2024 SDMB Celebrity Death Pool

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!!!

The Rules:

1. You pick 13 celebrities (that’s thirteen, not ten) whom you predict will die within the calendar year 2024. If any of your celebrities dies, you score 100 points minus their age at death. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year wins the undying snort admiration of the SDMB.

2. All picks must be time- and date-stamped by midnight CST, Dec. 31st, 2023. (That’s U.S. Central time, which is six hours behind Greenwich.)

3. Valid picks are not

a. already dead
b. a fictional character
c. non-human
d. under age 18 at death, 'cause we’re macabre but not THAT macabre.
e. a registered member of the SDMB, 'cause that would be weird
f. famous solely as a result of their illness or associated actions/events.
g. listed as “any member of whatever group”

It’s really hard to define “celebrity” Best we can do is someone who’s death is rather widely reported in major media outlets, because of something they’ve done, be it art, politics, athletics, science, music, the military, or even serial murder. It’s not going to be your Aunt Mabel who was in the local paper because her apple pie won first place in the county fair. HOWEVER if you Do have a question about whether or not someone else’s choice qualifies, please, I’d prefer a PM about it to start off with, rather than thrashing it out in public and possibly causing resentment. Remember, people, it’s only a game. It’s supposed to be fun, Fun FUN!!!

1. You can pick people who are 100 or more years old but you won’t score points for them. See the “Quantity Not Quality” award, below.

2. If we are uncertain about the celebrity’s age at death, we will go by the higher age (lower score).

3. Prisoners held on death row will be valid for scoring points only if they die by means other than official execution.

4. Any poster who kills or otherwise contributes to the death of any celebrity mentioned in this thread is disqualified. The only exceptions to this rule would be deaths caused by those posters serving as members of the police or armed forces of any country, in the line of duty.

5. Editing your choices: be careful! You can make changes to your list before the end of the year, but it has to be clear which names are your final choices. It might be advisable to submit one or more “alternates” with your list, in the event that one of your picks dies during December 2023. If you have no alternates, and one of your picks has died the remaining twelve will be all you have. You may have no more than 13 picks. If you pick more than 13, or if any of your picks is otherwise invalid, I may ask for clarification. Otherwise, I will submit the first 13 names on your list. Do me a favor: check twice, post once.

Sharing news of celebrities in ill health and whatnot is up to individual posters.

If a poster playing the game gets banned during the year, this does not invalidate their entry, although they won’t be able to gloat in the thread if and/or when they do get points.

If a player changes their username at some point, post this news on the thread, or PM me, so I know who you are.

Players who pass away themselves during the year will still have their points counted, and will receive a special award, or notice, when the year is over.

Some celebrities have common, identical or similar names. It is helpful to be specific.

Spelling counts! Please try to spell celebrities’ names correctly. In 2023 I had Rosalynn Carter’s name spelled three different ways, and almost lost one. Names that weren’t originally spelled in English can be tricky, I know, but if you aren’t sure of a name, try looking at what a major news outlet, like CNN or the BBC, uses.

While all deaths garnering points must occur during the calendar year, I know that a death might go unreported for a day or so. So, I will not post official total points for at least 24 hours after 12/31/2024 If you find that one of your picks died, say, late on 12/31/2024, and you didn’t hear about it until late on Jan. 1, 2025(this is a not so subtle hint to check your lists)then post a cite at once, and you will get your points. After that you will be out of luck.

Additional awards:

The “Opening Kickoff” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the first listed celebrity to die in 2024

The “Quantity Not Quality” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the greatest number of celebrities who died, regardless of their actual point value.

The “Inside Track With the Grim Reaper” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who had the most unique picks that died.

The “Robbing the Cradle” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the youngest celebrity to die in 2024 but see rule 3.d.

The “Final Hours” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the last listed celebrity to die in 2024

I have a spreadsheet that allows me to post game standings and produce various other statistics. The pain is “loading” the data into the sheets. So if a person is born by one name and refered to by another, use the most common one. I refer to it as the “Pope” rule, that is, use the name a celebrity is most commonly known by. It isn’t necessarily their birth name. If a person is known primarily by a titled name, please use that. So it wouldn’t be Jorge Bergoglio, it would be Pope Francis. And don’t put down Charles Windsor, put down King Charles III. If you do pick George or Chuck, under their lesser known names, I might not notice it, to give you those points if and when they shuffle off this mortal coil and go to join the choir invisible. And please, let me mention again, check your spelling of names!!!

And second, post your list in a plain format. An example of a plain list follows here:

Pete Arredondo
Greg Abbott
Dan Patrick
Ken Paxton
Ted Cruz
John Cornyn
Tony Gonzales.
Don McLaughlin
Mandy Gutierrez
Christina Mitchell Busbee
Tucker Carlson
Lindsey Graham
Paul Gosar

However, I know that many of you like to include commentary within your lists, such as:

Pete(I wasn’t in charge) Arredondo

That’s fine, it’s entertaining. But if you do that, please include the list again in plain format for me to copy & paste.

It’s good to be the Death Mistress!!

Have fun, sickos, and “May the odds be ever in your favor!”

Can’t wait! I’ll be back in here around 11:58pm CST, December 31. Thanks for doing this again, Baker!

Here we go again!

I’ve got plenty of leftovers from this year’s list. Not only do I have 10 people on my 2023 list who are still above ground, but I replaced four people on my initial list with four others on 12/31 last year, and I believe all of the four who I replaced are still alive and kicking.

