Dunne still hanging around? What’s his party called this time? When I lived in NZ it seemed to change at least annually.

I don’t think there have been any polls since Hager’s book came out last week, I’d be amazed if had that much effect (to be honest I haven’t read it yet).

National’s poll lead seems untouchable, Labour looks like to collapse even lower than last time. The Greens will likely pick up a couple more MPs. I’m guessing New Zealand First will get over 5% again.

Dunne’s still there and while his hair is greyer it still defies gravity. He still goes by the name ‘United Future’ for electoral purposes.

UGH…When’s that freaking pratt going to retire? Why can’t we take him out and shoot him?

I see news on Vicki Buck - is she running for election anywhere (have a lot of respect for her)

I think Vicki Buck is too busy rebuilding Christchurch…

As for Peters, he’ll keep running until either he or his support base eventually die off I reckon.

It’s still being held under MMP, yes?

Rightly or wrongly, the NZ election has not been on my radar previously but the wife of a friend from university is running and it’s consequently been all over my Facebook feed for the last 6 months. Not knowing anything about NZ politics, I note Lisiate’s outlook on the potential fortunes of the Labour Party and hold her chances under due pessimism as a result - though I guess if NZ politics operates on a Westminster style system, she might be in a winnable seat.

Anyway - count me in as an at least somewhat interested observer this time out.

Yes, MMP was retained by a healthy majority last election…

…which means she may get in without winning an electorate if she’s high enough on this list.

Cheers. Looking at it - and her seat - it would take a fairly large collapse from the Labour Party for her not to get elected; her seat has been Labour every year since 1987 and the outgoing MP appears to have a very large majority. I guess it would be a surprise for her to have to use the list to get in.

How many parties are here to take part in election?

There are 8 parties with seats at the moment (actually 7 as ACT’s sole MP resigned after being convicted for signing a false electoral return) and one party which polled more than 1% at the last election (the Conservatives).

Plus the usual mix of fringe parties ranging from the Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party to the Ban 1080 Party to 1Law4All to The Civilian Party. A total of 20 parties are registered with the Electoral Commission.

Actually I might do a round-up of the minor parties if I can be bothered.

McGillicuddy Serious Party still around?

I’m not very up to date - are there any “big issues” at stake this time round (will labour buy back assets again, national continue to sell?)

McGillicuddy Serious disbanded back in 1999.

As for the big issues, the Hager book has dominated this week’s coverage. For a (reasonably accurate) breakdown of the major parties’ policies go here.

…and Judith goes down.

And Slater wants to take the Prime Minister to the Privacy Commissioner.

What an odd couple of weeks its been.

Indeed, I can’t remember any PM firing a senior cabinet minister less than a month out from an election.

Here’s the best summaryI can find of what Collins was involved with.

I guess the US equivalent would be someone like Angelo Mozillo hiring a bunch of bloggers to attack the integrity of the SEC, and then having Eric Holder provide them with information.

I noticed this morning at Wynyard (one of the major Sydney CBD stations) that a couple of people were handing out flyers about the NZ election: targetting the ex-pat community presumably.

There are 16 polling places around the country:

• Adelaide
  • Alice Springs
  • Brisbane
  • Canberra (2)
  • Darwin
  • Gold Coast
  • Hobart
  • Melbourne (2)
  • Perth
  • Sydney (5)

Total number of NZ citizens resident in Australia - estimated at 600,000 in 2012
Total enrolment for the election - 3,067,525 as of yesterday.

The expat vote could be a big factor…

So Australia is the biggest New Zealand electorate?

A fortnight until the election: what are the polls saying?