2022 US Senate Races

If I thought I understood and appreciated the extent of those motivations in a candidate, they would still be useful guideposts. No candidate is entirely all of one thing or all of the other, but some are definitely more one than the other, and those driven by little more than ambition will rarely get my vote. There are certainly other previous Presidents who, loving history as I do, I would say were more motivated by public service than mere ambition.

I would include Eisenhower in that list.

I should have added him. I agree that he ran for purposes of public service rather than ambition. Unfortunately that still means we have somewhere around a 5 - 10 % rate, at least for winning candidates for POTUS.

I’m not sure that “ambitious” is the proper contrast to “public service minded”. Maybe “opportunistic?” Any politician who successfully reaches the Presidency is almost by definition ambitious. It takes incredible personal drive and determination to succeed in order to ascend to those heights. For most of his life, Washington was ferociously ambitious in advancing his reputation and station. Likewise, Eisenhower didn’t get to be Supreme Allied Commander by just being happy to help. But both men also understood the political potency of declaiming personal ambition and expressing reluctance to embrace higher office.

Agreed. Hence my use of the phrase “mere ambition” in the first place.

Jeff Jackson dropped out of the 2022 Senate race in NC. He was considered a top candidate. He endorsed Cheri Beasley who is now the favorite

The Missouri race seems like it’ll be fun to watch from a distance.

This was probably for the best. Jackson was almost literally a clone of Cal Cunningham (without, as far as I know, the penchant for adultery). For years the Democrats playbook in the South has been to run blandly photogenic, politically ambiguous white men who try to hide that they’re Democrats and go mealy-mouthed on what policies they support. And yet they broke through in Georgia with a Black pastor and Jewish documentary film maker who were unapologetic about their progressive positions.

I don’t know if Beasley is the best candidate (she lost her own race for reelection as Chief Justice by a whisker), but I do believe that Democrats improve their odds when they run candidates who can draw contrasts with Republicans rather than seeming like watered-down versions of them.

OK, just to update.

1 Democrat is retiring.
Leahy, VT

5 Republicans are retiring.
Toomey, PA
Portman, OH
Burr, NC
Blunt, MO
Shelby, AL

Only one of these (Pennsylvania) seem to lean Democratic. But then again one more seat would help a lot.

I wonder if NC would be a toss-up, being without the advantage of incumbency?

Maybe. It is a shame Virginia and Texas are not in play. They would also be bellwethers.

I certainly wouldn’t put any money on it, but it’s possible that Ohio elects a Democrat.

We have one already in Sherrod Brown, and he’s won re-election fairly well, so it’s not unprecedented.

We’ll have to see who ends up actually getting the nomination from both parties to get a better idea, but I wouldn’t count Ohio out, yet.

Could be fun to watch. On the other hand, we can publish the names of the winners in the Texas House races now.

Interesting situation brewing in Pennsylvania (besides the ridiculous Dr. Oz candidacy). Dem party insiders appear to be favoring Conor Lamb but Lt. Gov. Jawn Futterman is hoovering up the ground roots money and support. Fetterman is really good on social media.

Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson has changed his mind about his promise not to seek a third term and will run for re-election:

If Wisconsin Dems get a fair shot at voting (and having those votes counted), Ron Johnson is beatable imho. That’s an observation, not a prediction, btw.

Fetterman is a swell guy. But I doubt he will get many Republican votes and the state is very evenly split. He may not be the best choice in an off-year election.

I think Fetterman is the type that might get a few Republican votes. He looks and sounds like a Republican, even though his issue stances are very progressive. That stuff can matter, sad as it is.

I have a very negative view of Fetterman, he’s way too online.

But, I don’t live in PA, I’d support Lamb if I did.

While the Republican majority in the Wisconsin Legislature has attempted to emulate the voter suppression measured passed in other red states, the Democratic governor has vetoed every voting bill they’ve passed. That’s not to say everything’s roses with voting rights out there, but at least they’ve avoided the worst of it.