3 Big Truck questions

While out and about today I saw 3 signs that relate to trucks…could anybody explain there?

1…TRUCKS - NO BOBTAIL PARKING

2…TRUCKS - NO JAKE BRAKE 9PM-9AM

3…(before going on a steep winding mountain road)
TRUCKS AND SEMI-TRAILERS KINGPIN TO REAR AXLE NOT ADVISED

Phouchg
Lovable Rogue

I know #2…Jake Brakes are the loud brakes that some trucks have - here’s how they work. It’s sort of a repeated loud “popping” noise (at least that’s how I hear it). I can see where it would be an annoying sound in a residential area.
Can’t help you on the others.

1. Bob Tail means no trailer.

2. Rear kingpin means don’t have your rear wheels moved to the last setting.

From the Straight Dope mailbag/staff: What are “jake brakes” and why are they prohibited in some locations?

A bobtail is the tractor of a tractor-trailer unit. (The cab with the really short–or bobbed–back end). Why somone would ban parking of those units (as opposed to banning all 60+ feet of the whole rig), I don’t know.

The kingpin sign would make more sense (to me) if there was a length posted on the sign.
The kingpin is the vertical shaft or pin that locks into the “fifth wheel” on a truck and allows the trailer to turn while being pulled.
A sign warning that trucks longer than x feet, or trailers longer than x feet between the kingpin (where they attach to the tractor) and the rear axle are considered dangerous on a road with narrow, sharp curves makes sense. Without a distance included, I’m not sure that I am using the terms in the same way.

I suspect that they ban bobtail parking in areas that are set aside for full rigs; it’s like not parking your car in the bus spaces at Six Flags.

You are correct - now that I recall, it did say that for Trucks/trailers longer than 30 feet. The road (CA hwy 74) is an extremely windy narrow mountain road.

Phouchg
Lovable Rogue