2020 is hindsight, lets rant about 2021 (January minirants)

I’m sick and tired of reading people with the same reading skills as a sovereign citizen looking at the Constitution and going “Trump can’t issue any pardons because he’s impeached.” That’s not what the text says, you have to stretch like crazy for that to be what was meant, and the only good thing about it is it tells me whose opinions to ignore going forward.

Your vet knows, yes? Perhaps word can get out through vet offices.

No. We never went to the vet. The ER vet couldn’t find a heartbeat and that was it.

And this is DFW. My vet is two towns over and it’s just too vast.

I’m guessing the vet grapevine, even in DFW, is pretty effective. Either the ER vet or your vet (he or she lost a valued patient), could let it be known about this dog. You said you’ve seen a photo with the new happy family. Get that to your vet and let him/her know you would appreciate them sharing it appropriately.

And keep working on whoever in the city oversees whoever keeps adopting that dog out.

I agree with @KayT. Animal control needs to know that this dog is out there and can be dangerous to children and other animals. I’m astonished that the shelter adopted the dog out again. I’m so very sorry for your loss and your pain, @MandaJo. Reading about your experience is horrifying.

Animal control adopted her out. They know.

Thank you for the kind words.

Twitter has blocked my account for 12 hours because I had the gall to call my kitten a “Maine Coon” which is his breed, goddammit. I am not the only person temp-banned for using the phrase.

Why this was an issue tonight, and not on the dozens of other days I’ve had the audacity to call him that, I don’t know.

I do know that whoever set up that algorithm is an idiot, though.

How frustrating. But also inadvertently hilarious. Whenever things like this happen, I console myself with “I cannot wait to mini-rant about this!”

Whew, lucky I never talk about my pets… we have a Jersey Junglebunny and a Delaware Dago.

(Named Jemima and Guido the Goombah, for extra embarrassment…)

I am no longer blocked :cat2: I protested and got a long apology email stating they made “an error.”

I was in the supermarket yesterday buying some produce, and I needed a couple of red bell peppers. There were two different bins of red peppers, one for $2.99/lb, and one for $3.99/lb. The cheaper ones are a deeper red and have just as much flavor as the more expensive ones; they are also longer and more irregularly shaped. The only benefits of the more expensive ones are that they are more uniform and symmetrical in appearance, and are therefore better shaped if you are making something that requires whole peppers, like a stuffed peppers recipe.

As usual, I bought the cheaper ones, at $2.99.

When I got to the self-checkout, and plugged in the number, the peppers came up at $3.49/lb (a figure that was indicated nowhere at all on either display of peppers. I called over the woman who was supervising the self-checkout area, and explained the situation. She took the peppers away and spoke with someone, and then came back and said, “Actually, they’re $3.99 a pound.”

I said, “No, I remember distinctly looking at the price and choosing the cheaper ones, which are labelled as $2.99/lb.”

She said, “See this number on the side of the pepper [#4088]? That number is in the system as $3.99/lb.”

By now I’m actually starting to doubt myself a bit, but I was sure that I had picked the correct type of pepper from the correct basket (remember that there’s a clear visual difference between the two types).

I said to her, “I don’t doubt that this is the price in the system. What I’m saying is that there’s a big sign on the display saying that the particular peppers are $2.99/lb, and you folks need to stand by the prices you display.”

She was having none of it, so I left all of my stuff on the self-checkout stand, and walked half-way back up the store to the produce section, where I used my phone to take a picture of the relevant bin, showing not only the peppers, but the big price sign that said $2.99/lb, as well as the little number #4088 in the top corner of the price sign.

I brought my phone back to the self-checkout area, and showed the woman the picture, which clearly showed the peppers, the product number, and the price. She was immediately convinced, and was very nice and apologetic. She was also, apparently, unauthorized to to fix the problem, so she had to get a supervisor.

By now I’m feeling like a bit of a twat, because it was busy and there was a growing line for the self-checkout stations, and I had already used up a good three or four minutes to save less than a dollar. But I also believe that multi-billion dollar companies should give their customers accurate price information, and should fix the situation when they don’t.

The supervisor came over, and I explained the situation to her, and showed her the picture on my phone. The original store employee confirmed that I had just taken the picture a few minutes ago. But that was apparently not enough, so the supervisor had to take the peppers on another hike across the store to investigate, and I had to stand by the terminal with all my stuff feeling annoyed. She was probably only gone for about three minutes, but I swear it felt like ten.

And now that it’s clear that my peppers really are marked at $2.99/lb, the final indignity is that she cannot fix the problem on the self-checkout terminal, so I have to drag my ass and all of my produce over to a regular terminal where she rings up the peppers at the correct price. Easily ten minutes of delay for a grand total saving of about 80c.

Fuck me!

Sorry that happened to you. The very same thing happened to me the other day at my grocery store concerning sweet potatoes and the 99 cent price per lb. the produce clerk assured me of in the produce aisle, except I didn’t notice until I got home and read the fine print on the receipt. So I ended up paying $1.29lb, costing me $1.25 more than it should have.

Had I caught it at the store, my local store’s practice is to give you that item for free and apologize. Too much trouble to do anything about only $1.25 now, but it sure irks me as I’m on a tight Social Security budget and that $1.25 is now no longer there for my beloved k-cup coffee pods or longed for fresh-baked sourdough bread later in the month. But that store can now be sure that I will now slow everything down a bit and scrutinize prices as they ring up in future trips.

What an ordeal, mhendo. Just think how much money and time that store could have saved by authorizing the self-check supervisor to change the price quickly, maybe for anything under some pre-set amount. (Like they did for me at Whole Foods AND at Walmart. Interesting.)

How does a gym teacher who refuses to mask up around her students and makes them take off their masks in her class get a pass from the principal& superintendent?
Everyone else abides by the rules. The nonverbal autistic kids mask up, the wheezing morbid obese paraprofessional masks up, the kid in a wheelchair masks up, the construction workers passing through mask up, everyone in the building is wearing masks even the other gym teacher in the building wears a mask as do the students who attend his class mask up!

OH AND SHE HAS A RELEASE THE KRAKEN BUMBERSTICKER ON HER Audi Q7 dumbass put it on the rear drivers side door panel. Reasons schmeasons I used to like her she’s dead to me now.

If I were you, every day I would sending an email reporting that to the superintendent, the principal and the School Board. If others are masking because it is local policy, she doesn’t get to absolve herself of that mandate, period.

I’ve written then deleted. What I want to do is go to the source and get up in her face about it. Then go to the admins. Also insist the janitorial staff spray down the gym after she leaves.

If you get a refillable pod and use your own coffee, you’ll save a ton of money and you’ll be drinking far better coffee. Most keurig machines can accept refillable pods now. If not, ways to convince it are Google-able. Google tells me there are 41+ pods per pound of coffee.

The Girl Scouts have discontinued my favorite flavour: Thanks-a-Lot, a shortbread cookie with a chocolate bottom, is no more.

I have a MASSIVE sad about this. On the other hand, my wallet will probably thank me.

You should move back out here. Standard practice in such cases is to give the customer the item for free (although self-checkout may complicate the situation).

Actually, store policy said that this is what they were supposed to do, but I was so keen to get out of there that I completely forgot to point it out.

Mmm, a Thanks-a-Lot (or two) dipped in coffee…

Screw the virus and the insurrection; THIS is the American tragedy of '21.