24: Season 7: Episodes 3-4 (10:00am - 12:00noon)

What? You mean by pistol whipping it?

What’s the deal with the law firm?

He broke the cylinder lock off and hot wired it. My 2000 Pontiac turns off the fuel pump when it thinks the lock is busted. Sometimes, it ain’t. :mad:

What IS with the law firm?

It’s a West Wing reference. Rob Lowe’s character (Sam Seaborn), was a lawyer for the firm of Gage/Whitney before he joined Martin Sheen’s staff as a speech writer.

The West Wing is pretty much my favorite show of all time, so I was bound to catch that. :wink:

It’s troubling. I’m just saying the show’s worldview is too black and white to present a reasoned debate on the subject. And I’m not really bothered by that. If even half the people Jack tortured were really innocent, the show would be a black comedy.

The scene was a strawman, in my opinion, and not a good one. Super agent Jack on one side, with thousands of lives saved, and this whiny senator on the other, trying to use the law to stop him from helping people? Presenting any of it as realistic is more ethically questionable than just doing the show- it’s pure fantasy and pretending it’s a serious debate is dishonest as far as I’m concerned.

Besides, and maybe I’ve said this before, in the 24-verse, there wouldn’t be any senatorial oversight of the national security agencies. The U.S. has been hit, what, six times by terrorists in this world? Some of them very serious attacks, like the nuclear bomb and the virus and the reactor meltdown. The country would be a quasi-fascist dictatorship. There wouldn’t be any senators to grill Jack.

Hell, my 96 Kia wouldn’t start sometimes if the ignition and the stick weren’t both in exactly the right position. (I got that fixed. It was a problem with the steering column… I wish I were Jack Bauer sometimes.)

No one make fun of me for owning a Kia please. :wink:

Okay, we all know there is a double-double cross lurking in the future. Any chance Tony really is a bad guy now? And I am suspicious of Warden Norton…err the President’s adviser guy as being one of the infil-traitors.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I completely agree that’s it’s essentially fantasy at the core. Jack is little more that Captain America without the costume.

As a matter fact I’ve often defended the show on those grounds alone. It’s just nice that they’re acknowledging those issues in the current political climate. (Even if they didn’t resolve the issue.)

I’m curious though, does anyone else think the hearing was a bad idea in theory? (I should really go back and read the first thread. In fact I’ll do that now…)

Not within the next 24 hours, though.

We shall see. (I hope)

Except Jack. And Bill. And Chloe.

Didn’t get to watch the second half, but I just want to say that I’m actually ok with Tony turning out to be a good guy, even though I thought I’d be annoyed by it. I forgot how much fun it was for Jack and Tony to team up.

I was really digging it until Emmerson took Jack into his crew. Too stupid a move to be worthy. Plus I instantly grew tired of Tony Almeida and his world-weary single syllable dialogue. Kind of let the air out for me.

Bill pulled off a great skid with that van, though.

Of course, I’ll continue to watch :D.

Well, Bill, Chloe, and Tony did think that the “We will let the bad guys have something really dangerous but never let it out of our sights” plan would actually work for once.

I agree with mack that if Emmerson is savvy enough to have gotten this far there is no way he would take in Jack.

Here’s a question: Who’s paying for the CTU Cathedral or whatever that building is? I’m hoping a not yet seen Wayne Palmer.

Dude, Wayne Palmer’s probably dead.

Yeah, and Tony Almeida was completely dead. This is 24. :smiley:

Money confiscated from terrorists or Chloe’s dipping into certain online bank accounts. :slight_smile:

How is it that every baddie has heard of Jack Bauer and his antics, but none of them know that he’s faked being evil before and that he never is? It’s like knowing your boyfriend is an asshole, but thinking that things will be different this time.

And wouldn’t you think that after running a clock on this show for five years, the producers would realize that the second hour of last night’s show took place from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon, and not as they indicate 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Thankfully the originator of this thread got it right.

I thought noon was considered PM, midnight AM.