24: Season 5: Episode 8 (2:00pm - 3:00pm)

I hate to say it, but I’m starting to think this should be the last season of 24. This was a solid episode and it’s early in the season, but so far this season has been reminding me a lot of season 2, and just isn’t giving me that “Can’t wait till the next episode” fever I used to have.

Though to be fair, Season 4 shook my faith in the season pretty badly, so maybe I’ve still to get the taste out of my mouth.

Let me just say this in President Wishy Washy’s defense:

He woke up this morning thinking it would be the highlight of his administration, signing the anti-terrorism accord, only to have it start off with former President Palmer assasinated (as well as some CTU agents), at first being told it was a formerly dead CTU agent who did it. Then hostages are taken at a major airport, where a couple are assinated…on TV, while he has to decide whether to sign the accord and possibly condemn the hostages to death, hoping for a possibly catastrophic rescue mission to come through, that includes the once dead (former) CTU agent. Only to learn after that success that the hostages were really just a ruse to get some terrorists some weapons grade nerve gas, that you later find out were aided by your main confidant, who thought he was helping the country by some cockamamie plan. But the double-cross got triple-crossed, the confidant killed himself, and the terrorists were in the process of getting proper triggering devices for the nerve gas containers. So then the terrorists, who aren’t even really that pissed at the US, want to test the triggers by releasing it a mall and suddenly you have to decide whether to take your field experts advice and now condemn 900 or so people in the mall to death in a horrifyingly nerve gassy way. Only to have that go to hell, and now your “experts” don’t now where the nerve gas is…at all. All the while, your wife, arguably justifyiably so, is giving you hell, because quite frankly it is hard to run the country when your wife is dellusional…even though she really isn’t. At least not right now she isn’t.

And the day ain’t even half over.

Your point, G.O.? That’s a pretty standard day in the 24iverse.

It was (I’m hoping unintentionally) funny watching him hold his breath as he ran out holding her… and then he waited around until she came to because that was an efficient use of time.

Also, didn’t anyone think that trying to capture a particular guy running away in a panic during an evacuation of 900 people running away in a panic might be slightly difficult?

You were followed. You know what to do.

You want me to shoot the guys who followed me?

No.

You want me to shoot you in case you’re captured, like those bodyguards Osama has?

No.

Look, I have to go home now. I rented Serenity over the weekend and haven’t seen it yet. Those late fees really bite.

Or MILLIONS will die!!!

You’re all missing a key element, here. The little girl that Jack saved isn’t just any little girl. She’s actually Kim’s pre-Chase daughter from a fling she had with one of the kidnappers in Day 1. Later on, when the now-rescued girl discovers that Jack is her grandad, she’ll be taken to CTU, where she’ll wind up being a supergenius whose computer skills are superior to Chloe’s.

Edgar will fall in love with the little girl, causing him to be fired for inappropriateness, Chloe will quit in a huff because she couldn’t admit someone else was better than her, Audrey and what’s-her-face-from-Mojave will abandon Jack because neither of them is ready to be a grandmother, Lynn will get locked outside of CTU because he has no keycard, so he’ll just go home, and Jack will be left on Day 6 with the task of rebuilding a crumbled CTU with Tony, who will have had life-saving cyborg implants by then.

Cite, please?

I think most of that was covered in a Nikita episode.
BTW, MUY-kull or Jack? Michael’s a sneaky so-in-so.

And it kind of seemed like in the time it took to explain to her what he was going to do he could have, you know, snatched her up & had her downstairs and away from the gas. Didn’t seem like she was gonna put up much of a fight.
“OK little girl, you suck up some more gas while I talk to you about putting the mask on.”

Oh, and despite the fact that the show seems to be doing a good job of spoofing itself lately, I’d love to see this happen.

Good gad, a buffyized 24.