2021 NFL QB Carousel Thread aka the NFL Offseason Thread

Uncoincidentally they are playing each other.

Dark times are coming for Packer fans. Maybe not this year, depending on how the Rodgers situation plays out, but the Packers have been consistently good-to-great for the past 30 years.

Bortles is kind of a punchline (at least in part due to The Good Place), but yeah, he’s definitely not who you would want as your starting QB if you had a choice. As I think about the future, I’m having flashbacks to the 1980s, when the Packers had such luminaries as Vince Ferragamo, Randy Wright, and Jim Zorn at quarterback.

I always find it hilarious that the Packers bemoan the misery of the 80’s…but they weren’t really that bad. One strike-shortened playoff appearance, 4 8-8 seasons and one 10-6 season. They only actually finished last twice in the decade.

True, they weren’t usually terrible (at least, not Buccaneers-level terrible, in that era), but they weren’t particularly good, either, and they usually weren’t very fun to watch. Even in that 10-6 year (the year that Majkowski came out of nowhere as quarterback), they couldn’t make it into the playoffs.

It also didn’t help that Forrest Gregg was their coach for a good chunk of the decade, and he built a dirty team culture, particularly on his defense.

They rarely finished last, true, but having Tampa Bay in their division helped with that.

Anyway, my broader point was that the Packers have had an impressive run of success (though they only have two championships to show for it), and there’s a pretty good chance that that run is nearing its end.

Forrest Gregg is a complete piece of shit. We all can agree on that.

And I’m looking forward to the “GB can’t find a starting QB era” starting. It’s gonna be a joy.

If Rodgers stays and eventually retires in a few years after a respectable 10-6 final season, leading to the Packers stumbling into drafting another surprise All-Pro QB with the 25th pick (or worse a 4th rounder) there will be a collective freak out from most of the NFC.

Some Packer fans trot out the 80s as some example of how they paid their dues and are entitled to the incredible good fortune they’ve had over the last 3 decades (not to mention the Lombardi years). It’s maybe the most cringe you’ll see in a random football debate online.

Taking advantage of the expanded numbers available, Bears safety Eddie Jackson changed from 39 to 4 and running back Damien Williams changed from 25 to 8. Things are going to look a little different this year with these numbers.

Don’t get me wrong – I fully recognize that the Packers have been incredibly fortunate to have two long-tenured Hall of Fame quarterbacks, back to back, and there’s no sense of entitlement here. I only note that the team did have that long “wandering in the wilderness” period after Lombardi retired (only two playoff appearances from '68 to '92), but even with that, there’s no god-given right to success in this league. :slight_smile: There may well be another long spell of mediocrity in the team’s near future, and I have no doubt that Bears fans, Lions fans, and Vikings fans won’t weep a single tear over it.

To be clear, I wasn’t calling you or anyone else on this board out on this. Just relating some of the things I’ve rolled my eyes at around the dark corners of the internet.

Ohh, I know. I just wanted to clarify that I’m not one of those goobs. All good!

This weird and off topic, but when I get email notifications about replies from you it shows what I assume is an old username for you still.

Very weird. Other than Discourse inserting a _ where there was a space in my user name under the old boards, I have the same user name I’ve had since I joined the SDMB in 2000.

Imgur
Very odd, the theme for the names are similar so I assumed it was at one time intentional. Probably a topic for ATMB.

Edit: After a closer look it appears that Discourse supports proper names in addition to usernames, that looks like what’s being shown. Sorry for the digression.

Oh! That was my “paid title” back in the old system, and I have it set as my “full name” here. I think I didn’t realize it used that as my name in notifications. Thanks for the heads-up!

Ryan Kerrigan signs with the Eagles, interesting to see what he’s got left in the tank.

Tim Tebow merchandise is now the top seller. What a crazy cult he brings with him, he’s surely going to get cut after pre season

The Falcons send likely HoFer Julio Jones, his 32 year old body, his 15.3 million dollar contract, and a sixth round draft pick to the Tennessee Titans for second and fourth round draft picks next year.

Jones clearly is no longer in the conversation as the best WR I’m the league and his injuries cost him 7 games last year. But he still can put up numbers (3 100 yard games and a 15.1 ypc last year), and will likely help the Titans passing attack. Think Larry Fitz circa 2015/2017, if healthy.

Good for the Titans. There is an injury risk, but the price was at discount (Falcons originally wanted a 1st rounder), and while the contract is overpaying, they’re a contending team that he can help.

And as a side note: I am seriously concerned with the Packers hyping how well Jordan Love looks at OTAs. Just shut the hell up, fucking apologize, pay Rodgers his money and restructure, and be compete for a Super Bowl again.

I think Rodgers is past the apology and bribe stage. I don’t think he’ll ever play for the Packers again. It’s just a matter of whether they trade him or he walks.

I think the Packers are too stubborn to trade him. My money is on he walks.

And Rodgers is officially holding out from mandatory off-season workouts. Not a good sign for GB. Maybe he’ll want to sign with the Patriots? :wink:

He’s under contract with the Packers for the next several years. His only choices are to play for Green Bay or sit out until his contract’s done. He’s trying to force Green Bay to trade him, but he doesn’t have the freedom to just sign wherever he wants.