3-D Graphics Shareware or Freeware

I’ve been playing around with SketchUp (from Google), and it’s not bad, but it has some really annoying “features”. Anybody got a favorite freeware program that is similar? Maybe I’m asking too much of something that is free…

I’m using this program to design a deck and outdoor cooking/eating area that my sister wants to add onto her house. Seeing it in 3-D is a big help.

Well, there’s Blender - but that’s not really for the same purpose as Sketchup.

How about 3D Canvas?

It’s only for modeling, but damn is it nice.
Wings 3D

What “features” of Sketchup are annoying you? I’ve found it generally excellent, although figuring out how to avoid some pitfalls took a lot of work.

Maybe I’m still just learning how to avoid the pitfalls. But it wants any line you draw to stick to surface so badly that it’s often impossible to draw a line on a different plane than any surface it happens to cross. Plus, it automatically sticks any two objects together once they touch, even if you don’t want them to.

I’ve only been using it for 2 days, and I’m getting a lot better at it. I still can’t reliably rotate an object on any axis, though, and that should be very easy.

Mangetout: I’l check out 3-D Canvas. Thanks.