2021 NFL QB Carousel Thread aka the NFL Offseason Thread

Not only that but I imagine if your whole team is vaccinated that might allow you to ease up on training restrictions, and it can be hard to cut down your roster before the season. One player being vaccinated vs one that isn’t can help make that easier.

Also if a player isn’t willing to get the shot when you announce that you’ll cut those who don’t, then you see who’s really committed.

No, that’s the hockey team.

Colt Brennan dead at 37.

Better known for college football and crazy numbers with Hawaii, but tried to make a go of it in the NFL.

Being so young and no cause of death being released makes me think we won’t like the reason when it’s released.

A little bit of additional information on ESPN, and you’re right, it sounds likely to be tragic.

The dingbats online are trying to pin his death on CTE. He may or may not have had some degree of the disease, but his history of drug abuse and irresponsible behavior goes way back to high school.

Safe bet the eventual story will be both sad and predictable.

So does his history of being repeatedly hit in the head. But, of course, without more information, including an autopsy, there’s really no way to know. If someone is saying his death was definitely due to CTE, they’re talking out of their third point of contact. If they’re saying CTE was probably a factor, they have a pretty good chance of being right, just statistically.

The article from Hawaii, to which @dalej42 linked, noted the 2010 car crash he was in, which left him unconscious for a week, and, in his own words, “I woke up and I was, and I still am, a different person;” it also notes that those around him felt that his legal problems stemmed from that crash; the ESPN article indicates that he had suffered a traumatic brain injury in the crash.

It may never be known what, if any, role his football career played in his problems, and his death, given the later head injury from the crash. Regardless, it seems pretty clear that he became increasingly troubled, and the Hawaii article, which has been updated, is now also noting that the cause of death was a drug overdose.

Not really. CTE is not proven to be causative. Only correlated with mental illness. And in Colt’s case he’s been a serious alcohol and drug abuser going back to HS where he was a bench warmer for Matt Leinart. He wasn’t taking many hits holding a clip board.

The reality is that this is just his addiction running it’s course. His addiction probably led to him suffering a serious head injury in that car crash. Not the other way around.

Of course the people close to him prefer that narrative. But it doesn’t explain the legal and drug problems that started 5-6 years before the crash.

Frankly, I’m rather bemused that you’re so certain about all of this. But, since I don’t myself know anything about Colt Brennan other than a few bits and pieces I’ve read in the press, I’m going to leave it at that.

He isOmniscient”, after all.

To provide some information that gives a tiny bit of support to some of @Omniscient’s claims, here is an article from the NY Times from 2007:

In January 2004, while in college at the University of Colorado, “After a night of drinking, he was accused of sexual assault, indecent exposure, burglary and criminal trespass by a female neighbor.”

In September a jury found him guilty of unlawful sexual contact, but the charge was downgraded a few months later by a judge, who only found him guilty of second-degree burglary and first-degree criminal trespass. He ended up spending 7 days in jail and serving 60 days of community service. He was also expelled from his school.

However, from what I can tell that brush with the law (which seems pretty serious to me) was the only documented trouble he got into prior to the 2010 crash. And to provide some context, the University of Colorado was embroiled in controversy as it was revealed the week of his crime in January 2004 that the school was throwing sex parties for recruits. The NY Times characterized the school’s athletics as “a program run amok”. I’m not sure if that had anything to do with the drinking and subsequent crime, but it also suggests that personal addiction might not have been the reason for his intoxication.

He did come back to earn redemption in college athletics and was eventually drafted by Washington (though he was cut after 2 years, having a short NFL career). He had injury problems, starting with the Senior Bowl where he suffered a torn labrum. He later had hip and knee problems which required surgery and kept him off the field. There didn’t seem to be any behavioral or addiction problems at the time, and if he was an addict you’d think that while being on IR you would see those issues becoming predominant.

He was a passenger in that crash, so…

So now it’s the annual drip drip drip of schedule leaks before the whole thing is released.

I will say that Bears/Rams is an odd choice for the first NBC Sunday night game. They haven’t (yet) leaked the Monday night game, maybe they’re tossing ESPN a good one to help with ratings. I think I remember reading they weren’t doing the MNF double header on week 1 this season.

Perhaps a bit. There will be some storylines there though. Stafford’s first Rams start against an old rival. Donald-Mack. Plus Bears-Rams has been a subtly interesting rivalry developing over the last couple years with critical late season matchups.

And of course, if Fields starts that’ll be a big story.

Just found this for MNF.

The Monday Night game makes sense as a way to fully open the new Vegas stadium, although I’d like for both teams to lose!

AFC North and NFC North have 8 of the top 9 hardest schedules in the NFL this year. Meanwhile, your Super Bowl Champ TB Bucs have the 4th easiest.

I,too, am not a fan of the teasing nature of the schedule release. Just put it out already.

The Packers reportedly signed Blake Bortles.

I need a nice cup of tea and a lie down.

Look at it this way - ain’t no way in heck Aaron Rodgers thinks the Packers are seriously considering Blake Bortles as some sort of long-term replacement plan for him.

Jordan Love needs a backup.

Bortles!

As a Bears fan, I welcome his addition to the NFC North.