2023 SDMB Celebrity Death Pool

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!!! This past year has been a strange one, in many different ways, and 2023 hopefully will be better. Okay, as usual, let’s get the rules out of the way and get to playing.

The Rules:

1. You pick 13 celebrities (that’s thirteen, not ten) whom you predict will die within the calendar year 2023. If any of your celebrities dies, you score 100 points minus their age at death. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year wins the undying snort admiration of the SDMB.

2. All picks must be time- and date-stamped by midnight CST, Dec. 31st, 2022. (That’s U.S. Central time, which is six hours behind Greenwich.)

3. Valid picks are not:

a. already dead
b. a fictional character
c. non-human
d. under age 18 at death, 'cause we’re macabre but not THAT macabre.
e. a registered member of the SDMB, 'cause that would be weird
f. hostages held by terrorist organizations
g. famous solely as a result of their illness or associated actions/events.
h. listed as “any member of whatever group”

It’s really hard to define “celebrity” Best we can do is someone who’s death is rather widely reported in major media outlets, because of something they’ve done, be it art, politics, athletics, science, music, the military, or even serial murder. It’s not going to be your Aunt Mabel who was in the local paper because her apple pie won first place in the county fair. HOWEVER, if you DO have a question about whether or not someone else’s choice qualifies, please, I’d prefer a PM about it to start off with, rather than thrashing it out in public and possibly causing resentment. Remember, people, it’s only a game! It’s supposed to be fun, Fun FUN!!!

1. You can pick people who are 100 or more years old but you won’t score points for them. See the “Quantity Not Quality” award, below.

2. If we are uncertain about the celebrity’s age at death, we will go by the higher age (lower score).

3. Prisoners held on death row will be valid for scoring points only if they die by means other than official execution.

4. Any poster who kills or otherwise contributes to the death of any celebrity mentioned in this thread is disqualified. It’s just a game, people. The only exceptions to this rule would be deaths caused by those posters serving as members of the police or armed forces of any country, in the line of duty.

5. Editing your choices: be careful! You can make changes to your list before the end of the year, but it has to be clear which names are your final choices. It might be advisable to submit one or more “alternates” with your list, in the event that one of your picks dies during December 2022. If you have no alternates, and one of your picks has died the remaining twelve will be all you have. You may have no more than 13 picks. If you pick more than 13, or if any of your picks is otherwise invalid, I may ask for clarification. Otherwise, I will submit the first 13 names on your list. Do me a favor: check twice, post once.

Sharing news of celebrities in ill health and whatnot is up to individual posters.

If a poster playing the game gets banned during the year, this does not invalidate their entry, although they won’t be able to gloat in the thread if and/or when they do get points.

If a player changes their username at some point, post this news on the thread, or PM me, so I know who you are.

Players who pass away themselves during the year will still have their points counted, and will receive a special award, or notice, when the year is over.

Some celebrities have common, identical or similar names. It is helpful to be specific.

Spelling counts! Please try to spell celebrities’ names correctly. Names that weren’t originally spelled in English can be tricky, I know, but if you aren’t sure of a name, try looking at what a major news outlet, like CNN or the BBC, uses. In 2020 I found Trebek, as in Alex, spelled four different ways.

While all deaths garnering points must occur during the calendar year, I know that a death might go unreported for a day or so. So, I will not post official total points for at least 24 hours after 12/31/2023. If you find that one of your picks died, say, late on 12/31/2023, and you didn’t hear about it until late on Jan. 1, 2024(this is a not so subtle hint to check your lists)then post a cite at once, and you will get your points. After that you will be out of luck.

Additional awards:

The “Opening Kickoff” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the first listed celebrity to die in 2021.

The “Quantity Not Quality” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the greatest number of celebrities who died, regardless of their actual point value.

The “Inside Track With the Grim Reaper” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who had the most unique picks that died.

The “Robbing the Cradle” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the youngest celebrity to die in 2020, but see rule 3.d.

The “Final Hours” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the last listed celebrity to die in 2021.

