Yes sir, that’s seven new registered users today. The SDMB raked in a cool $104.65 today! As a frequent PetSmart shopper I can certify that’s good for at least six months of hamster food.
But it’s not all good news. Six new members were banned - possibly because they were all the same person. We’ll never know for sure of course.
I wonder if today was an average day at the Straight Dope Registration server.
I went to the main page where it says “welcom our newest member” and opened that profile. Then I subtracted 1 from the member number in the URL until I got to the first member who joined on today’s date.
By the way, EdwardWagemann just joined as a registered member. Make that $119.60!!
[QUOTE=Patty O’Furniture]
But it’s not all good news. Six new members were banned - possibly because they were all the same person. We’ll never know for sure of course.
I wonder if today was an average day at the Straight Dope Registration server.
[/QUOTE]
They were all different people.
Today was an extremely unusual day for the Registration server. I don’t believe that I’ve witnessed this many spammers in one day since I’ve been a mod.
As far as I know, Registered User does not mean paying member. If I remember correctly, it is the default title used by vBulletin when someone registers a name. Then, when this person answers the e-mail the system sends them, their title changes to Guest. If they pay, it changes to Member.
[QUOTE=Lobelia Overhill]
How come some people are Charter Member and others are just Member?
[/QUOTE]
Some animals are more equal than others.
Not really. If you signed up when we went to paid subscriptions, you became a Charter Member. You can retain that title by resubscribing on time every year.
New Members after the original sign up period are just called members.
I did pay up when it went subscription… although I did go away again after someone decided I was the World’s Biggest Pain in the Arse and someone else in response to party of the first part’s post called me “that person” like I was something they’d stepped on while walking their dog.
Or something
[QUOTE=Patty O’Furniture]
Maybe that works out to $365k Canadian. I mean, check out the accent:
[/QUOTE]
The “aboot” meme is tiresome. It’s actually “a-boat”.
Seriously, of the new members, how many will stay around for more than a year? Is the number of new paid members larger than the number of those who don’t renew their memberships? I know SDMB management is less than transparent, and finances are understandably confidential, but still, this is something of a community, and its members have a interest in knowing what’s going on behind the scenes.