My early list as usual:

Jeanette Lee
Shannen Doherty
Linda Nolan
Michael James Whale
Jonnie Irwin
Vanessa Redgrave
Liza Minnelli
Vladimir Putin
Mutulu Shakur
Bruce Willis
Franz Beckenbauer
Michael J. Fox.
Ron Jeremy

Alternate:
Tim Curry

Will likely change it later, but as usual, putting here just in case I miss the deadline.

My list:

Tori Spelling

Dustin Hoffman

Christopher Walken

Barry Manilow

Kenneth Copeland (televangelist)

Billy Joel

Giuliana Rancic

Amitabh Bachchan (Bollywood actor)

Danny Estrin (Australian singer of the band Voyager and was part of Eurovision 2023)

Linda Ronstadt

Ric Flair (wrestler)
Stephanie Davis (British actress)

Alternate:

Danniella Westbrook

Jack Jones
Ratko Mladić
Stanley Mouse
William Bulger
Twink
Moulty
Richard Meltzer
Vic Dana
Wendy Carlos
Shani Wallis
Hayley Mills
Swamp Dogg
Archie Shepp

Leslie Caron
Peter Stampfel
Chubby Checker

A nost intriguing mix.

NB: I don’t do repeats. Lazy. So many possibilities, and you have a whole year to make a fresh list.

Also, I want all my picks to be uniques, so don’t anyone dare copy me!

Eugenia Cooney, Internet celebritiy, DOB 7/27/1994

Voice artist Cary Means, DOB 12:4/1966

Fred Haise, astronaut, DOB 11/14/1933

Jim Lovell, astronaut, DOB 3/25/1928

Andy Taylor, musician in Duran Duran, DOB 2/16/1961

Johnnie Irwin, British tv personality, DOB 11/18/1973

Roger Corman, director, DOB 4/5/1926

Tori Kelly, singer, DOB 12/14/92

Ruth Buzzi, actress, DOB 7/24/36

Dick Vitale, sportscaster, born 1939

Joe Exotic, DOB 3/5/1963

Linda Ronstadt, singer, DOB 7/15/1946

Just a tentative list, here as a placeholder. This list isn’t official, and will change as we go along.

Superdude, will you then be making a plain list please?

I did all right this year, but have now got to determine several names to fill in the gaps the deaths left. This may take a couple of weeks.

However, the less said about my Themed list the better.

Here’s my list with 2 alternates. Note that the Pete Wilson on my list is the former California governor, not another Pete Wilson.

Ed Begley Jr.
Anita Bryant
Len Cariou
Dick Cheney
Bill Cosby
Joseph DeAngelo
Harrison Ford
Bill Gothard
Mitch McConnell
Ted Nugent
Phil Robertson
John Stossel
Pete Wilson

alternates:
Rob Reiner
Frankie Valli

Bob Newhart
Raymond Teller
Leslie Fish
Donald Trump
Lewis Black
Frankie Valli
Ed Koch
Robert Silverberg
James Spader
Cher
Andrea Martin
Samuel A. Alito, Jr.
Mike Ditka

Alternates:
Joe Namath
Billie Jean King

Yes, I will. I didn’t do it on that post because I’ll still be revising it until the due date.

I thought Ed Koch passed in 2013.

Shit-I meant Rudy Giuliani

New List:
Bob Newhart
Raymond Teller
Leslie Fish
Donald Trump
Lewis Black
Frankie Valli
Rudy Giuliani
Robert Silverberg
James Spader
Cher
Andrea Martin
Samuel A. Alito, Jr.
Mike Ditka

Alternates:
Joe Namath
Billie Jean King

Updated My list:

Tori Spelling

Dustin Hoffman

Christopher Walken

Barry Manilow

Kenneth Copeland (televangelist)

Billy Joel

Giuliana Rancic

Amitabh Bachchan (Bollywood actor)

Danny Estrin (Australian singer of the band Voyager and was part of Eurovision 2023)

Linda Ronstadt

Ric Flair (wrestler)

Stephanie Davis (British actress)

Hayden Panettiere

Alternate:

Daniella Westbrook

Sadly, cut & paste
Regular Death Pool List 2024

Tucker Carlson - commentator

Sen. Ted Cruz – Texas Senator

Rep. Matt Gaetz – Florida Congressman

Rudy Giuliani – (former) attorney

Sen. Lindsey Graham - SC Senator

Marjorie Taylor Greene – Georgia Congressperson

Sean Hannity - commentator on Fox News

Rep. Jim Jordan - Ohio Congressman

Ivanka Kushner - (former) Presidential Advisor

Jared Kushner – (former) Presidential Advisor

Sen. Mitch McConnell - Kentucky Senator

Stephen Miller – (former) Presidential Advisor

Donald Trump – (former) U.S. President

Plain List:

Tucker Carlson

Ted Cruz

Matt Gaetz

Rudy Giuliani

Lindsey Graham

Marjorie Taylor Greene

Sean Hannity

Jim Jordan

Ivanka Kushner

Jared Kushner

Mitch McConnell

Stephen Miller

Donald Trump

Alternates
Samuel Alito
Clarence Thomas

Perhaps I should have asked folks to post without spaces between choices. It makes it easier on the form I use. If you’ve already posted don’t worry about it though.