List Format:

I have a spreadsheet that allows me to post game standings and produce various other statistics. The pain is “loading” the data into the sheets. I can do each list in a single cut and paste if you do the following two things. First, please observe, what I, Baker, refer to as the “Pope” rule, that is, use the name a celebrity is most commonly known by. It isn’t necessarily their birth name. If a person is known primarily by a titled name, please use that. So it wouldn’t be Jorge Bergoglio, it would be Pope Francis. And don’t put down Charles Windsor, put down King Charles III. For all I know there are other celebrities with the plain names. If you do pick George or Chuck, under their lesser known names, I might not notice it, to give you those points if and when they shuffle off this mortal coil and go to join the choir invisible. And please, let me mention again, check your spelling of names!!!

And second, post your list in a plain format. An example of a plain list follows here:

Pete Arredondo
Greg Abbott
Dan Patrick
Ken Paxton
Ted Cruz
John Cornyn
Tony Gonzales.
Don McLaughlin
Mandy Gutierrez
Christina Mitchell Busbee
Tucker Carlson
Lindsey Graham
Paul Gosar

However, I know that many of you like to include commentary within your lists, such as:

Pete(I wasn’t in charge) Arredondo

That’s fine, it’s entertaining. But if you do that, please include the list again in plain format for me to copy & paste.

It’s good to be the Death Mistress!

Have fun, sickos, and “May the odds be ever in your favor!”

First!

My list is rap performers. Unlike my political list last year I don’t dislike them, especially, but with their ages, if a couple hit, I’ll rocket to the top of the list.

Per the format rule, I’m listing their stage names. Birth names are available.

Drake
Lil Baby
Doja Cat
The Weeknd
Lil Durk
Juice WRLD
Polo G
Rod Wave
Post Malone
Moneybagg Yo
Megan Thee Stallion
J. Cole
Kanye West

Alternates:
Giveon
DaBaby
The Kid LAROI

This death pool stuff looks like fun. I’ve selected a bunch of people I admire and whom I hope will live forever, in the thought that when their deaths come, as they must inevitably to all, I will be (very weakly) consoled by the thought that at least I got something positive from the devastating horror of losing them forever.

Richard Dawkins

Loudon Wainwright

David Milch

Linda Ronstadt

Richard Dreyfuss

Thomas Pynchon

David Lodge

Lawrence Block

Joni Mitchell

Bob Dylan

Bill Bradley

Martina Navratilova

Tobias Wolff

Linda Rondstat has been a perennial on my list for the last few years. Between me and you, we’re ensuring her immortality.

Since I am entering December with zero points so far in 2022, I’m going to just reuse my 2022 list for 2023. Not doing any annotations this year as these are mostly commonly known celebrities listed by their known names.

PS Welcome back Death Mistress!

Shannen Doherty
Michael Schumacher
Eddie Murphy
John Travolta
Harvey Weinstein
Ozzy Osbourne
Dick Wolf
Bill Cosby
Berry Gordy
Ted Turner
Carl Bernstein
Robert Smith
Kanye West

Alternates:
Kim Jong-un
Julian Assange
Mitch McConnell

Note, Robert Smith in my list is the guitarist and singer/songwriter for The Cure - clarifying since it’s a more common name.

Samuel Alito
Steve Bannon
George W. Bush
Tucker Carlson
Dick Cheney
Anne Coulter
Sean Hannity
Laura Ingraham
Mtitch McConnell
Rupert Murdoch
Rand Paul
Donald J. Trump
Harvey Weinstein

Alternates:

Jim Inhofe
Hal Rogers
Clarence Thomas

People I wouldn’t miss much.

Voice artist Cary Means, DOB 12:4/1966 (I have seen his first name spelled both Cary and Carey)

Fred Haise, astronaut, DOB 11/14/1933

Jim Lovell, astronaut, DOB 3/25/1928

Ken Mattingly, astronaut, DOB 3/17/1936

Andy Taylor, musician in Duran Duran, DOB 2/16/1961

Jonnie Irwin, British tv personality, DOB 11/18/1973

Roger Corman, director, DOB 4/5/1926

Christine Amanpour, newscaster, DOB 1/12/1958

Tony Bennett, singer, DOB 8/3/1926

Ruth Buzzi, actress, DOB 7/24/36

Dick Vitale, sportscaster, born 1939

Joe Exotic, DOB 3/5/1963

Linda Rondstat, singer, DOB 7/15/1946

Clean list:

