3 in 1 oil question, and moral support;)

My curved shower door feels gritty when you slide it.

I’ve clean and cleaned. Bought a particular thin brush for cleaning a crevice like the little gliders glide on.

Laying in bed it came to me. Lubricant. That’s the ticket.

Would 3 in 1 oil be safe for this operation?

I’m thinking of the tile finish and the gliders/wheels being that hard white plastic.

P.S. I can’t tell you how these kinda things bug me.

Silicone spray might be better, attract less dirt.

Good idea. Oil can gummy from dust, etc. And stay away from WD-40. It’s not meant to be a lubricant, although it’s treated that way. It might help to degunk your slides, but then would need to be wiped away.

And I’d actually up that to food-safe silicone lubricant spray for something that’ll be that close to my scantily clad bod.

WD-40 cures many such problems as well as human ills.

I have this issue with one of my folding closet doors that moves on little wheels. I’m going to try this solution on that.

Wax. Drip a little candle wax into the track and move the door back and forth to spread it around. Detritus won’t stick to it, it’s waterproof, and pretty harmless in all other ways, too. Oils and greases could damage the finish of your shower, and even worse, if it gets onto the pan, it’ll make it even more slippery. Nothing like calling 9-1-1 when you’re legs akimbo in your birthday suit in the shower because you broke a leg and can’t get up.

That’s not a terrible idea, except that it may be the wheels axles that are getting worn down, so may need to remove the doors to get at those with a wax candle.

Bike chain wax lubricant spray would make that easier without having to necessarily remove the doors.

There’s also drip chain wax lubes.

Oh. Wow. Lots to think about.

Those wheel things could be the problem. I definitely don’t wanna remove the doors.

Thanks all.

Plus, I’d be worried 3-in-1 oil might mess with the plastic parts as well.

Another option might be Super Lube. It’s a synthetic, food grade, clear grease that’s pretty cheap, and pretty much inert as far as plastic parts are concerned. And it’s a grease, so it’ll stay in place a little better than oil would in a shower, with hot water and soap everywhere.

Super Lube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease (NLGI 2) | Super Lube

Lanoline … organic grease/wax derived from sheep’s hair/wool (not the body) … its that stuff that keeps sheep wool impermeable to water and avoids (evolutionary) weighing down sheep after a long hard rain and making it an easy prey.

Smells like sheep, but the best part is its extremely non-ivasive and can be used on all kinds of material, where mineral oils are advised against, stuff like rubber or latex seals …

the 99% leftover you can apply to dry skin, or lips etc… (chapstick = 90% lanoline ->so that might also work :wink: )

follow up Q : isn’t silicon-spray just a fancy name for mineral oil (like 3 in 1 oil is) …

Short answer: no.

:wink:

Another vote for lanolin. Amazing stuff, and it won’t wash away. It’s the lubricant/corrosion inhibitor of choice on my boat for all my running/standing rigging and deck hardware.

I was all on board with lanolin until I got to this part:

No thanks!

What did I ever do to ewe??

Lanolin even comes with a handy applicator. See above.

there are “higher processed” Lanolins, that do not have that smell (and ear-wax aspect :wink: )

anhydrous is the key word that gets the sheep out of lanolin, it seems …

No, I’m virtually certain that isn’t true. What you are thinking of is petrolatum, i.e. petroleum jelly. I am very allergic to lanolin (and to wool) and I use chapstick a lot, plus lips are a sensitive tissue, so I’m sure if it had contained lanolin I would have known about it in minutes. (There may be a brand of lip balm that contains lanolin that I have not tried, but standard ones don’t.)

as per CS’s website:

(but it seems to a rather small degree)