Carey Means

Fred Haise

Jim Lovell

Ken Mattingly

Andy Taylor

Jonnie Irwin

Roger Corman

Christine Amanpour

Tony Bennett

Ruth Buzzi

Dick Vitale

Joe Exotic

Linda Rondstat

King Charles III
Donald Trump
Pope Benedict XVI
Jimmy Carter
Shannen Doherty
Andy Taylor
Bob Barker
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Lou Gramm
Salman Rushdie
Bill O’Reilly
Liza Minelli
Ringo Starr

Alternate:
Tom Brokaw
William Shatner

Andy Taylor is the member of Duran Duran, just in case there’s more than one.

As usual, a preliminary list just in case I miss the deadline later in the month.

Dick Cheney
Jeanette Lee
Shannen Doherty
Linda Nolan
Shane MacGowan
Bruce Willis
Phil Collins
Pelé
John Patrick Ruffo
Vanessa Redgrave
Liza Minnelli
Joe Lieberman
Paul Hogan

Alternates:
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Harriet Miers
Bernadette Devlin
Tommy Tune
Mars Bonfire
Oliver R. Smoot
Robert Coover
Manfred Mann
Vladimir Pozner
Terence Stamp
Leontyne Price
Millie Perkins
Frank Gehry
Howie Carr

Nickey Barclay
Oksana Baiul
Caroll Baker

Gene Hackman
Willie Nelson
Emperor Akhito
Tony Bennett
Vanessa Redgrave
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Pelé
Dick Cheney
David Crosby
David Berkowitz
Shane MacGowan
Linda Nolan
Shannen Doherty

Alternates:
Hulk Hogan
Mickey Rourke
Paul Reubens

Dirty List:

Andy Dick (Actor/Comedian)
Michael Moore (Filmmaker)
Brian Wilson (Beach Boy)
Kathy Bates (Actress)
Sinead O’Connor (Singer/Songwriter)
Neal Brennan (Writer/Comedian)
Fran Lebowitz (Author/Speaker)
Russell Brand (English Comedian/Actor)
Demi Lovato (Singer/Actress)
John Mulaney (Writer/Comedian)

Alternates
Johnny Depp (Actor)
Wendy Williams (Talk Show Host)
Ozzy Osbourne (Singer/Songwriter)

Clean List:

Andy Dick
Michael Moore
Brian Wilson
Kathy Bates
Sinead O’Connor
Neal Brennan
Fran Lebowitz
Russell Brand
Demi Lovato
John Mulaney

Alternates
Johnny Depp
Wendy Williams
Ozzy Osbourne

You left off his second I again. His buddies are calling him “One-eyed Aki.”

Thanks. I obviously do not learn from past mistakes.

Trying again, fixing a spelling error.

Gene Hackman
Willie Nelson
Emperor Akihito
Tony Bennett
Vanessa Redgrave
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei
Pelé
Dick Cheney
David Crosby
David Berkowitz
Shane MacGowan
Linda Nolan
Shannen Doherty

Alternates:
Hulk Hogan
Mickey Rourke
Paul Reubens

Mostly old people

Ben Ferencz,
Janice Paige
Glynis Johns,
Bob Barker
Arlen Dahl
Lee Grant
June Lockhart
Dick Van Dyke
David Attenborough
Roger Corman
Mel Brooks
John Stephen Akhwari
James Harrison

I could not find an exact birthdate for John Stephen Akhwari but he was born in 1936. So if he does die I’ll count his birthday as having passed, to get a one point lesser score.

James Harrison is the Australian blood donor, donating over 1100 times, between whole blood, platelets, and plasma. He is credited with saving over 2 millions lives, as a unique number of blood factors in his system were used to develop an RH treatment.

You mean your past mstakes?

That’s only ten on your list.

Here’s mine. Copied and pasted from the similar thread on the 'Raffe.

Shirley MacLaine
Sophia Loren
Daniel Day-Lewis
Alan Alda
Margaret O’Brien
Tina Louise
Ringo Starr
Eric Burdon
Jeff Bridges (please no)
Beau Bridges
Ryan O’Neal
James Cromwell